Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Killer NIC Gaming Network card

Xtreme Addict
    Left for Dead and UT3 shows the biggest gains wow 30% on the min fps.Just think about a lan party,omg serious ownage.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 05-11-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Is it any point in buying a proper NIC instead of using realtek onboard? I can benefit even by 5 - 10 ms better ping. Any1 that bought some Intel's or killer NIC or something else just for lower pings?
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 05-11-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Mentor
    why isnt it compared to a any other proper Intel NiC half the price
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    why isnt it compared to a any other proper Intel NiC half the price
    QFT.

I would buy it if I think it's priced accordingly. But the lack of comparison with proper NIC's really puts me off...
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Member
    I guess if it's below 75$, i'd let it populate a slot on my p6t6 ws

Banned

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Is it any point in buying a proper NIC instead of using realtek onboard? I can benefit even by 5 - 10 ms better ping. Any1 that bought some Intel's or killer NIC or something else just for lower pings?
    I bought an intel NIC. It is much better then the onboard junk. However, an intel NIC can be had cheap, and in many situations will spank this pile of crap for what it's actually supposed to do. Pings did go down.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...me=PCI-Express

The cheap one will work fine.

Yes, onboard NIC is like onboard sound, it's crap. But there is no need to buy the killer NIC.
    AMD Phenom II BE, ASUS Crosshair II formula, 8gb ddr2 800, 470 SLI, PC P&C 750, arcera RAID, 4x OCZ Vertex2, 2x samsung 7200 1tb, HT Omega Clario +

Xtreme Addict
    anyone look at those graphs and realize they're all within margin of error?
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    Just think about a lan party,omg serious ownage.
    You need lower ping then a regular card gives you on a lan to own everybody? LOL.

Xtreme Mentor
    for 99% of the people the onboard nic is good enough the other 1% can go buy a cheap Intel nic.

But for them to release a new Killer NIC that would mean that people actualy bought the previous one
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Anand is supposed to review this before it hits shelves. I could see the usefulness of this product in particular scenarios but I'll hold judgment until I actually see a trusted reviewer have a go at it. Until then, pure speculation and product crapping.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    You need lower ping then a regular card gives you on a lan to own everybody? LOL.

Xtreme Addict
    Your the type to call people w/ good k/d ratio cheaters,the hardware makes a diff and every little bit counts.Every little bit.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by solus corvus View Post
    you need lower ping then a regular card gives you on a lan to own everybody? Lol.
    rofl
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

Xtreme Addict
    That's stupid look @ min fps,now go play ut3 maxed out w/64 player's on warfare.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just think about a lan party,omg seriously being pwned.

There, fixed it for you.

Xtreme Addict
    In the end you can buy whatever makes you happy and let's you think you're a pro

Your the type to call people w/ good k/d ratio cheaters,the hardware makes a diff and every little bit counts.Every little bit.
    The hardware in general makes little difference. If you're considering yourself a serious gamer then you're probably playing with low quality settings as well. If you're playing online it's more about reaction time, hand eye coordination, little bit of tactics and training.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post

But for them to release a new Killer NIC that would mean that people actualy bought the previous one

Well, you know what they say about fools and their money, right? Killer NIC owners fall into that category......

Actually, look up stupidity, idiocy, and/or fool and you'll see a Killer NIC owner as the reference pic.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    KillerNIC have always been a failure as its been proven shown time and time again that they dont provide any benefits over a decent Intel NIC.

If they were so great why wouldnt top world hardcore gamers use them ?????
    KillerNIC is still in business years later despite having a totally useless product. I wouldn't exactly call that a failure, I'd call that ing brilliant.
    core i7 920, gigabyte EX58-UD5, 4870x2

DDC3.2 > PA120.3 > DD4870x2fc > Fuzion v1 > PA120.2 > EK Res

Xtreme Addict
    30% min fps gain is like a gpu upgrade.$79 sounds good to me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluiscLBN40

SKIP TO 2:54.

INTEL NIC > BIGFOOTNETWORKS
    Last edited by xsbb; 05-11-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Xtreme Member
    The benches show some improvement, and I might get one if I had a $3000+ budget for a tower. Problem is for anything less than the kind of 'money is no object' system where you are prepared to drop another $100 for a 2% performance boost in a few scenarios, you are better spending the money elsewhere. I might advise somebody to pick one of these up if they already had a Gulftown, two 5970s and every gaming peripheral known to man, but not anybody else.
    Core i7 920, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 5850 [CF coming soon], 6GB OCZ Platinum, Corsair 40GB Force, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Silverstone OP1000, Dell XPS Studio Case.

Alienware M11x.

Xtreme Member
    Anyone with a tiny background in networking will know this product fails.

You showed ping graph times, (LFD and UT), the only real ping test you could do, to eliminate any other variables, is to be next to the server in the datacenter. Now you are dealing with all the internet latency and everything else, which makes this test bogus...

For any home user, any on-board NIC will do just fine. Furthermore, on-board nic now supports jumbo frames and will speed up file transfers in your LAN if configured correctly, KILLER doesnt even support that.

For internet gameplay, you need a good isp with low latency. Thats it. Your NIC will not change internet latency, ever.

It is a product marketed towards gullible rich kids that needs to have everything, period.

Xtreme Addict
    @xsbb Empty servers lol try a full server and actually playing the game.

SLC
    Why does it have so much Ram and processing power? I don't see how 128MB can actually be used by anything network related.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast