Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell's U2711 Input Lag, something I should worry about for games?

Xtreme Addict

Dell's U2711 Input Lag, something I should worry about for games?

I'm possibly getting myself an eyefinity setup and so far by reading I'm between Dell u2711 and HP ZR24w comes to my mind right now, I want the dell u2711 for the resolution but, this is kinda holding me up:

BUT I found this video were a the guy tested a few games plus tested input lag @4:24 and it didn't looked like it was horrible or maybe I'm blind ? any response or inputs about topic is greatly appreciated as always

Dell U2711 TFT Central review & FlatPanelsHD review
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

If you don't play online games on competitive level you shoulden't be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    I'm possibly getting myself an eyefinity setup and so far by reading I'm between Dell u2711 and HP ZR24w comes to my mind right now, I want the dell u2711 for the resolution but, this is kinda holding me up:

[...]

BUT I found this video were a the guy tested a few games plus tested input lag @4:24 and it didn't looked like it was horrible or maybe I'm blind ? any response or inputs about topic is greatly appreciated as always

Dell U2711 TFT Central review & FlatPanelsHD review
    DFI UT X58-T3eH8 bios 08/09/10 * i7 920 d0 batch 3847A 4Ghz@1v * Kingstone HyperX 3x2GB 1866Mhz * 26" Hazro HZ26WSi * ATI FirePRO 3D V4800 * Corsair TX650W * WD Caviar Black 1TB * LG BH08LS20 * MS Sidewinder X8/X6 * Audio Technica ATH-AD700 * Slackware 13.64/windows 7.x64. WC: Enzotech Sapphire,Swiftech MCW-30,Thermochill PA120.3,XSPC Dual Res.Pump. FOTO * Dell Precision M4400

That is plenty low enough to not notice.

In my experience, with similar performing screens (BenQ FP241W currently).
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    That is plenty low enough to not notice.

In my experience, with similar performing screens (BenQ FP241W currently).
    So you think input lag is "OK" for FPS like BC2, MW2, TF2, CSS etc ?

thanks for the reply guys

xtreme energy
    So you think input lag is "OK" for FPS like BC2, MW2, TF2, CSS etc ?

thanks for the reply guys
    See post #2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    See post #2
    I know, I know, but you see, the variety of responses I get including in this forum makes me harder to decide some say its ok, some say its not, some say its decent and so on...

Xtreme Addict
    I know, I know, but you see, the variety of responses I get including in this forum makes me harder to decide some say its ok, some say its not, some say its decent and so on...
    Because not everybody can tell as it more like depends on people eyes', I don't have any problems when playing those games with my Dell U2410 but who knows if there are people that see it as an issue.

CPU: Core i7-2600K@4.8Ghz Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 Case: Corsair 700D w/ 800D window
    CPU Cooler:
    Corsair H70 w/ 2 GTs AP-15 GPU: 2xGigabyte GTX 670 WindForce OC SLI
    RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws PSU: Corsair AX850W Sound card: Asus Xonar DX + Fiio E9
    HDD:
    Crucial M4 128GB + 4TB HDD Display: 3x30" Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC
    Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Headphone: Sennheiser HD650

Input lag also depends greatly on your peripherals. You want a fast, wired mouse and keyboard. Anything that isn't, adds to the ms of input delay.

IMO, 30ms is average and just fine.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    Input lag also depends greatly on your peripherals. You want a fast, wired mouse and keyboard. Anything that isn't, adds to the ms of input delay.

IMO, 30ms is average and just fine.
    So basically lets say the reviewer was testing the display on cheap keyboard & mice, if I grab a mechanical keyboard or G15 with a G9 mouse, do I get less input lag shown in the graph? its kinda confusing because I thought input lag was the lag between the image being sent to the screen from the graphics card.

c[_]
    keyboard and mice dont add much to make it noticeable, the game engine and graphics would add more.

There are different types of input latency, most of they come from the system. Display latency is the time it takes the rendered image sent from your video card to be processed by the hardware inside the monitor (because it thinks your GPU isnt doing a good enough job apparently) and be displayed on the monitor. This number can be quite important if you have a display with a built-in scaler.

30ms isnt too bad.. could be better though.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    keyboard and mice dont add much to make it noticeable, the game engine and graphics would add more.

There are different types of input latency, most of they come from the system. Display latency is the time it takes the rendered image sent from your video card to be processed by the hardware inside the monitor (because it thinks your GPU isnt doing a good enough job apparently) and be displayed on the monitor. This number can be quite important if you have a display with a built-in scaler.

30ms isnt too bad.. could be better though.
    Why? you know I still don't get quite well the scaler and non scaler concept, I remember you mentioning on the 30" inch thread, what if the Dell u2711 doesn't have a built-in scaler? (I'm not sure if it has one though)

30ms isnt too bad for ? see what I mean! I get a large variety of responses making me harder to decide!

Thanks for the reply

So basically lets say the reviewer was testing the display on cheap keyboard & mice, if I grab a mechanical keyboard or G15 with a G9 mouse, do I get less input lag shown in the graph? its kinda confusing because I thought input lag was the lag between the image being sent to the screen from the graphics card.
    No it isn't something you would measure and add to the chart. But they are things that add to the total input delay from hand to screen.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    No it isn't something you would measure and add to the chart. But they are things that add to the total input delay from hand to screen.
    I see

Thanks!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ya, you don't "see" input lag. It just appears that everyone else is cheating ha ha.

Edit: Digital Versus does input lag comparison in their monitor reviews!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PaganII View Post
    Ya, you don't "see" input lag. It just appears that everyone else is cheating ha ha.

Edit: Digital Versus does input lag comparison in their monitor reviews!
    how so ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Because of the delay (lag) in the what is happening in the game and what is displayed on the screen. In a bad lag situation you can be killed before you see the shooter step around the corner of a building or before you see the muzzle flash.

Wiki Input Lag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PaganII View Post
    Because of the delay (lag) in the what is happening in the game and what is displayed on the screen. In a bad lag situation you can be killed before you see the shooter step around the corner of a building or before you see the muzzle flash.

Wiki Input Lag http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag
    I found something interesting if you see here the most "fastest" gaming LCD monitor which is Acer 120hz has 18 ms input lag which kinda surprised me, though could the low response time + 120hz serve as counterpart for such input lag?

c[_]
    pixel refresh rates and display latency are not related.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Those average rates there are across multiple revisions. I have a 2408WFP, which in earlier revisions was known for terrible lag and ghosting, and shows in that graph as the worst offender. Mine is one of the last revisions before Dell EOL'd the series, and it's been just fine, even when direct-compared to an older CRT. With a new monitor I imagine you'd be just fine.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Those average rates there are across multiple revisions. I have a 2408WFP, which in earlier revisions was known for terrible lag and ghosting, and shows in that graph as the worst offender. Mine is one of the last revisions before Dell EOL'd the series, and it's been just fine, even when direct-compared to an older CRT. With a new monitor I imagine you'd be just fine.
    any idea how much input latency the new revision has? now that I remember one of my friends has one ill contact him to play a while on his pc...

EDIT: nvm I found it 18ms wow thats a huge improvement compared with 64ms
    Last edited by Blacky; 05-15-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Seems to me the problem with Dell is they don't seem to care to test their monitors well for lag BEFORE releasing new models, so lots of them get revisions and there's always a vague period that can last for quite some time where you don''t know where you'll land in the lottery of revised displays vs originals. Hazro is way ahead of them on quality control.

Be nice if they made it more clear what you're buying, esp for a manufacturer that claims to be so customer service oriented. It appears they're rushing things to market counting on a certain percentage of people whom unconditionally trust their name to jump on new models of their displays before they even know what they're buying.

Those early adopters in turn pay for the revisions that Dell finally decides to implement. This has happened too many times for it not to be planned by them. It's not good business practice by a long shot.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 05-16-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    check this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1464591&page=43

overall plenty of people happy with the monitor, just saw how to access the service menu on that thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwf2Z0sd6Mw
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TJ07BW | i7 980x | Asus RIII | 12Gb Corsair Dominator | 2xSapphire 7950 vapor-x | WD640Gb / SG1.5TB | Corsair HX1000W | 360mm TFC Rad + Swiftech GTZ + MCP655 | Dell U2711

Xtreme Member
    I play on a Dell U 2410 and there is no difference whatsoever.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
    I play on a Dell U 2410 and there is no difference whatsoever.
    which mode? game mode?

Xtreme Addict
    Iam buying a Dell 3007wpf-HC showed very low input lag just hope the pic quality is good.
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast