Thread: Custom RGB USB LED Controller

Lightbulb Custom RGB USB LED Controller

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so this may not be the right place for this post, but hopefully somebody can help!

I'm in the process of kitting out my case with 5 custom RGB LED 'zones', and would like to be able to control them via software, a little like the AlienFX stuff. Trouble is - I'm not an electrician. I can solder a board with bits if needs be, but wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start when it comes to components, etc. I've done some googling and came across the schematics for some boards which can do this - but, I can't print PCBs, so I'm a little shafted!

Does anybody have any ideas where I could buy an off-the-shelve solution? Or would anybody be willing to knock up a kit for me via eBay perhaps?

Any advice would be great!

Xtreme Member
    If u have a schematic, then u have the lay out, you dont need a PCB. Use a proto board and use wires or proto traces to connect the parts.

Example of a proto board with traces
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...8nO%2ftkG06yKx

what about finding one of the alienFX cases on ebay and havesting the lights?
    Intel Q6600 L727A 3.2GHz (8*400 @ 1.35v)
    Asus Maximus Formula
    2X2gb Gskill DDRII-1000
    XFX 5870
    WD 150Gb Raptor and Maxtor 250Gb DiamondMax10
    2X Samsung DVD-RW DL SATA
    Silverstone OP850
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Xtreme (lapped)
    Thermaltake Armor
    thats it, and proud of it.
    Heatware: pby5cat

Ah, hadn't thought of using a prototype board, I guess it's a possibility - although the board would no doubt end up being quite large compared to its PCB equivalent?
    I've looked for some Alienware cases - and the only ones I can find have the passive Alien-FX module - i.e. not software controlled, and even these cases sell at extortionate prices!

Thanks for your input anyway, it's appreciated - and I may look in to prototype boards.
    I work as a front & back end web/back office developer and have experience in HTML (including HTML5), CSS(up to and including CSS3), JavaScript, XML, Classic ASP (VbScript), ASP.NET (VbScript) & Visual Basic. So if anybody needs any help with these scripting methods, please feel free to PM me.

You definitely could build something yourself if you wanted to put in the time and effort, I have seen quite a few do it yourself instruction options on the web at instructables and also just on youtube and a few other places. You would definitely need to know a decent amount about electronics as well as writing software though.

As pby5cat mentioned you could also try and pick up an AlienFX light board or case but they definitely are not cheap as you have found out as well as hard to find. The active board needed for software control can be especially hard to find and definitely not cheap.

I did see another option on youtube recently called the Computer Color Cannon which is a RGB LED light that plugs into a USB port and can be controlled similar to AlienFX via software, there are also WinAmp and iTunes plugins for it too apparently. Below is the youtube video I came across of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmUVlY4u-yA

Xtreme Member
    I had at one point in time planned an RGB for my rig. I eventually came up with and bought an Audrino with Shiftbrite bars paired with a RGB ribbon. There's open source software for color choosing, however I really didn't ever get around to installing it. You may want to look into it though!
    Watercooled Murdermod Silverstone TJ07
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600Mhz
    eVGA 480 GTX SLI
    8.5TB (1x Seagate 1TB 7200.12, 2x Hitachi 3TB, 1x Seagate 1.5TB 7200.11)
    Corsair AX1200 PSU All Custom Cables
    Westinghouse 24" 1920x1200
    Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuru114 View Post
    You definitely could build something yourself if you wanted to put in the time and effort, I have seen quite a few do it yourself instruction options on the web at instructables and also just on youtube and a few other places. You would definitely need to know a decent amount about electronics as well as writing software though.

As pby5cat mentioned you could also try and pick up an AlienFX light board or case but they definitely are not cheap as you have found out as well as hard to find. The active board needed for software control can be especially hard to find and definitely not cheap.

I did see another option on youtube recently called the Computer Color Cannon which is a RGB LED light that plugs into a USB port and can be controlled similar to AlienFX via software, there are also WinAmp and iTunes plugins for it too apparently. Below is the youtube video I came across of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmUVlY4u-yA
    Hi ComputerGuru,
    I'm more than willing to put in time and effort, but the hardware side of things really isn't my cup of tea - I will happily spend days/weeks on end developing the software side, but not being an Electrician, or, for that matter - not ever having any electronics training - I don't want to spend money on components only to short them went it comes to soldering them to a board.

I have been keeping an eye out for AlienFX lighting modules, but no joy as of yet.

I've taken a look at the Computer Colour Cannon, and it seems like quite a nice solution - the only problem being - I would need 3 or so of these modules, which not only would be VERY expensive (they retail at $175-ish I think) but I think there would be some addressing issues when it comes to the software side as the developer probably didn't intend to have multiple modules running at the same time from a single machine.

Thanks for your time non-the-less.

Quote Originally Posted by SovietKitsch View Post
    I had at one point in time planned an RGB for my rig. I eventually came up with and bought an Audrino with Shiftbrite bars paired with a RGB ribbon. There's open source software for color choosing, however I really didn't ever get around to installing it. You may want to look into it though!
    Hi SovietKitsch,

Thanks for the heads up on Audrino - it lead me to a site called CoolComponents which seems to sell all sorts of USB experiment boards, so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find one cheap enough with enough analogue outputs to meet my needs.

Thanks!

Wuf
    One word: arduino
    iirc it's controlable via usb and costs about 30$ you have to make your own software and wire the leds.
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"