Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project : Toxicity

Xtreme Design
    Use what you think is best, but Tensol 70 I hear is the UK equiv to IPS.
    -------------------------------
    Not From Concentrate
    All Projects
    Previous Projects:
    S3 Mini ITX Chassis
    The ArK
    Uriel
    Israfel
    Veritas
    Eldritch

NFC - Yeh thats what I've got here in my hand

So it's been a long time coming but I finally have a new video for you guys and gals.

As the case is all sprayed up and looking good I figured it was time to put it together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_LNPDm_zFo

I picked up my black rivets from Spalding Fasteners and as I said the size is 3.2 x 6mm.

I'm hoping to get some photos of the case done before I go on holiday tomorrow but no promises.

As for the rest of the project here's what I have left to do.

• - Top case panel to be finished and perspex to be routed or otherwise to fit.
    • - Res to be lasercut, tapped and then glued. Leak tested.
    • - Side panel to be cut for res placement.
    • - PSU to be modded / painted etc.
    • - Windowed panel to be modded.
    • - Acquire black barbs (preferably 45 angles).
    • - Spray 360 rad in Toxic green.

Then it's just a case of swapping hardware from Monolith (unless I decide to upgrade to i7 before then).

Comments etc always welcome
    Craig
    Redemption HTPC Scratchbuild - Zotac 9300 ITX, Intel Q9450, 4Gb G.Skill 6400, LG Bluray Drive, OCZ ModXstream 400W, 2x 1Tb Samsung, Windows 7 Home. 32" Toshiba LCD TV.

Xtreme Member
    It looks great, I love the color combo!

Cheers Bill

I'm back from my hols, bright red from stayin in the sun too long.. ooops.
    The custom res will be the next video as I'm having it cut this week
    Craig
    Redemption HTPC Scratchbuild - Zotac 9300 ITX, Intel Q9450, 4Gb G.Skill 6400, LG Bluray Drive, OCZ ModXstream 400W, 2x 1Tb Samsung, Windows 7 Home. 32" Toshiba LCD TV.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks really nice Craig, can't wait to see the end result. I know you alluded to the fastening of all those rivets being tedious, esp with the illness, but to me, drilling all the originals out would be much worse, as you have to be careful not to damage the holes.

BTW, for anyone considering the HAF X as a case but are unsure about how to filter that odd shaped bottom vent that CM for some reason left unfiltered, DEMCiFlex in So. Africa will sell that filter from their 3 piece HAF 932 kit individually for only $8 USD. Just email them and talk to Vincent.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigr1982 View Post
    The custom res will be the next video as I'm having it cut this week
    A video of the res? Sweet!

Bill - Yup, but it won't be done until its all glued up then I can have a video of the testing phase with the waterfall effect and what not.

In the meantime, have a couple of photos

I've had the res cut this week and took a couple of photos of it cos I can't wait to put this thing together...But I have to cos I have no Barbs yet .

I've mocked it together for now just to see what it looks like. All the covering is still on so it looks blue but the perspex is actually clear....Honest. :P

Parts

Mocked Up

As you can see the lowest section needs to be heated and bent, thankfully I have a few of these cut so I can get some practice in. Plus all the daft little offcuts I've got from the sheet.

The black areas are burn marks which are only on the protective covering

As I said I have no barbs which means I can't glue it all together until I've drilled and tapped where the barbs are going.

Hope your excited as I am to see this thing hold water.
    Craig

Another update, I've made quite a bit of progress on the res however I'm saving it all for the video, wouldn't want to spoil you too early.

However in other news I've picked up another sponsor.. Yay!

Let me introduce

Thank you very much for agreeing to supply what I required

My loop will consist of (although possibly not in this order)
    D5 Pump - GPU - CPU - 120x3 Rad - Custom Res - Pump

These will all be fed using 1/2" tubing and I figured, new build, new barbs..Most of the gear has been bought and paid for myself however Specialtech agreed to provide a few items.

To go with my black and green case I figured it was only fitting ( :P ) to match that colour scheme with some Bitspower Matte Black fittings and some 1/2" ID Compression Fittings to lose those pesky Jubilee clips.

My camera is flat so I've had to make do with just the one shot from my better half's camera until I get some better ones taken tomorrow. And as you can see I got a little bored...

I have 10x 45' Angles with 10x compression fittings to match, also 3 blanking plugs for GPU and Res fillport.

I'm hoping to get the res finished this week but I seem to only get an hour or so free at a time recently, just enough time to get out into the garage and start and then start tidying up again
    Or I get all night, when I can't use power tools or make noise etc, still it gives me time to edit the hours of footage I already have stockpiled.

Until next time...
    Craig

Xtreme Member
    congrats on new sponsor! those fittings are perfect for this build craig

Cheers Bill

Work has been getting ridiculous, 8 hour shifts with a 4 1/2 hour round trip travel time and 5 days a week, so this mod is taking a real back seat to real life..well sleeping actually. haha

I've not had chance to photograph the Bitspower fittings yet but I have finished my latest video. It's not as far along as I hoped but the res is taking a long time to cure in-between gluing, it's supposed to be over a week before it's under any pressure. In reality it could be another 2 weeks at least before it is actually ready for full leak testing and I couldn't wait that long to release this video. I'm hoping youtube wont take an age processing the video into 720p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hdFZB4ZBAU

As I mention in the video this project is on a go slow / hold until work slows down. I am hoping to get some work done during the weekends but it will be slow going, I'll be sure to keep you updated if any work happens.
    Craig

Well I've done some work to the roof panel, but ultimately I'm not happy with it so it's been binned and I have to start again with new perspex.

Bit of a pain but as I'll be seeing it on the roof and the glaringly obvious problem it needs to be redone. I've shot some footage of the first attempt so I can just get on with the modding up to a point without worrying about camera angles, lighting etc.

As for the res, it's still undergoing the glueing process, still lidless at the moment and I'm fairly certain it's now watertight so far. Now to just get the lid to seal correctly and I can actually run it with the pump rather than just filling it with water and watching for leaks.

And now because I can't sleep I think I'll go photograph those fittings and see if I can't get some better photos.
    Craig

So I do believe I take better photos in the dead of night...

Been doing some prep work today for the roof (take 2) and setting up some gear but here's a selection of Bitspower photos. For those sad enough to count whats there you will notice a few items missing, mainly because they are currently already in use..Pump and res so far.

As you can see below I'm hoping I have enough braiding left to braid ALL the watercooling hose which will make a nice feature.

As luck would have it I have been given tomorrow off (hence the staying up late today) so I plan to be busy modding in the garage and maybe get a progress so far video shot or something but we will see how that goes..
    Craig

Started Leak Testing - Hurrah.

Hmmm I think the pump is maybe a little too strong for the Res, but it is only going directly to the res and back, no blocks or rads to slow the water any.

Laing D4
    Pump Speed: 1,400 LPH
    Delivery head: 3.4m

Therefore it pelts water as the side of the res completely missing the first slope and then causes a vacuum for the other slopes which in turn leads it to run out of water. This then slows the pump down as part of the pump has air in and makes the flow much better and the water runs the gauntlet much better...and it is totally leak free

As the D4 is my old pump and the D5 I use is variable rate I will need to do further testing using that pump on its various speed settings to find the correct speed.

I shall upload a video of it in action when "management" returns with my video camera later today..sigh
    Craig

NooB MOD
    I've kinda "outgrown" the UV lighting but these pictures make me feel like a kid again, nicely done
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

haha, yeah I know what you mean. I've seen lots of rigs which are all neon and real in your face.

With this only having green highlights rather then the whole case being green or bright orange etc it should look more subdued..till you look inside at least :P
    Craig

This mod was mentioned on The Mod Brothers Podcast #19. Available HERE. This means it's been bumped into the Featured Worklog's Section within themodbrothers forum

Just a quick update for now.

Managed to grab a few minutes for some footage of the reservoir and play a little catch up with what else I have been doing in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZlSpXJkagc

And here's a better look at the images that I used in the video.

360 Radiator after a paint job.

Side Bezels

Drive Bay Covers

Front Bezel

Thanks about all for now. Enjoy
    Craig

Xtreme Member
    I watched your latest video update, The res works great!

Xtreme Member
    Wow, I love how the bezels turned out. Maybe using the fluorescent 'Lamborghini-Green' is what catches my eye.

cheers bill

Neonblingbling - I can't wait to put them on the case but I can't do that until the roof is done which I am taking my time on after I messed up the first attempt. And yes the green certainly stands out
    Craig

So work has subsided for at least a few days, I should be getting some more work done on the roof panel over the next couple of days and I'm hoping to get that section finished this week.

Then it should be the mounting of the radiator, Pump and Res for yet another leak / flow rate test.

Also I'm in the market for a new CPU waterblock as I fear the Dtek Fuzion V2 will not take my Bitspower Fittings. Currently running S775 however an i7 upgrade is planned later in the year. Any suggestions?
    Craig

Nominated for Mod Of The Month by Bit-Tech.

Which is awesome

Been doing some modding work during the week and realised I SUCK at soldering. No really. I FAIL HARD.

However practice makes perfect...or ruins a lot of cabling..one or the other :s

The roof panel just needs fitting up and then that piece of the puzzle will be done too. Some photos / video tomoro all being well.
    Craig

Xtreme Member
    Congrats on the MOTM nomination!

Cheers Bill

I think it's update time

I've been doing a lot of work in the garage these past few days and I have got a video sussed for your enjoyment.

The latest video continues the roof panel modding which was started in Worklog #6 - Roof Panel Modding. There is a little refresher about what went on at the beginning of the new one to remind you what went on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj2FSRn64Gw

Currently the case is undergoing leak-testing again *yawn* to double and triple check the res and the rad don't leak. I don't want to wake up underwater thank you very much.

I still have the side panels to mod so I can't just sit back and relax just yet. I am still deciding on whether to upgrade to i7 or to continue using my q6600. Anyone done the deed and give any advice?

Thanks for all the votes at Bit-Tech's Mod Of The Month August

Also a quick reminder of my Sponsors for this project.

MNPCtech.com

Specialtech.co.uk

Thanks guys

Craig

IT LIVES!!!

Yes thats right I've transplanted Monolith (I'll miss you buddy) into Toxicity.

I've done a little upgrade by picking up a OCZ Vertex 2 60Gb SSD and swapped the Q9450 from Redemption with the tired Q6600. Not had chance to overclock it yet as I'm still struggling to image my Win7 install onto the SSD, which is throwing my BootMGR missing all the time.

I've also got some lights rigged up for the res, but I'm still working on cable management at the moment so no decent photos or videos as yet. Awaiting shorter SATA leads for one as all mine seem to be 45cm or more :o

As for the rest of the mod, well I still have both side panels to finish off plus a few niggly bits.

For now here is a little sneak of what it looks like
    Craig

The case looks great! Love the green and black theme.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast