Thread: Stock AMD Athlon 64 Heatsink on an AMD Athlon 64 without IHS = safe?

Xtreme Member

Stock AMD Athlon 64 Heatsink on an AMD Athlon 64 without IHS = safe?

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading from my good old Athlon 64 to a Core i7.

Part of my watercooling I will be re-using, which is why I just disassembled my watercooling from my A64.
    Because this upgrade process will take a loong time, I would like to put the stock AMD heatsink back on my A64.

The possible problem is that I removed the IHS from my A64, so it is about 1,5mm less high than normal.

Is it safe to put the default A64 heatsink on it? Or will it be too loose?

If it is too loose, does anyone know a trick to make it fit again?

I have a DFI Lanparty nf4 Ultra-D mobo

Thanks in advance!
    Build in progress:
    PSU: Seasonic M12D-850
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 | RAM: 6GB OCZ Reaper OCZ3RPR1600LV6GK | CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    SSD: Intel Postville X25-M G2 160GB @ ICH10 | HDs: RAID5 of 6x Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i KIT
    GPU: Gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD

To order:
    Watercooling!

i dont think that u will have enough pressure or contact with the stock heatsink unless u mod the bracket so it mounts lower.

and why not go x6 its a little cheaper and will prove faster as things change to 64bit
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme 3D Team
    Most likely too loose.

*shakes head at 920 purchase*

Besides, the stock cooler is meant for the IHS. You could try it anyway, use AC MX2 or MX3 if you do.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well I can give you my experience I had with this situation and a Socket 754 CPU that didn't have it's IHS. You defiantly can NOT use the stock heatsink without the IHS unless you mod the bracket. You may have some slight contact between the two but not enough to be safe. I did my tests with thermal grease and putting a tiny bead on the core, the cooler barely spread the grease at all - a bad sign.

I actually just got a piece of sandpaper like 220 grid I believe, and wore the bracket down and re-tested until I saw the contact looked pretty good and then used that. Worked great with that mod.

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Xtreme Member
    thanks for the advice guys!

My apologies for going over to the Dark Side (Intel)... But there is still some light left in me (ATI 5870)

I will not buy an X6, since I just bought that Intel...
    Also AC MX2 or MX3 doesn't seem very important to me for this PC, since I will run it at the default speeds for the lasts months of it's life...
    I still have AS3 laying around, so that should be fine (is there actually an expire date on these thermal pastes? cause it is already 5 years old I think)

Last night I have been thinking about some possible solutions for it being too loose as well...

I also came up with sanding down the yellow DFI bracket to which the heatsink attaches to the mobo, so I'm glad to hear that idea actually worked nice for you!

Another idea I came up with was putting the IHS back on - not fixed, but I hope the thermal paste en heatsink pressure can keep it in place
    That way I hope to protect the precious core better from breaking and I think it should also still be "coolable" enough for stock speeds?
    What do you guys think of this idea? Cause I fear a bit of breaking the core when applying too much force to attach the stock heatsink on the core without IHS...
    Last edited by Mastakilla; 05-05-2010 at 06:21 AM.
    Build in progress:
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 | RAM: 6GB OCZ Reaper OCZ3RPR1600LV6GK | CPU: Intel Core i7 920
    SSD: Intel Postville X25-M G2 160GB @ ICH10 | HDs: RAID5 of 6x Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB @ LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i KIT

To order:
    Watercooling!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastakilla View Post
    thanks for the advice guys!

My apologies for going over to the Dark Side (Intel)... But there is still some light left in me (ATI 5870)

I will not buy an X6, since I just bought that Intel...
    Also AC MX2 or MX3 doesn't seem very important to me for this PC, since I will run it at the default speeds for the lasts months of it's life...
    I still have AS3 laying around, so that should be fine (is there actually an expire date on these thermal pastes? cause it is already 5 years old I think)

Last night I have been thinking about some possible solutions for it being too loose as well...

I also came up with sanding down the yellow DFI bracket to which the heatsink attaches to the mobo, so I'm glad to hear that idea actually worked nice for you!

Another idea I came up with was putting the IHS back on - not fixed, but I hope the thermal paste en heatsink pressure can keep it in place
    That way I hope to protect the precious core better from breaking and I think it should also still be "coolable" enough for stock speeds?
    What do you guys think of this idea? Cause I fear a bit of breaking the core when applying too much force to attach the stock heatsink on the core without IHS...
    Should work, just make sure the contact is good on both sides
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    I removed the IHS from my X2 4200 Winsdor, bad idea in retrospect. I got the stock cooler back on:
    1. Mod the plastic bracket by cutting these out.
    2. Then lap the stock heatsink. It is extremely concave.
    3. Layer electrical tape on the the processor PCB until it is/almost level with the CPU die.
    4. Put one toothpick under each "arm thingy" of the metal bracket lever thing so that it between the lever and the heatsink.
    5. Apply thermal paste, etc...then mount the heatsink making sure the toothpicks are still in place.

That should apply sufficient pressure until you get your WC system back up.

Xtreme Member
    you really mean cutting the complete "marked in red" piece out?

cause that wouldn't really work on my DFI mobo since it uses only 2 screws instead of 4:

the layering of electrical tape does sound like a good idea though!
    don't think I understand what you mean with the toothpicks though

I'll be going home in a few hours and I guess I'll try with the loose IHS first (seems the safest), if that doesn't work i'll be back here to check on updates (or sanding down the bracket perhaps)
    Build in progress:

To order:
    Watercooling!

Xtreme Member
    I only have the bracket from an old MSI board to look at for this. The only thing I might consider is sanding about 2mm off the bottom, but only in a way where you can ensure an even sanding.

If you pull the mounting brackets apart, you'll notice that the 4 bolt holes have a raised lip to stand the support beams of the bracket away from the board. Given that plastic doesn't conduct electricity, I'd say it might be safe to sand down those down so that they're flush with the rest of the frame.

You might take the mounting system apart to better understand what I'm saying.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

Xtreme Member
    The problem I encountered was the possible interference with the SMD components directly underneath the mounting bracket.

Xtreme Member
    with the loose IHS on top of the core, I was just able to boot in the BIOS

idle temp stayed around 39°C with the fan at 1000rpm
    so I guess that is quite ok

I'm really glad I was able to switch both CPU and GPU back to the stock fan
    Now I can start cleaning out the dirtiest watercooling ever :p

thanks guys!
    Build in progress:

To order:
    Watercooling!

Xtreme 3D Team
    Again, I said to use MX-2 or MX-3 because they are not conductive, not because they offer better performance. I have a tube of MX-2 or TX-2 around for my GPU's and MX-3 for my CPU's...

If not any of those, use Ceramique or something.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    aaaah ok...

oopsie

well... it's working, so I guess I was lucky then

just installed all 6 HDs (incl RAID 0 and RAID 1) and everything seems to work as before!
    running prime now, which seems to stabilize around 47°C, which seems more then ok for passing another few weeks / months
    Build in progress:

To order:
    Watercooling!