Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infantry training in GAMES !!!

Banned

Infantry training in GAMES !!!

Came across this video of soldiers training using 3D environments similar to our beloved FPS games.......I thought some may find it newsworthy, if not can a mod move this please.....thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqzW...eature=channel

Banned
    Yep, they have unofficially been doing this for a while..

Xtreme Addict
    This needs to be tested to say how authentic it is,AA3 & ARMA 2 def looks better than this.Third person view sucks as well,satellite and first person are the only two views that should be available to the player.

Xtreme Addict
    Pretty poor graphics. They should just play Battlefield Bad Company 2 and be done with it
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CraptacularOne View Post
    Pretty poor graphics. They should just play Battlefield Bad Company 2 and be done with it

I couldn't agree more.

Xtreme Member
    VBS2 is based on an optimised Operation Flashpoint engine if I remember well...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by THOMO View Post

I couldn't agree more.
    Ya, that would be a great idea! Then we'd have soldiers running around on the battlefield thinking they could go 20-0 with the Carl Gustav.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    Ya, that would be a great idea! Then we'd have soldiers running around on the battlefield thinking they could go 20-0 with the Carl Gustav.
    What are you saying? If you were in the military and they gave you a rocket launcher that you wouldn't use it on the enemy? I sure as hell would....lol
    Core i7 3770K
    EVGA GTX780 + Surround
    EVGA GTX670
    EVGA Z77 FTW
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3
    Ultra X3 1000w PSU PSU
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Thermaltake Xaser VI

I am Xtreme
    guess they eliminated proning form the basic training then...

of the Strawhat crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    guess they eliminated proning form the basic training then...
    LOL!

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    VBS2 is a very wierd fps.. the aiming and movement is strange compared to most conventional FPS games
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Guru
    bf2 pr mod - end of story

Xtreme Addict
    What about some zombie apocalypse preparation?

Xtreme Mentor
    What are you saying? If you were in the military and they gave you a rocket launcher that you wouldn't use it on the enemy? I sure as hell would....lol
    The jist of it is that Bad Company 2 would be a horrible trainer. It would be one of the funnest, though!

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Addict
    this has been around for a long time... acording to my friends in the army, the training is more about honing reflexes and team work than simulating a real combat situation. so really any modern FPS would do the job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    Killing Floor could for a military style of preparation.
    Civilians will be ready after playing L4D and watching every Romero movie

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    yeah, thats what you want... soldiers shooting hobos cause it reminded them of a zombie from their traning session hahah

Xtreme Enthusiast
    VBS 2 is pretty much the military version of ArmA2. Has real world maps, and more stuff all around.

Just remember it looks like crap because they were playing it on laptops.

Xtreme Member
    I remember when I first found the Evans & Sutherland site a producer of Simulation grafic machines with a huge stack of processors and memorybanks separate from the Computer itself to visualize whole battlefields.

But what they had then is compared to a what common Xtremesystems member running today

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGore View Post
    VBS 2 is pretty much the military version of ArmA2. Has real world maps, and more stuff all around.

Just remember it looks like crap because they were playing it on laptops.
    Pretty much spot on. VBS 2 IS the mil version of ARMA/ARMA 2. The civilian version (ARMA/arma2) comes more stripped down. VBS 2 is tailored to whatever the client desires regarding world mapping, forces, etc. I believe that the same engine is used for both versions. BIS has been selling this for years.
    Asrock Extreme 4 | 2600K | 16G G Skill | Powercolor LCS 7970 | PCP&C 910 Silencer | Crucial C300 + Intel X-25V + Raptors | D-Tek Fusion v2 | Swiftech MCR Drive 360 | HP LP2475

Xtreme Addict
    Between the America's Army series and ArmaA2(w/ACE2 mod), I know a good amount about military weapons, ROE, and communication. I still think there is no replacement for real world training. Training the body (muscle memory) is simply irreplaceable. One good thing games can do is help familiarize soldiers and commanders to a new environment, like an urban setting.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am View Post
    bf2 pr mod - end of story
    agree. Besides Arma2, PR is the most realistic out there right now. And its more fun than Arma 2
    ~

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by strange|ife View Post
    agree. Besides Arma2, PR is the most realistic out there right now. And its more fun than Arma 2
    War is fun huh,

When nobody actually gets hurt, sure.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    Training..... Yeah when a rpg goes off 10 feet from you and your not going in the comfort of a climate controlled room and chair trying to hit Esc is gonna be pretty tough.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast