Thread: SpeedFan in Windows 7 not working correctly

Thumbs down SpeedFan in Windows 7 not working correctly

SpeedFan (4.40) which claims to have full Windows 7 support, doesn't seem to.

If I try different compatibility modes, it will run for 5 seconds and lock up, forcing an End Task. If I run in Admin mode, no difference.

It runs ok without any of the above, but it is not detecting things correctly. In XP it used to be able to pick up my "Ambient" temp from the Nvidia video card, but not in 7. It also shows my core temperatures roughly 10-15 degrees lower than they really are.

I really like this program because I have the Informer Widget (Yahoo) displaying SpeedFan items along the top of my screen in a nice, transparent bar.

What happened? I'll try again with a future version, but for now something ain't right. Anyone else using SpeedFan in Windows 7?
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    I'm using SpeedFan 4.40 to control my fans on a ASUS P5Q-Deluxe. My complaint is that SpeedFan seems to slowly reduce the speed of the fans over a 1-2min period instead of dropping it immediately.

My CPU temperatures also report 10 degrees lower with SpeedFan when compared to Real Temp. You might be able to "patch" it by setting an offset value. Go into the advanced tab, temperature x offset, and select a value that will correct for the under reported value.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

It's just really odd that all this was working under XP. I'll give it another go sometime.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

of the Strawhat crew.
    I'm running 4.40 on Win764 with no issues. I also ran it on Win7beta 64 without issues. Also, it reports the exact same temps as coretemp (don't use realtemp) for my cpu (Q6600).

Good luck with your issues.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I'm using SpeedFan 4.40 to control my fans on a ASUS P5Q-Deluxe. My complaint is that SpeedFan seems to slowly reduce the speed of the fans over a 1-2min period instead of dropping it immediately.

My CPU temperatures also report 10 degrees lower with SpeedFan when compared to Real Temp. You might be able to "patch" it by setting an offset value. Go into the advanced tab, temperature x offset, and select a value that will correct for the under reported value.
    Good call on the temp offsets, both cores needed exactly 10 degrees to match OCCT which is accurate.

It still doesn't detect the "Ambient" sensor on the GPU like it did under WinXP...otherwise its working okay it seems.

I installed it on my D: drive (WD 6400AAKS) so when it logs, the small .csv files it creates aren't going on my SSD every 1 second.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340