Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: OC competition for teens? =)

Xtreme Member
    Sry for double post but what if we went instead for trying to see significant improvement over the summer then at the end give an award to the most improved? Sort of a way to encourage improvement?
    Current System:

Coolermaster HAF 932
    XFX 680i LT SLI Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.99 GHz
    4 Gb (2x 2Gb) OCZ SLI-Ready RAM
    2x XFX 8800gt XXX edition @ 690/975
    1x 300GB Western Digital Caviar HDD

silver wall jumper X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
    So, this whole arrangement will turn into a penis measuring contest for 18-year-olds. Good for them.
    lol - we'll try to avoid any of that....

Fugger and I have spent the last few days testing out our livestream, together with and Intel Clarksdale and iGPU.

Every contestant will receive the same plaform to compete with, winner will be decided upon the best results in the various challenges of the competition.

There different challenges will contain:

-Tradional Benchmarking

-Tweaking iGPU

-FPS/FPS - various tournaments where First Person Shootings will be awarded points in junction with points for max stable overclocks and Frames Per Second Also, teamplay will also play a big role here. We will throw a lot of curveballs your way, and you'll have to deal the best way possible with it. Strategy will also play a huge role...

-X Games - finding the most absurd cheats and exploits in the above mentioned challenges ... lol - not sure about that one yet

The games we are still deciding upon, but BF2 will 99% be part of this contest. Fugger wants to kill some nooblets...

All contestants will have to be able to stream live their gameplay and system shots. They themselves are not to be on camera. Have to get the permit from parents too.

Trying to get all the hardware together right now - official entries will be announced on the .tv

there will be no prizes tho -sorry about that one - but the price hopefully will be lots of fun.
    Last edited by mike; 06-02-2010 at 02:00 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Snip.
    I am in! What about us 18-year-olds, would it be alright for us to be on camera? Or is the no on camera part for every one? I have a a video camera that can be used as a web cam (not sure on the quality though) that I can use. And I'd have to figure out how to stream the computer screen I'm tweaking online but it would be worth it, even with out prizes this will be tons of fun.
    I crunch for you Gramps R.I.P.
    Photo:
    Canon T2i(550d) w/ Magic Lantern
    Canon 20mm F/2.8
    Canon 50mm F/1.8
    Canon 70-200mm F/4L
    C&C is always welcome on my photos.

PC
    Asus Crosshair IV Forumla, AMD 1090t-Crunching away @4.1ghz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2,4x2 Musikin Silverline's, Sapphire 6950 2gb(flashed to 6970 and running at 950/1450), Corsair HX650, NZXT Tempest.
    http://500px.com/KodyHungenberg

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    To add to that I'm building a $300 water setup this June at age 14...
    i got one of those on my xbox!

oh and im IN

silver wall jumper X
    oops - forgot to check age - ratings of games anyone scared of nightmares?

Here are some pic's, sorry about the quality its a phone camera . oh and im 15
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC-1.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	300.9 KB 
ID:	105086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC-2.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	105087  
    Last edited by TJ TRICHEESE; 06-02-2010 at 02:41 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Also is that BF BadCompany 2 Or BattleField 2?
    I crunch for you Gramps R.I.P.
    Photo:
    Canon T2i(550d) w/ Magic Lantern
    Canon 20mm F/2.8
    Canon 50mm F/1.8
    Canon 70-200mm F/4L
    C&C is always welcome on my photos.

PC
    Asus Crosshair IV Forumla, AMD 1090t-Crunching away @4.1ghz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2,4x2 Musikin Silverline's, Sapphire 6950 2gb(flashed to 6970 and running at 950/1450), Corsair HX650, NZXT Tempest.
    http://500px.com/KodyHungenberg

if its BFBC2 im screwed coz i only have it on ps3 and xbox

and im planning an upgrade in august... just a bit too late
    Last edited by TJ TRICHEESE; 06-02-2010 at 04:18 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight203 View Post
    I am in! What about us 18-year-olds, would it be alright for us to be on camera? Or is the no on camera part for every one? I have a a video camera that can be used as a web cam (not sure on the quality though) that I can use. And I'd have to figure out how to stream the computer screen I'm tweaking online but it would be worth it, even with out prizes this will be tons of fun.
    Well, how about we allow those that "Consent" or want to be camera show their faces? We won't force them, but if they do want to, they can do it.

I'm only 14, so.. haha im a bit shy, although it would be cool.

Second. Would we be receiving hardware to bench with? Or would we have to use our own?

Just the variables involved in using our own hardware would make the results.... well very unaccurate.

And don't worry, I'll be back in california in about a week or two, though i won't have my #1 rig

My R2E is also being RMA'd, stupid heatsink screws stripped, and when i got it back in 08, it wouldn't like to play nice with 12GB

Pics up soon!
    Last edited by Cookiesowns; 06-02-2010 at 07:03 AM.
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

Xtreme Member
    Not sure I will be able to make it and my laptop is arriving the day I leave at 3am so I wont have that either. Im afraid you will have to do it without me but good luck to everyone. I will be back in roughly 3 weeks.
    My rig the Kill-Jacker

CPU: AMD Phenom II 1055T 3.82GHz
    Mobo: ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
    Game GPU: EVGA GTX580
    Secondary GPU 2: EVGA GTX470
    Memory: Mushkin DDR3 1600 Ridgeback 8GB
    PSU: Silverstone SST-ST1000-P
    HDD: WD 250GB Blue 7200RPM
    HDD2: WD 1TB Blue 7200RPM
    CPU Cooler: TRUE120 Rev. B Pull
    Case: Antec 1200

FAH Tracker V2 Project Site

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Awesome for all the feedback

Quick question, what is everyone favorite game at the moment? We will have a benchmark challenge, which will also have a small gaming component added to it.
    Let's see what first best person shooter ( online playable - deathmatch) would be.

Let's have some fun!!! Let's only make sure that Uncle Hipro5 is not going to try to crash the party. Wouldn't surprise me...
    I think we should add some free FPS, or some really competitive ones that most have.

CSS, HL2M, CS1.6, Crysis wars!!!!!!, TF2 ( don't got that, but its a possibility ), and yea Garrys MOD!
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF

Eh, not a big fan of BFBC2. Why not some Modern Warfare 2?

Xtreme Member
    i'm in
    sorry for my bad english
    Gigabyte Battlefield Pi 1M #3

Xtreme Member
    In as well.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Admin
    Sounds like a great competition you've organized, Mike. Hats off to you

To the young guys wanting to participate: I'm pretty sure it's the old-school BF2. FUGGER's loves playing it (and my guess is you'll be gaming against him ). Plus you'll be running off the integrated GPU, so an older game is a better proposition

Enjoy the competition guys....I feel this is the beginning of something big

ODOC
    hey man , nice work Mike ..

Seems like a new Clarkdale adventure is waiting ahead

silver wall jumper X
    everyone will receive the basic platform to compete with for the duration of the contest. Cooling can be exchanged to your choice, no ln2, lhe (lol), still discussing subambient. The key will be to have a performing rig that is stable enough to do some heavy duty online gaming. Any system instabilty ( crashes ) will cause big loss in points. You do not want to crash. You will have to make sure your router and settings are up to par, etc. etc. Gameplay will have various approaches in strategy; players might want to hide in areas to give high fps, and be prone to be killed, agressive play will result in fps loss. Various challenges will entail teamplay.

I will have to limit the entrants to the amount of hardware I can get together in this week, start hopefully very soon thereafter.
    Last edited by mike; 06-02-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Aussie God
    everyone will receive the basic platform to compete with for the duration of the contest. Cooling can be exchanged to your choice, no ln2, lhe (lol), still discussing subambient. The key will be to have a performing rig that is stable enough to do some heavy duty online gaming. Any system instabilty ( crashes ) will cause big loss in points. You do not want to crash. You will have to make sure your router and settings are up to par, etc. etc. Gameplay will have various approaches in strategy; players might want to hide in areas to give high fps, and be prone to be killed, agressive play will result in fps loss. Various challenges will entail teamplay.

I will have to limit the entrants to the amount of hardware I can get together in this week, start hopefully very soon thereafter.
    Sorry to ask a bit rude here Mike.... But did Charles and you just decide to make it US only...?
    Or is that international shipping as well? (I am a bit too old according to my papssport, mentally nah)
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

silver wall jumper X
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Sorry to ask a bit rude here Mike.... But did Charles and you just decide to make it US only...?
    Or is that international shipping as well? (I am a bit too old according to my papssport, mentally nah)
    not rude at all. No worries bud!

Making it US only has been in consideration, mainly becuase we are hoping the gameplay as fair as possible. If the Server is US , people in Asia might be at an disadvantage. But we are working around it, and will have a solution ready. Part of it will just be another challenge for the competitors to overcome such a problem.

It will be international. Which will bring up yet another problem; different timezones.
    Last edited by mike; 06-02-2010 at 01:01 PM.

this sounds killer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm at work, didn't read through the whole thread. I'm 17, run the rig in my sig. Can anyone fill me in on what's going on? I'd be interested over the summer

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry for the double post, just read through the rest of the thread, I am definitely interested. I've been spending hours of my time tweaking my PCs since the AXP days, would love to show off my skills

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Both YAY and not fun , integrated graphics, and I don't have BF2

Though... is the gaming and OC benching on different days? Or is it just one whole day.. D: i generally do open air tests for benc, and when i game i sit comfortably in my gaming position :P
    Project Elegant Dreams

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    not rude at all. No worries bud!

Making it US only has been in consideration, mainly becuase we are hoping the gameplay as fair as possible. If the Server is US , people in Asia might be at an disadvantage. But we are working around it, and will have a solution ready. Part of it will just be another challenge for the competitors to overcome such a problem.

It will be international. Which will bring up yet another problem; different timezones.
    The international/non-international brings up some umm, interesting things. When playing with pretty much anyone outside the US i get so much , lag, etc. Australians (no offense) seem to be the worst for me to connect to. Asia isn't very good either. I haven't had enough encounters with South American players to judge that area, while Central America is hit and miss on good/bad connection. And obviously US is the best for me, and Europe for the most part is OK, not great. [yeah yeah i know there will always be differences in networks, and lag and whatnot, but i felt i should point out my experiences.]

Also, like you said, time zones. That will prove interesting, as i don't know how many people would want to play at 3am while others are playing at 3pm. lol

IMO, and a big one at that, it seems that regionalizing the comp. would be the best, if you have enough people in each region and enough hardware. So say, US+Canada, Europe, Asia+Oceania, South America+Central America. Or something like that.

Xtreme 3D Team
    oops - forgot to check age - ratings of games anyone scared of nightmares?
    Yea, my parents.

Over protective parents + a 14 year old =

Otherwise I'm in.
    Smile

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast