Thread: New to WC - Fill Level for Reservoir? Pump Noise?

New to WC - Fill Level for Reservoir? Pump Noise?

Hello - I've built quite a few systems but this is my first venture into liquid cooling so I'm back to being a Noob in this instance. This is my first post here.

I've begun leak testing and so far so good. However, I'm running with the reservoir nearly full and it doesn't appear that much water is being moved. My loop is Reservoir->Pump->CPU Block->Radiator->Reservoir. The pump is set at max (5). The reservoir is at the highest point in the loop and there there is absolutely no air remaining in the loop. Also, The pump occassionlly makes a brief sound like sucking on a straw after you've reached the bottom of the drink.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    ASUS P6X58D
    i7 975EE
    Asus ENGTX580
    Corsair Nova SSD 256GB
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    CL Titanium
    Swiftech Apogee XT
    Swiftech MCP35X
    Coolgate Quad
    Windows 7

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyStone View Post
    Hello - I've built quite a few systems but this is my first venture into liquid cooling so I'm back to being a Noob in this instance. This is my first post here.

I've begun leak testing and so far so good. However, I'm running with the reservoir nearly full and it doesn't appear that much water is being moved. My loop is Reservoir->Pump->CPU Block->Radiator->Reservoir. The pump is set at max (5). The reservoir is at the highest point in the loop and there there is absolutely no air remaining in the loop. Also, The pump occassionlly makes a brief sound like sucking on a straw after you've reached the bottom of the drink.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Depending on the strength of the pump, possibly the res and flow restrictions.

Even if you have as little restriction possible. It could very well appear as no water is moving.

However at least with my EK 150 Res, and the two EK blocks I have in my loop, if you were to look @ the res while the loop is running it does not look as though there is any flow, except for any bubbles however when the bubbles are gone, you can't really tell, except maybe for the pump being on.

So it kind of fools you, unless your loop isn't completely full. Then with the older EK res, you would get a funnel type effect. For the most part at least in my experience if your loop is bled completely and everything is sealed if you don't have a flow meter it will look as though the water isn't moving when in fact it is.

If you want that piece of mind then see about getting a flow meter or some type of indicator to install in the loop. Other wise check your temps, if they are steady, or minimal increase and are not excessively high, and your system doesn't shut down your good.

Make sure your CPU/GPU blocks are flowing in the right direction, what speed is your pump set to if variable?

Listen carefully to the loop, if you are just leak testing and not running the PC you can turn off the fans for the rad and listen for any air bubbles moving through the loop with the exception of the hum of the pump. Also try shaking your RAD a little bit to see if it frees up any trapped bubbles.

I am not home right now, or I could do a short vid clip with my system on.
    Last edited by phelan1777; 04-27-2010 at 08:38 AM.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If the pump still makes a brief sucking noise it means there are still bubbles running around. You might see them if you have transparent tubing. It also means you have flow.
    Once air is bled the only way to know you're having actual flow is to have some moving piece in the loop like in the EK spin res for example, or those inline spin flow meters. Otherwise, if there is no air left, there is no way to tell, apart from knowing the pump is running.
    You dont have to top up the reservoir completely, leaving a small pocket of air on top can act as a cushion vs pressure changes due to thermal expansion, pump pressure, etc.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Quote Originally Posted by gmat View Post
    If the pump still makes a brief sucking noise it means there are still bubbles running around. You might see them if you have transparent tubing. It also means you have flow.
    Once air is bled the only way to know you're having actual flow is to have some moving piece in the loop like in the EK spin res for example, or those inline spin flow meters. Otherwise, if there is no air left, there is no way to tell, apart from knowing the pump is running.
    You dont have to top up the reservoir completely, leaving a small pocket of air on top can act as a cushion vs pressure changes due to thermal expansion, pump pressure, etc.
    Thanks for the tips. Very useful. I appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Depending on the strength of the pump, possibly the res and flow restrictions.

Even if you have as little restriction possible. It could very well appear as no water is moving.

However at least with my EK 150 Res, and the two EK blocks I have in my loop, if you were to look @ the res while the loop is running it does not look as though there is any flow, except for any bubbles however when the bubbles are gone, you can't really tell, except maybe for the pump being on.

So it kind of fools you, unless your loop isn't completely full. Then with the older EK res, you would get a funnel type effect. For the most part at least in my experience if your loop is bled completely and everything is sealed if you don't have a flow meter it will look as though the water isn't moving when in fact it is.

If you want that piece of mind then see about getting a flow meter or some type of indicator to install in the loop. Other wise check your temps, if they are steady, or minimal increase and are not excessively high, and your system doesn't shut down your good.

Make sure your CPU/GPU blocks are flowing in the right direction, what speed is your pump set to if variable?

Listen carefully to the loop, if you are just leak testing and not running the PC you can turn off the fans for the rad and listen for any air bubbles moving through the loop with the exception of the hum of the pump. Also try shaking your RAD a little bit to see if it frees up any trapped bubbles.

I am not home right now, or I could do a short vid clip with my system on.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll follow your advice. My pump is variable speed and it's set to max. I've turned, twisted and and done back flips with the setup but I'll take your advice and keep working at eliminating any remaining air in the circuit. The Primoflex tubing is barely translucent and it's not that easy to spot bubbles so there certainly could be more air in the loop.
    ASUS P6X58D
    i7 975EE
    Asus ENGTX580
    Corsair Nova SSD 256GB
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    CL Titanium
    Swiftech Apogee XT
    Swiftech MCP35X
    Coolgate Quad
    Windows 7

Xtreme Member
    Your might also want to turn the loop off and tilt your case to release any air bubbles. You could also tap on your tubing also to dislodge any.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post

+1 mine is movin in the res but cant tell makes sucking sound when bubble hits the pump

I can barely tell the water is moving in mine also. There is just a tiny vortex in the top of the reservoir. One thing I did notice is that after I tipped the tower over on it's side, then straightened it back up. After power-on, I could really see some bubbles flying through there for a minute or so.
    P6X58D Premium - i7 930 @ 4.2GHz - Water - 3x2G SuperTalent, DDR3-2000 (8-8-8-24) - PowerColor 5870 - Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w -
    Water Cooled XSPC RS360 - Swiftech Apogee XT - Komodo 5870 - Lian-Li A70F

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah as previously said by other posters, you most likely won't see any movement when your loop is on. That's actually a good thing, as movement / noise indicate issues. You'll learn to hear your system and eventually figure out which noises mean it's refill time and which noises mean it's all good :P

Providing the temps are good then not seeing a disturbance in the water is generally a good sign, I can't tell if mine is moving on a MicroRes and a D5 on max

I am Xtreme
    I get way to nervous if I can't see the water moving in the res so, I only fill it as much as necessary to keep air from being sucked in which, is usually about a little more than half full.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!