Thread: The negative side of a controller

PCMark V Meister

The negative side of a controller

This is a Thread that is missing from this forum.

We are using the Best equipment out there. Sometimes the best that money can buy. We all speak about the Pros of our controllers or for our SSD or mechanic HDD.

But for our own expirience what is the Cons of them?? What problems do we see on them?

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Increased bootup times. That's about it. You lose a PCI-E slot, but really, most modern boards have slots and to spare these days, and I don't consider that a con - it's just to be expected from using a product that sits in a PCI-E slot.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

PCMark V Meister
    its not only bootup times... Because controllers are used mainly in Servers with uptime 95%+ so u dont need to boot.
    I would say for the LSI 9211 that is very very difficult to setit up properly for Optimum performance.. Factory settings Suxs.. very hot cpu when u use it for over 15mins. and and and.....

I am Xtreme
    Too many cables if using a lot of drives.
    power to all the drives gets to be problematic - too many connectors gets to be a reliability problem
    advantage - pcie direct connect drives (ioextreme, ...)

PCMark V Meister
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    pcie direct connect drives (ioextreme, ...)
    cost of buying

Xtreme Member
    I think one big downside of RAID controllers is that they often don't result in the performance improvements that many people seem to expect. For example, light-use, desktop-type applications (with low QD) will rarely realize an increase in performance from RAID, and it might in fact end up being slower than using a built-in controller such as the ICH10R. Another way to say the same thing is that benchmarks often don't reflect real-life use, particularly for single-user desktop machines.

Quote Originally Posted by AceNZ View Post
    I think one big downside of RAID controllers is that they often don't result in the performance improvements that many people seem to expect. For example, light-use, desktop-type applications (with low QD) will rarely realize an increase in performance from RAID, and it might in fact end up being slower than using a built-in controller such as the ICH10R. Another way to say the same thing is that benchmarks often don't reflect real-life use, particularly for single-user desktop machines.
    Oh , no, you didn't! Napalm called SWAT team to your place of residence Yeah, my problem is price/performance with these things. Would be sweet to have 2/4Gig RAID card with 4R0 x-25E though... Ideally direct PCIe card.

Sony KDL40 // ASRock P67 Extreme4 1.40 // Core i5 2500K //
    G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x2Gb // HD6950 2GB // Intel Gigabit CT PCIe //
    M-Audio Delta 2496 // Crucial-M4 128Gb // Hitachi 2TB // TRUE-120 //
    Antec Quattro 850W // Antec 1200 // Win7 64 bit

Xtreme Guru
    @acenz...aot of that is setup dependent though, and usage dependent. there are gains they are just very few

my main gripe is the loading overhead time while card initializes. they really need to fix that it suxors
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    @acenz...aot of that is setup dependent though, and usage dependent. there are gains they are just very few
    That's exactly my point.

I've talked with many people who have installed an expensive R0 setup, using all default / factory settings, and see no perf improvement for their day-to-day workload. For your average desktop user who just does web, email and occasional gaming, a controller board is overkill compared to just using the ICH10R.

Xtreme Guru
    very true... i wouldnt suggest someone with that usage pattern to get a 800 dollar card and 8 ssd...but possibly a 180 HBA and 2 or 3 x-25's maybe....
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by AceNZ View Post
    If you can live with the capacity constraint - the "snapiest" low-qdepth performance for a desktop machine is probably had with an Acard 9010. At low qdepth, looks like the acard has something like a factor of 2 better 4k random read performance than the fastest SSDs (Vertex LE, Crucial C300, ...). The ioxtreme might also provide this kind of performance but not yet bootable.
    Last edited by SteveRo; 04-28-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Xtreme Member
    If you can live with the capacity constraint - the "snapiest" low-qdepth performance for a desktop machine is probably had with an Acard 9010. At low qdepth, looks like the acard has something like a factor of 2 better 4k random read performance than the fastest SSDs (Vertex LE, Crucial C300, ...). The ioxtreme might also provide this kind of performance but not yet bootable.
    Yes, the Acard definitely has a place.

My issue with them isn't so much the capacity / cost (although that's definitely an issue), as the fact that they're volatile; constant backups would be a big pain in the ass in my environment. Most desktop users I work with are lucky to backup once every few months. Going from that to once every few hours is a non-starter.

NooB MOD
    What causes dedicated controllers to be so much slower than integrated controllers?
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

I am Xtreme
    Too many cables if using a lot of drives.
    power to all the drives gets to be problematic - too many connectors gets to be a reliability problem
    This. I use to have a 16 HDD array but got rid of it as I was sick of the cables.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    What causes dedicated controllers to be so much slower than integrated controllers?
    Probably multiple contributors - longer data path, additional processing, un-optimized drivers and/or f/w, marginal compatibility with either mobo or drives ...

NooB MOD
    Sorry, I meant for initialisation. I've seen RAID cards add 40s to boot times while they start up
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

SLC
    Well it sort of has its own internal OS to load up.

The manufacturers also tend to have little care of the bootup times because the majority of their clients use RAID cards for servers which never reboot anyway so it is not a factor for most users...