Thread: Fan problem

Xtreme Member

Fan problem

Ok, so I was changing out fan controllers to handle the high amperage koolance 38mm fans I have on my GTX 480s.

The problem I am having is that when each are plugged into molexes individually, they spin at full speed but when I use the four way 3-pin splitter I have, three of the fans sputter when I turn on the power at 5v - they'll run great at 12v. I use the same type of 4-way splitter on the other radiator and the fans spin up and run fine at 5v (same koolance fans).

Is it a problem with my fans?
    Last edited by Stvwndr219; 04-26-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Are the fans your comparing them to the same? For most 38mm thick fans 5V isn't enough to properly power them and that what is causing the sputtering.

Xtreme Member
    yah, all are koolance 38mm fans - the ones on the second GTX 480 all work at 5v but three of the ones on the first gtx 480 don't work.

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Mentor
    Are all these fans connected in series and are the ones not working the furthest in the series?

Xtreme Member
    you said something about a fan controller, what fan controller band and model?
    Intel Q6600 L727A 3.2GHz (8*400 @ 1.35v)
    Asus Maximus Formula
    2X2gb Gskill DDRII-1000
    XFX 5870
    WD 150Gb Raptor and Maxtor 250Gb DiamondMax10
    2X Samsung DVD-RW DL SATA
    Silverstone OP850
    Thermalright Ultra 120 Xtreme (lapped)
    Thermaltake Armor
    thats it, and proud of it.
    Heatware: pby5cat

Xtreme Member
    @pby5cat, the fan controller is a lamptron fan-atic (12v, off, 5v) are the settings for the switches.

@puslar, the splitter has all the black cables going into a black cable and all the red into another red cable. I assume this is parallel?

Xtreme Mentor
    Sorry I worded that question funny, how many fans on that channel or plug that has the issues with the fans? Could be a wiring issue also the 3-pin wires aren't thick enough and after time degrade quickly.

Xtreme Member
    It seems like it may be the wires connected directly to the fans themselves. I connected them individually and they start up at 12v but not at 5v and starting at 12v and then switching to 5v doesn't work either. What do you suggest I can do about this?

Xtreme Mentor
    Not much you can do other than RMA unless you want to rewire all those fans from the hub.

I am Xtreme
    Have you sleeved the fans? If so, check to see if the pins are in their proper place.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!