Thread: upcomming ssds?

Xtreme Member

upcomming ssds?

Any news(and maybe specs) on what interesting new SSD's we can expect later this year?
    Would have imagined things would move a little faster in this area as it's still so new, more and more companies are joining in on it, and should think there's plenty of room for improvements too being a relative new technologi.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The key word in SSD innovation and new drives is controller, there were recently launched 3 new controllers from SandForce (SF-1200/1500), Micron (C300), and JMicron/Toshiba (JMF612/618). There has also been a refresh of the good old Indilinx Barefoot (Barefoot Eco).

The upcomming controllers i know of are: Indilinx JetStream (ETA unknown), and Intel G3 (this fall). There may also be new mini-PCIe SSDs comming up for the notebook market, but i'm not aware of any. I also kind of suspect Samsung may launch a new controller series later this year, but there have been no mention of such a thing yet.

There are loads of stuff going on in the enterprise SSD enviroment, especially in rackmount and ASAP sollutions, but those are not relevant for most users here. For those who care, there are loads of enterprice SSD news here: http://storagesearch.com/ssd.html
    I also suggest most people check out these two pages:
    http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-fastest.html
    http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-top10.html

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the reply,

To bad the ETA on the jestream is still unknown was looking forward to more on that. But will also be great to see what the Intel G3 offers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've sent a mail to indilinx about 3 weeks ago requesting any info they can share on jetstream with listed reasons why sharing if they can (for legal reasons and stuff) would be a good thing. I have not recieved a reply.
    I'm waiting with some anticipation for Intel G3. If they make it with SATA 6Gbps, and utilize the NAND performance fully on all capacities, i may buy one (or more) to retire my Mtron Pro RAID.

Is it both the intel E and M G3 that is gona be released later this year?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's M G3 and E G2, there will also be an V G2. They will all be of the same generation though, E just skipped one, and V came one generation later.