Thread: M4A79T Deluxe new bios 3107 - enable/disable Turbo Core

all outta gum

M4A79T Deluxe new bios 3107 - enable/disable Turbo Core

Added option to enable/disable Turbo Core on Thuban and Zosma
    Download here: M4A79T bios 3107
    Enjoy
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Flashed to this BIOS last night. Works with some quirks. When turbo is disabled, Windows seems determined to set you to a 4x multiplier regardless of what you have set in the BIOS until you use AOD and set the multiplier back to whatever you want. K10Stat doesn't seem able to fix it.

Also note that the EZ Flash 2 application in the BIOS can read Windows 7's version of NTFS as far as folders and filenames are concerned, but it cannot read the contents of files themselves properly. You will have to write this ROM to a FAT32 flash drive or something and flash from that for it to work.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Anyone else willing to chime in on this BIOS? I just put a 1055T into my board, and overclocking is a pita, as the turbo does strange things when raising the reference clock (I saw it jumping between 800mhz and 4600mhz with the multiplier set to auto at clock 240mhz in BIOS).

It does the same with 1090T, only sometimes it works like it should work allways Didnt want to wait any longer so i ordered Cf IV and got it today, hope that there will be good bios for the M4A79T dlx too soon
    X58: R3E & XPOWER | 980X | GTX580 | 3x2gb MGH-e | Dimastech | AX1200

s775: RE | E8600 | GTX285 | 4x1gb D9GTR | P&C 610W

SB: 2600k | Asus P8P67 & Gigabyte UD4 | GTX 460 1gb | 550W Cougar

This BIOS also lowers voltage when not under load no matter the setting. The fix is simple, however:

Start up computer set however you'd like but set -0.5x on the multiplier from where you intend to be. Start AOD and begin any full load (such as the built-in stress test). Change the multiplier to be where you wanted and apply. Open K10Stat and modify the p-tables to have all states be set to the multiplier and VID you wanted and apply. Stop the stress test and close both applications.

When you've done this, there are no more frequency or VID fluctuations provided CnQ and Turbo are both disabled. It's just smooth sailing. As a side note, this motherboard can do REALLY high HT ref frequencies. I had no trouble playing with 325 MHz last night.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    Will the x6 work with the 3004 revision?
    AMD Phenom II 1090T,
    4gb mushkin ridgebacks pc1600ddr3, 65gb Patriot ssd, saphire 5970 asus 5870 trifire, 1600W psu. windows 7 professional 64 bit, phase cooling

Quote Originally Posted by closeracing View Post
    Will the x6 work with the 3004 revision?
    From my experiences, it boots up and is recognized properly, and runs great at stock. However, once overclocking (at least via reference clock), things get screwy (most likely due to the turbo).

Oddly, though, I have much less problems with my overclock in Ubuntu 10.04 x64 than in Windows 7 x64. The cores don't seem to jump around like the do at htt frequency = 240. Not sure what the deal is...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devguy View Post
    From my experiences, it boots up and is recognized properly, and runs great at stock. However, once overclocking (at least via reference clock), things get screwy (most likely due to the turbo).

Oddly, though, I have much less problems with my overclock in Ubuntu 10.04 x64 than in Windows 7 x64. The cores don't seem to jump around like the do at htt frequency = 240. Not sure what the deal is...
    Wonder what would happen if you did not install turbo.
    I would like a 1090t but I have heard of other problems with it and this board on the mushkin forum. Maybe I'll wait for the next bios.
    AMD Phenom II 1090T,
    4gb mushkin ridgebacks pc1600ddr3, 65gb Patriot ssd, saphire 5970 asus 5870 trifire, 1600W psu. windows 7 professional 64 bit, phase cooling

Xtreme Member
    Bios 3004 is having issues with USB and creative PCI sound cards. ARe any of you haveing these sort of issues with 3107 ?

oh - i dont see 3107 on the asus site - is it still beta ?

The 3107 beta has never been available on their website as far as I know. I've only seen it listed here. As for the AIBs you're talking about, I'm guessing your issue is going to be more specific than an entire class of cards and and entire company's sound card lineup. What cards are you using, specifically?

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

3107 has been uploaded to the FTP website. Anyone try it to see if it is the same beta bios others have been having problems with?

The ROMs are bit-for-bit identical.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

BIOS on Asus site is the same beta that borks X6 performance so don't even bother to install it

3107 hurts performance? In what way? I've not even run this 1055 on an older version at all.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

It changes multiplier to 4x randomly, if you run a benchmark like Everest or Sandra the results will be

Oh, just that problem? You can sidestep it by doing what I outlined in post #5. Locks you in at the desired FID and VID until you reboot.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Turbo doesn't work either and it doesn't behave like a 6-core. Both are easy too see when running Heaven 2.0 benchmark which is what AMD did, besides the new BIOS should work without tricks, or bring an instruction manual

If you run with default settings then turbo works just fine. It also does work just fine as a 6-core. I have six cores and score appropriately in multithreaded benchmarks versus quads. At 4.1GHz I even beat my brother's Core i7 at 4.2GHz in CB 11.5.

I will agree with you that it should work fine without tricks, but it's the difference between Turbo being disabled (what virtually ever overclocker needs) and not. Tricks for me it is given the choice. Disabling it in software is kind of hit and miss.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

I have tried enabling turbo but cores don't scale under heavy use, maybe it's meant for overclockers but I had read it should switch the CPU to 18x while Turbo is on and never drop to x4 of course

Turbo is not going to engage under heavy use. It isn't supposed to. It is designed to engage under limited load such as when you have an app using only two main processing threads. It also engages and disengages so quick that you're never likely to see any one core set to turbo for more than a flash.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Heaven 2.0 should balance load between cores and you should see Turbo boost most of the time (according to AMD) but nothing of that happens except that it doesn't break the system going back to 4x but if you run Everest or Sandra benchmarks you will get a loooooooooooooooooow rating with them, with AOD I get a score of 2155 (8100 with the 3004) and CnC is never enabled in BIOS of course

Xtreme Member
    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/so...M4A79T_Deluxe/

The link for this board on the FTP site.
    PH II 550 x2@X4B50 3.2 1.35v
    M4A79X-EVO
    2x2 corsair 1600 Dominator
    LITE-ON 16X DVD BURNER
    HIS 5770
    swiftech mcr220,apogee gt,mcw30,mcp655,micro-res
    PCP&C 610 silencer
    black stacker 810

It's same BIOS as the one posted in april, nothing fixed