Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GeForce GTX 400 Yields Are at 20% - 30%, Further Delays Possible – Analysts.

Xtreme Mentor

Nvidia GeForce GTX 400 Yields Are at 20% - 30%, Further Delays Possible – Analysts.

"Even though Nvidia Corp. commercially released its GeForce GTX 400-series roughly six months after the first public demonstration and had to disable parts of the chips to ensure higher supply, financial analysts from Needham and Company claim that Nvidia only has about ten thousand of Fermi-series chips on the market at the moment and that the yields of Fermi chips is between 20% and 30%."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d..._Analysts.html

WoW seems Charlie had some insight...
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    "Even though Nvidia Corp. commercially released its GeForce GTX 400-series roughly six months after the first public demonstration and had to disable parts of the chips to ensure higher supply, financial analysts from Needham and Company claim that Nvidia only has about ten thousand of Fermi-series chips on the market at the moment and that the yields of Fermi chips is between 20% and 30%."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d..._Analysts.html

WoW seems Charlie had some insight...
    and you think that financial analysts would know this information? They probably read Charlie in the first place

I bet you that financial analysts know a lot LESS about the GPU market than the average XS reader! I am not saying this is not true, but making a story about a financial analyst claim is laughable.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    impossible! charlie cant have been right or even close to the truth! hes making everything up!
    this is just xbitlabs backing him up for some reason, maybe he sold them drugs or kindapped antons dog (owner of xbitlabs)

iirc i did some math a while back and 20-30% was the point where yields were acceptable, below 20% the retail price per card would be in the 750$+ range...
    so what do you know, nvidia might actually not be losing money on 470 and 480 cards... i still doubt they are making much if any with the cards they sell atm though...
    im pretty sure that they are selling the current cards for pr and to support their AIBs...

Xtreme Mentor
    Financial analysts are big cats they just dont read charlie's posts they have sources and a understanding about the sector they do work in. Its not by magic that they are in the position they are in it due to years of speculation and understanding among other things.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Guru
    No, Chalie threw around many numbers including conflicting numbers in a number of this articles.

This one says two things: "well under 20%" and "well under 2%".

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/...hacked-gtx480/

If you throw enough darts at a dart board, you will eventually hit the bulls eye. Charlie may have sources (there is no doubt about that) but he embelishes the info they give him far too much.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    No, Chalie threw around many numbers including conflicting numbers in a number of this articles.

If you throw enough darts at a dart board, you will eventually hit the bulls eye. Charlie may have sources (there is no doubt about that) but he embelishes the info they give him far too much.
    Perhaps, just perhaps, it was the case then vs now where there is a slight improvement. Honestly, going from under 20% back then to 20%-30% now does sound reasonable. I really don't see the need where he has to be accurate for what may have been the case back then to "it must be the case now". Or else he's "throwing darts...".

On another note according to the article Nvidia was downgraded to "hold". That's not good at all. Looking at the ticker their stock went from over $17 to $16.62. Apparently having a negative impact on them even though they are at "hold" instead of "sell". But time will tell if that trend continues.
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 04-22-2010 at 05:35 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    The majority of nVidia's VLSI people must have left the company to think of it.

Tegra 1 taking 1+ year to get into a product
    Tegra 2 now taking ~1 year to get into a product after delays
    GT21x being delayed for 4-6 months when it was supposed to be released before RV740 (4770)
    GF100 process trainwreck
    GF104 even taking that long to come out by virtue

I think management pissed off the wrong department unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
    and you think that financial analysts would know this information? They probably read Charlie in the first place

I bet you that financial analysts know a lot LESS about the GPU market than the average XS reader! I am not saying this is not true, but making a story about a financial analyst claim is laughable.
    Typical syndrom often seen around here : People always think they know better than insiders. There's actually a name for this syndrom, I read about it a while ago..

Xtreme Addict
    I could wait for mid end GeForce for like another 6 months or i could just buy HD5850 and be happy. Well, i did and i'm happy. Supply of GeForce cards is really horrific.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by metalop1g View Post
    Typical syndrom often seen around here : People always think they know better than insiders. There's actually a name for this syndrom, I read about it a while ago..
    Now you must know more about this syndrome than the actual insiders .
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Banned

If you throw enough darts at a dart board, you will eventually hit the bulls eye.
    Stop copying the SemiAccurate logo for your metaphors!

Anyway hitting the bulls eye with 2 darts is pretty impressive...

I can understand why people who favour Nv don't like him much, and also some people who don't happen to favour Nv and simply don't like bias.

The sting comes of course when he is proved 'SemiAccurate'!

For me at least his articles are the most entertaining tech based articles I'v ever read, and it's Nv who supply the material by the lorry load.

What I like about Charlie is the fact that while obviously biased he does not pretend to be unbiased, kind of refreshing to see such honesty.

Let me ask a question to the General forum...
    Who would you trust more to tell you the honest (known) truth about Nv products from the following two choices.

1) Charlie
    2) Nvidia

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Perhaps, just perhaps, it was the case then vs now where there is a slight improvement.
    The article I linked was written 23 DAYS ago. Not months ago. Going from "well under 20%" and "well under 2%" to 20-30% is a massive jump in such a short time considering the well-documented issues TSMC is having with this chip.

Still, this thread isn't about Charlie. It should be about the problems NVIDIA may now have in the investment community considering the overly bullish outlook some had. A target of $22? Seriously?
    Last edited by SKYMTL; 04-22-2010 at 06:25 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    Maybe that Management p'd off the engineering Dep.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    Now you must know more about this syndrome than the actual insiders .
    I see what you did there...

But yes this was to expected. If they had said higher than 40% I'd would be extremely skeptical.
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

I am Xtreme
    The article I linked was written 23 DAYS ago. Not months ago. Going from "well under 20%" and "well under 2%" to 20-30% is a massive jump in such a short time considering the well-documented issues TSMC is having with this chip.

Still, this thread isn't about Charlie. It should be about the problems NVIDIA may now have in the investment community considering the overly bullish outlook some had. A target of $22? Seriously?
    Oh so you think that news posted 23 days ago had to be for that day and thar day only. Got it. Perhaps it was regarding information prior to the date it was published from him. But this thread really isn't about him, I find it interesting that Nv was placed on a "hold" status. Only time will tell how that will impact them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Analysts are subject to the same sort of misconceptions as anyone else. While they do generally have good contacts and are well paid to know what is going on within a particular industry, their perceptions of what a company needs to be doing can vary. Tech companies have their stocks fluctuate wildly based on whether or not their latest creation is perceived to be a hit with consumers, or whether it is advancing far enough ahead of the competition. Analysts and investors are skittish right now, looking to see large profits and high volume among other things. Nvidia has had good quarters recently, but the stock market is based on the future, not the past. If an analyst thinks rough times are ahead, they'll downgrade a companies stock pretty quick.

Xtreme Addict
    Xbitlabs have been biased towards ATI ever since there HD4890 , that is why i wasn't surprised when they showed there 480GTX review almost 10 days later than everyone else
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

PI in the face
    ^ couldnt get one because of the 20-30% yields?
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kemo View Post
    Xbitlabs have been biased towards ATI ever since there HD4890 , that is why i wasn't surprised when they showed there 480GTX review almost 10 days later than everyone else
    So Xbitlabs made this up because they are ATI biased, there was no hold placed on Nvidia stock. I'm glad you cleared that up.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Man I hope nvidia improves their cards. I'm not an nvidia fanboy, but I really do enjoy their products. Then again both gpu manufacturers goes through a rough series in video cards.
    Gaming rig
    Mountain mods Plateau-18 -- Core i7 980x 4ghz -- Msi big bang x-power -- 6gb Mushkin redline 998691 ddr3 1600 (6-7-6-18-1T) -- Gigabyte GTX580SO (900/1800/1100) -- Win7 64bit pro

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast

Are you misreading his article on purpose?
    He's telling the whole GF100 story.
    From the 2% yields for the hot lots (linking his sept 2009 article), to under 20% for production wafers (march 2010 numbers).

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    On another note according to the article Nvidia was downgraded to "hold". That's not good at all. Looking at the ticker their stock went from over $17 to $16.62. Apparently having a negative impact on them even though they are at "hold" instead of "sell". But time will tell if that trend continues.
    Possible solution: Rename NVDA to something else.... should work... for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    The majority of nVidia's VLSI people must have left the company to think of it.

Tegra 1 taking 1+ year to get into a product
    Tegra 2 now taking ~1 year to get into a product after delays
    GT21x being delayed for 4-6 months when it was supposed to be released before RV740 (4770)
    GF100 process trainwreck
    GF104 even taking that long to come out by virtue

I would call it failure to execute.
    Like Intel during the final Netburst times.
    They'll probably recover, just as Intel did.

Quote Originally Posted by kemo View Post
    Or maybe they were cut out from the initial review...
    Wouldn't be the first time Nvidia does it, they even cutted out Anandtech when necessary.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2731/2
    This part was fun:
    Perhaps NVIDIA was afraid we'd point out that it was nothing more than a 9800 GTX+ that ran a little cooler. Or perhaps we haven't been positive enough about CUDA and PhysX and NVIDIA was trying to punish us.
    Last edited by Piotrsama; 04-22-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    piotrsama: 20-30% is still "well above" the "well below 20%" figure, don't you think?

Actually 20-30% don't sound too bad to the ear considering the gigantic chip that runs superh ot, and the rumors that we had been hearing. I am inclined to think this means well for GF104.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotrsama View Post
    Possible solution: Rename NVDA to something else.... should work... for some time.
    like Xfinity, worked for Comcast right!?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    So Xbitlabs made this up because they are ATI biased, there was no hold placed on Nvidia stock. I'm glad you cleared that up.
    They didnt made it up , they are just more willing to pass Information

Quote Originally Posted by Piotrsama View Post
    Or maybe they were cut out from the initial review...
    Wouldn't be the first time Nvidia does it, they even cutted out Anandtech when necessary.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2731/2
    This part was fun:
    The HD4890 article was a reason for cutting for sure , and as far as i know they didnt cut anand on Fermi , they would Cut [H] before anand
    Last edited by kemo; 04-22-2010 at 09:57 AM.
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast