Thread: flow/temp/fan monitor and controller

Xtreme Member

Question flow/temp/fan monitor and controller

Putting together my first WC system soon and I'm hitting a wall on finding a good monitoring system for it. Apart from stuff specifically designed for WC everything I've seen is far to expensive, but all the WC stuff either get's bad reviews or doesn't do what I want. The most important goal is to have a system that can detect system status of both the computer and WC system and shut it down if something goes wrong (i.e. something overheats, flow stops etc.). Being able to detect flow rate, water temperature and control fans is an added bonus that would be nice to have.

The aquero system looked like the best at first glance, but the fan controller is a bit pathetic and I've read that the flow sensor can make some very irritating noises. It's also software dependent so before it loads and if something goes wrong with it the system can't/won't do anything (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure about this).

Can't really say what's wrong with the koolance monitoring system but general consensus seems to be that it's not very good and should be avoided.

Read a post on XS about the AquaComputer Aquastream XT Ultra and it sounded really good, except I can't find any other information on it other than it has trouble turning fans when the computer is turned on :\. It also seems to be some sort of kit with an ehiem pump which isn't what I'm looking for.

So what should I be looking for

TIA,

redmaw

Xtreme Member
    I've looked around. I don't like any of them.

I currently have the TMS-200 + TMS-EB200 with an FM17 flow meter, some Koolance water temperature sensors and a boatload of analog temperature sensors. I have it controlling and monitoring two D5 pumps, eight fans, the FM17 flow meter and a handful of temperature sensors. The hardware is good, but the software is very limited. For instance it does not even permit entering of parameters that would permit using non-Koolance flow meters or sensors. They open sourced the software, but it's written in VB6 of all things. It needs a complete re-write in a supported language. preferably one that has multiple platform support. Even VB.net would be an improvement. It also needs to be broken up into server (e.g., Windows service) and UI client parts.
    Last edited by astrodanco; 04-21-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    If you don't like what I have to say, please feel free to ignore it. I do!

Core i7 920 (D0) @ 4.0Ghz, P6T Deluxe V2 (0901), 12GB Corsair CM3X2G1600C7 @ 1600 7.7.7.20 2T, ATCS 840, Antec TPQ 850, Radeon 4850, TMS-200 + TMS-EB200, EK Supreme HF, EK-D5 dual top, 2x MCP-655-B, MCR-420, 7X Skythe D1225C12B5AP-15, Durelene tubing. Obviously not a gamer as you can tell by the low end video card.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Maw View Post
    Putting together my first WC system soon and I'm hitting a wall on finding a good monitoring system for it. Apart from stuff specifically designed for WC everything I've seen is far to expensive, but all the WC stuff either get's bad reviews or doesn't do what I want. The most important goal is to have a system that can detect system status of both the computer and WC system and shut it down if something goes wrong (i.e. something overheats, flow stops etc.). Being able to detect flow rate, water temperature and control fans is an added bonus that would be nice to have.

The aquero system looked like the best at first glance, but the fan controller is a bit pathetic and I've read that the flow sensor can make some very irritating noises. It's also software dependent so before it loads and if something goes wrong with it the system can't/won't do anything (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure about this).

Can't really say what's wrong with the koolance monitoring system but general consensus seems to be that it's not very good and should be avoided.

Read a post on XS about the AquaComputer Aquastream XT Ultra and it sounded really good, except I can't find any other information on it other than it has trouble turning fans when the computer is turned on :\. It also seems to be some sort of kit with an ehiem pump which isn't what I'm looking for.

So what should I be looking for

TIA,

redmaw
    The Aquaero works without any software. You use the Aquasuite software to set it up. Once done it will work as soon as you power your system up. I don't know about the flow sensor as I don't use one, but I wonder why you're saying that the fan controller is pathetic? In my opinion the Aquaero is the best automatic controller in the market.

Xtreme Addict
    There are a few Flowmeters available, which you can connect directly at a fan header on your board, like the one from Innovatek or the upcoming product from GMR :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpVLSEYyRd4

You can use Software like Speedfan under Win XP / Win 7 to check out the Flowrate

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by bundymania View Post
    There are a few Flowmeters available, which you can connect directly at a fan header on your board, like the one from Innovatek or the upcoming product from GMR :

You can use Software like Speedfan under Win XP / Win 7 to check out the Flowrate
    ...again, was interested. . .until Innovatek was mentioned.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by astrodanco View Post
    I've looked around. I don't like any of them.

I currently have the TMS-200 + TMS-EB200 with an FM17 flow meter, some Koolance water temperature sensors and a boatload of analog temperature sensors. I have it controlling and monitoring two D5 pumps, eight fans, the FM17 flow meter and a handful of temperature sensors. The hardware is good, but the software is very limited. For instance it does not even permit entering of parameters that would permit using non-Koolance flow meters or sensors. They open sourced the software, but it's written in VB6 of all things. It needs a complete re-write in a supported language. preferably one that has multiple platform support. Even VB.net would be an improvement. It also needs to be broken up into server (e.g., Windows service) and UI client parts.
    send me the sourcecode
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
    The Aquaero works without any software. You use the Aquasuite software to set it up. Once done it will work as soon as you power your system up. I don't know about the flow sensor as I don't use one, but I wonder why you're saying that the fan controller is pathetic? In my opinion the Aquaero is the best automatic controller in the market.
    I was expecting more than 5w per channel, but the multiswitch fixes that issue (just found the multiswitch a few minutes ago). I still have reservations about it due to all the problems it seems to have but I think you're right, right now it's the best option on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by bundymania View Post

The GMR one sounds promising, I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

---

Okay so before I decide on and Aqua Computer solution, anyone want to say anything in favor of the mcubed T-balancer? It looks pretty good except I'd rather sacrifice 5.25" bays than 3.25" so the aquero has an advantage lol.

TIA,

redmaw

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    send me the sourcecode
    Koolance has it available for download. You can download it from here.
    If you don't like what I have to say, please feel free to ignore it. I do!

Core i7 920 (D0) @ 4.0Ghz, P6T Deluxe V2 (0901), 12GB Corsair CM3X2G1600C7 @ 1600 7.7.7.20 2T, ATCS 840, Antec TPQ 850, Radeon 4850, TMS-200 + TMS-EB200, EK Supreme HF, EK-D5 dual top, 2x MCP-655-B, MCR-420, 7X Skythe D1225C12B5AP-15, Durelene tubing. Obviously not a gamer as you can tell by the low end video card.

Xtreme Member
    Send me one of the devices for testing and I'll port it to C# or C++ or something

EDIT: A little more seriously, it appears as if all control is done via the COM port interface (Mscomm object in VB), presumably with some COM to USB wrapper, as the device connects via USB I think? Given that the protocol is pretty simple, ie you either send or receive one of the following structures:
    1. Report

Total = 26 Byte
    ----------------------------------------

0 : STX(0xDF)
    1 : CMD(0x00)
    2 ~ 11 : Temp.32~192(-30C~130C)
    12 ~ 17 : FAN(6Byte)
    18, 19 : Pump(2Byte)
    20, 21 : F-M (2Byte)
    22 : Ext BRD(1Byte)
    23 : Firmware version(1Byte)
    24 : 0~255 (1Byte)
    25 : CRC(Check Sum)

* S-O:0x01, Sensor Open
    S-S:OxA3, Sensor Shut

2. Set(Host to TMS)

Total = 40 Byte

0 : STX(0xCF)
    1 : CMD(0x01)
    2 ~ 11 : BZ Temp Set (0C~100C)
    12 ~ 21 : Relay Temp Set (0C~100C)
    22 : Tem Unit(1:Celsius, 2:Fahrenheit)
    23 ~ 28 : Fan Speed Set(Hex:0~100%)
    29, 30 : Pump Speed Set(Hex:0~31)
    31 : Main-Flow Meter Set (1:INS-F17, 2:INS-F16)
    32 : Main-Tube Set (1:10mm, 2:6mm)
    33 : EXT-Flow Meter Set (1:INS-F17, 2:INS-F16)
    34 : EXT-Tube Set (1:10mm, 2:6mm)
    35 : EXT BRD Status(1:No Board, 2: EXT Bosrd)
    36 : Buzzer (1:ON, 2:OFF)
    37 : Relay (1:ON, 2:OFF)
    38 : User Board No (Hex : 0~255)
    39 : CRC(Check Sum)

Writing something that monitors it and allows simple changes would be pretty simple. Actually recreating the the graph and controlling software may be a little more work. I am kind of surprised no one has started doing this. Seems like a fun project.
    Last edited by ascl; 04-22-2010 at 08:15 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Maw View Post
    I was expecting more than 5w per channel, but the multiswitch fixes that issue (just found the multiswitch a few minutes ago). I still have reservations about it due to all the problems it seems to have but I think you're right, right now it's the best option on the market.

The GMR one sounds promising, I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.

---

Okay so before I decide on and Aqua Computer solution, anyone want to say anything in favor of the mcubed T-balancer? It looks pretty good except I'd rather sacrifice 5.25" bays than 3.25" so the aquero has an advantage lol.

TIA,

redmaw
    mcubed t-balancer doesn't occupy any bay, can be putted anywhere almost, better put it somewhere there are good ventilation, properly cooled it can output 100+ watt analog total, no active cooling = about 40 watt analog total, Check out mcubed forum. Updates etc can only be found on forum it seems.
    and last thing don't buy t-balancer classic... it supports only pwm fans. BigNG supports both analog and pwm

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueking View Post
    mcubed t-balancer doesn't occupy any bay, can be putted anywhere almost, better put it somewhere there are good ventilation, properly cooled it can output 100+ watt analog total, no active cooling = about 40 watt analog total, Check out mcubed forum. Updates etc can only be found on forum it seems.
    and last thing don't buy t-balancer classic... it supports only pwm fans. BigNG supports both analog and pwm
    The Tbalancer bigNG and miniNG really don't get enough love around here. This is hands down the best fan/pump controller/monitor I've ever owned. It will do everything you've talked about. It's a little pricey but well worth it imho.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueking View Post
    The spare space I have in my case is two 5.25" bays, which I'll probably never use lol. Proper ventilation could be a problem, not sure where it could go that has active cooling.
    Originally I was avoided the t-balancer since most of the documentation on the website was ~4 years old but if they have updates on the forum that's good enough for me. I'll check out the forums later today, thanks for the advice.

Edit: Support for both the aquero and t-balancer appear to be quite poor, going to look into some other methods.
    Last edited by Red Maw; 04-23-2010 at 06:23 PM.