Thread: Call me crazy 26+ fans 1 case

Call me crazy 26+ fans 1 case

Been building pcs for a few years now ANY TIPS comments IDEAS Constructive criticisms are appreciated.

User Name: DAVE1210

CPU: i7 960
    Motherboard: x58 E760 by EVGA
    CPU Overclock Speed: Stock
    Video Card & Quantity: 1 x 7800gtx -> ?
    Videocard Overclock: ?

Watercooling:YES
    CPU Block: XT Swiftech
    NorthBridge Block: EK-FB-EVGA-X58-classified acetal-nickel
    SouthBridgeBlock: see above
    Mosfet Block: see above
    Videocard WB/WBs: ?
    Radiator & Quantity: 4x XSPC RX360 3x120
    Radiator Fans & Quantity: S-Flex E x ~26
    Radiator Location:FRONT and REAR
    Radiator Fan Direction: IN & UP
    Reservoir: 2 x T-VIRUS
    Tubing & Size: Primochill White 1/2" ID / 3/4" OD
    Barb/Fitting Size: 13mm/19mm
    Pump & Quantity: {FUTURE} 3 x DDC 3.25 18W
    Pumps-Series/Parallel: SERIES & 2 LOOP

The only case I could find to hold this much crap...
    EXTENDED ASCENSION 2'x2'x18" by MountainMods

Way too much tubing 1/2" ID 3/4"OD Primochill but more than enough

some Feser ONE clear (decided on colored rather ...white tubing instead of dye)

no major gpu yet waiting possibly for eterity

two loops decided cpu on one gpus on the other

I figured i'd divy up the rads as 1 for the cpu/chipset and 3 for the gpus seeing where these GTX 480s are

going (that isn't that bad...right?)

the ascent RAM coolers are really good NO RAM WATER

power is a silverstone zeus 1200w to be unisleeved over time as it is modular and I have a spare

I am going to be using compression fittings any advice?

I'm also going to incorporate as few quick disconects as I can they may be needed for pending upgrades near

future

I'll be getting one vid card at a time so quick disconnects MAY save some hassle.

well that is the grand master plan

to start though I'll just be cooling the cpu with 1 rad 1 res(probably not the T) 1 future pump (yes I need a

pump) of course a block maybe a trio of fans to cool it if the thing doesn't leak then ... oh then I might

install the water cooling system into the case power the pump for another 24 then power up the pc providing

no signs of leaks.

I am sorta new to liquid so ..
    CorsairH50 was my first

am I in over my head ???

Again ANY TIPS comments IDEAS Constructive criticisms are appreciated.

a basic water cooler would probably cost you less than 26 scythe fans
    and MM case is big enough to install the compressor and radiator inside it!
    just a ghetto chiller, no 0 celsius overkill, but it's way more compact and quiet than 4 rads with 24 fans
    Rig: Phenom II X3 710, Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4, Radeon 5850 in an Antec P180
    Cooling: MCP655, Supreme HF, MCW60, RX360, MCRES-MICRO

Xtreme Member
    My MM case have 29 Fans, all at 800RPM.
    980X, GA-X58A-UD7, OCZ3B1600LV6GK 2G x6, Asus Gtx480 Sli, Intel X25-E 32G x3 raid0, Enermax 85+ 1050w, MM UFO-CYO & Pedestal
    Wc loop:
    2xMcp655/EK Dual D5 Top->Feser 360(6xGT AP15)->Feser 360(6xGT AP15)->EK-Supreme HF->EK-FB KIT (UD7) NB/SB->PA 120.3(3xGT AP15)->EK RES 150
    2xMcp655/EK Dual D5 Top->PA 120.3(5xGT AP15)->PA 120.2(4xGT AP13)->PA160(NB PK-3)->EK-FC480 GTX in Parallel->EK-FB KIT (UD7) Mosfets->EK RES 100

I7 920, Evga X58 Micro E756, OCZ3B1600LV6GK 2G x3, GTX295, Intel X25-M G1 80G & ST 7200.4 320G, Enermax Modu 625W, Lianli PC-A05N.
    WC loop: DDC 3.25/XSPC resTop->HK v3.0 CU->EK-NB/SB 5->MIPS Mosfet->Koolance NX295->XSPC RX360 (3x GT AP15)->XSPC RX120 (2x GT AP13)

I3 530,H55N-USB3,Gskill F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH,MSI GTX460,Intel X25-E 64G & OCZ V2 240G,Enermax Modu 525W,Custom WC Case.
    Wc loop: DDC 3.25/XSPC resTop->Feser 120 (1x Yate Loon 120x20mm)->XSPC RX240 (2x GT AP15)->Custom NB Water Block->EK-Supreme HF->EK-FC460 GTX

Xtreme Member
    crazy

Quote Originally Posted by kone View Post
    I have a nice industrial grade rheo to control 50 watts these use less I think and the RPMs will be nice a low

I bought the fans all at a price less then 10 bucks a piece bulk so saved a lot there usually these are in the 15-20 range

pedastal is a nice option I chose to actually make my case exhaust out the top which works great in terms of positive pressure, and I will be filtering slightly to keep pet hair out.

oh

DID I MENTION I am a liquid cooling newbie

any flaws in either my master plan or my current plan of action.

I know where the links are just looking for a little more tips.

yes I am nuts when it comes to building big

Xtreme Mentor
    Just a useful bit of acoustic information. If you take a sound of lets say 10 case fans you double the decibel level. Its a fact for anything.

already tested these fans out in the case and the db levels are good no extraneous sounds and no vibrations

Xtreme Member
    Nice idea! Personally, I like your choice of fans! Luckily you have more than enough case to handle all that equipment. Be sure to keep us up on how things go with the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by armeniandave View Post
    It takes a lot of work to make something look simple!
    Understatement of the year!!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Discounts or no that's a ton of money spent with no 980x! Maybe go 920 until the cheaper 32nm later this year? 970?

This is mb/cpu/gpu all on 1 loop. 1 pa120.3 and 3 s-flex F's. 480's are really hot but I don't believe they are 3x 360 rad worth, are you getting 3 of them? (if so maybe 3 rads).

Like you I built an ascension and felt the need to jam it to the brim and fill every slot. I have 22 s-flex's, before that 22 noctuas. I had 3 loops at one time. I don't believe you need a comprehensive exhaust strategy when watercooling. 2 120's out the back is more than enough for me. From my build I've learned that if you decide to watercool everything in your case the need for moving a lot of air inside isn't pressing. If you're doing some hybrid where you wc the cpu and air cool the gpu that's completely different, but in a roomy ascension rads on all intake fans and just 1 or 2 exhaust fans out the back is fine.

Some ascension specific advice, take the front panel off and install everything to just that panel and then attach to frame. Even with its huge size working inside the case gets very tricky. Doing it that way allows you to route your million front fan cables between your drive bays, easy way to toally hide all those cables.

My ascension has the following:
    22 s-flex F
    2x pa120.3, 1x pa120.4
    2 xspc single pump bay res with mcp350/mcp355
    5970+ek block, 5870 + ek block
    gigabyte ud7 + ek block
    980x + ek supreme hf block
    9 ssds, 1 platter drive
    6 bay devices besides the res's: lcd,dvd burner,2 fan controllers,x-fi front panel,multicard reader/usb hub

power is enermax galaxy 1250

After having it run for a couple months I see now I could do with 12 fans and would have gotten only half the bells and whistles and put it all in a mm ufo instead.

Filling an ascension is more work then you think, but it's a good problem to have as problems go.

Good luck.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]= View Post
    Just a useful bit of acoustic information. If you take a sound of lets say 10 case fans you double the decibel level. Its a fact for anything.
    Umm? What?

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    Umm? What?
    If you take a fan that is 30db and you run 10 of those fans the sound level would be 60db roughly. It was an acoustics test I did roughly 10 years ago.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    my math says it would be roughly 40db. you have to double the number of fans for each 3db increase. however, every 10x in acoustic power it will "sound" twice as loud.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have had a lot of fans in one case before. only have 31 in the Drunken Monkey right now, but if I went back to a push/pull setup, it would be a crap load of fans.. running 500-800RPM fans keep noise down, my power supply has been modded, so it is silent now, but the damn DDC 3.25's are LOUD. I have 2.5" accoustic foam above them, and some sound deadening pads all around them, but still very loud. If it was not for the damn pumps, you can hardly tell when the PC is on, or off.
    There are a few 980x's out there for dirt cheap, if you look around the various forums, a lot of people are calling their new 980x's DOA, but the problem is, their BIOS is not new enough to run the 6 cores, and the RMA them.. Risky, but I am happy with mine.
    Email/web browsing PC
    MM Ascension case, 24/7 settings
    Classified, 980x @ 4,525Mhz, HT on 1.39V
    (3) ATI 5870's@ 1062Mhz
    G skill perfect storm RAM s 6gb, 2,176 Mhz CAS 8
    (4) intel x25m RAID 0
    CPU loop, EK supreme HF, EK mobo block, 500MM bitspower res, 2 DDC 3.25's on XSPC top, 2 XSPC RX 360's, 1 XSPC RX 480, GPU loop, EK water blocks, with nickel backs, 2 swiftech mcr 320's, 500MM bitspower res, ddc 3.25, XSPC top all with 1850 RPM gentle typhoons
    plus many other rigs.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    my math says it would be roughly 40db. you have to double the number of fans for each 3db increase. however, every 10x in acoustic power it will "sound" twice as loud.
    That is pretty much my understanding as well. To be clear;
    IF:
    1x = 30dBa
    2x = 33dBa
    4x = 36dBa
    8x = 39dBa
    so on and so on.

GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

I am Xtreme
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Member
    You asked for it... you're crazy!

Xtreme Member
    Well, it's a lot. It's certainly not the most, but it's more than commonly used.

My only real comment is:

Really?

4 triple rads with push/pull 6 fans each (I'm assuming), for a STOCK speed 960 and a single lower-grade GPU?

Way, Way, Way overkill.

So much so that you aren't even beginning to use that much radiator space.

An awful lot of wasted potential (and cash) there. Of course, you'll be pretty much future-proof for quite a while.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Well, it's a lot. It's certainly not the most, but it's more than commonly used.

My only real comment is:

Really?

4 triple rads with push/pull 6 fans each (I'm assuming), for a STOCK speed 960 and a single lower-grade GPU?

Way, Way, Way overkill.

So much so that you aren't even beginning to use that much radiator space.

An awful lot of wasted potential (and cash) there. Of course, you'll be pretty much future-proof for quite a while.
    maybe he is going to solder on the 960 proc to the GPU?
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    maybe he is going to solder on the 960 proc to the GPU?
    Heh, now that would be interesting to see.

It's his money, of course, and he's more than welcome to piss it away however he wants.

I just kind of cringe when I see folks wanting to spend major cash like this.

~550 on a 3.2 ghz 960 as opposed to ~260 on a 2.66 ghz 920 that could be easily oc'd to 4+ ghz with that cooling system. A massively overpowered setup for the rig he's proposing. etc

I don't like to "bad mouth" or criticize anyone for making odd choices (lord knows I've done/tried a LOT of wierd and/or stupid ideas with my machines), but it does seem that a lot of folks trying to get into WC spend more time figuring out how big they can go on the setup and not enough time on the rest of the rig.

Xtreme Member
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    That is pretty much my understanding as well. To be clear;
    IF:
    1x = 30dBa
    2x = 33dBa
    4x = 36dBa
    8x = 39dBa
    so on and so on.
    Yes, every 3dB gain in acoustic output generally requires a doubling of power. So if one were to go from the typical 5 -7 fans in a case to 20-something fans, that would likely be an increase of at least 6dB or even 9dB or more of fan noise at the same RPM, etc.
    Last edited by aztec; 04-22-2010 at 09:25 AM.

AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Heh, now that would be interesting to see.

It's his money, of course, and he's more than welcome to piss it away however he wants.

I just kind of cringe when I see folks wanting to spend major cash like this.

~550 on a 3.2 ghz 960 as opposed to ~260 on a 2.66 ghz 920 that could be easily oc'd to 4+ ghz with that cooling system. A massively overpowered setup for the rig he's proposing. etc

I don't like to "bad mouth" or criticize anyone for making odd choices (lord knows I've done/tried a LOT of wierd and/or stupid ideas with my machines), but it does seem that a lot of folks trying to get into WC spend more time figuring out how big they can go on the setup and not enough time on the rest of the rig.
    Could not agree more. a single 240mm rad would be more than enough for what the OP is looking for (stock speeds and quiet).
    Last edited by Vinas; 04-22-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kone View Post
    Only 27 here

Xtreme Mentor
    First, welcome to xtremesystems! Second, you should do a project log as this will be awesome. You will love the MM case, I personally prefer going horizontal on the MB as it is easier work on IMHO. I have done a triple loop before, GPU's in one, NB/SB and mosfets in another and the CPU on it's own. The MCP355 pump will be enough for each loop and if you are going this big I would do three independent loops, if you can why not, right? Anyway, I would direct the air flow over the rads into the case. That case is big enough to have exhaust ports to let it equalize. Quick disconnects are nice, been using them for about a year and every time I take them out I end up putting them back in. I would consider doing a pump/res combo to make it easier to set up, but I like the T-virus, looks very cool. If you haven't already gotten the 960, I would skip it and either get a 920 or go for the gold and get the 980x, either way you will not be disappointed. I have had the 975, the 960 and the 920 and the 920 will perform as good if not better than the other two unless you are doing extreme cooling. As far as doing a chiller, sure you could, but then you have to either be able to control the water temp or insulate, done that one two and it was fun, but I went back to just water. I would do a phase unit before I would do a water chiller, more compact and and better temps. Like it has already been mentioned, having the front off while installing your gear makes things easier. If you plan on doing SLI with two or three GTX480's, then rethink the PSU, maybe something slightly larger. Better to do it now and not need it then not have it and need it. Install a fitting with three ports towards the bottom of each loop so you can install a drain. I use a QD there so I can just plug in and drain, easy, peasy. The last thing to remember is to have fun with it. Don't be afraid to change things once you get it setup, this is a hobby and should be fun.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.