Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinnee Labs - GTX480 Block Round-Up (working thread)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    I don't know what size those holes are but, as long as it can still pass the volume of a 1/2" I.D. tube, does it really matter what shape they are?
    I measured and calculated the cross section of the watercool connector a while back, and it comes out to a diameter close 6mm ID tubing, i.e. really bad. If you look at the new Watercool 58x0 block you'll see that the corrs sectionw as greatly increased, I don't think Rico did that just for fun, especially since he's talking about the new block being flow optimized (which tests show it is).

The AC block seems to have a cross section at the connector similar to that of the old Watercool blocks.

That small narrowing of cross section can really make a difference as well, if you look at Cathar's testing [URL="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147767"]here[/URL,] you'll see a sizeable difference (close to 10% flow) between push-ins and regular 3/8" barbs, all because the push-ins don't reduce the cross section slightly like the barbs do.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's a shame because it would be so easy to make the cross section bigger and significantly increase flow.

Never go full retard
    XSPC block makes it way to the lab...

Waiting for one more part to arrive from the Egg and testing can finally begin!
    Last edited by skinnee; 03-08-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Xtreme Member
    if its not asking too much can you also do a brief writeup on the ease of mounting of each block, i know some blocks can be a real PITA to mount: requiring, reinforcement plates, back plates, slipping when trying to assemble etc...

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldon View Post
    if its not asking too much can you also do a brief writeup on the ease of mounting of each block, i know some blocks can be a real PITA to mount: requiring, reinforcement plates, back plates, slipping when trying to assemble etc...
    Actually, that is why I am waiting for a part from NewEgg.

I sat down this weekend to video the stock heatsink removal as well as the installation of each block only to discover the webcam I planned on using absolutely sucked for recording the removal and mounts. 720p webcam is en route.

Xtreme Member
    oh epic - cant wait, i kinda watched the video for the installation of the aqua computer block and decided that it was too much effort dealing with a backplate, the DD installation guide was quick and simple so it climbed to the top of my list...

Anyone want to guess the order of performance of the blocks? My money is on the swiftech & dd blocks being the top two performers, with the koolance & ek being close seconds, and that the BP block will be the worst of the lot...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    depending on which temp you will rank them i say the koolance,Aqua and swiftech will come at the top for core temp. As for overall performance, i think it will be between the koolance and the aqua.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground

I am Xtreme
    Skinnee

you getting the ac backplate? i didn't see it in the pics...

**i see a revised version..nevermind

Admin
    It's in this pic:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    Yum...micro-channels. Should perform well, very curious to see the results of this one.
    I hope this one performs very well. Seeing as Aquacomputer is 2nd to the EK in terms of cooling performance (In regards to current 5870 waterblocks), I'm confident they'll do pretty good.

I'm debating whether I should go with EK (even with the issues going around of cards getting shorted) or should I go with Aquacomputer?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    XSPC block makes it way to the lab...

Am I the only one that feels disappointed with XSPC these days? I mean seriously they are supposed to be competing with EK in terms of their GPU blocks but in regards to their 5870 blocks, they are near the bottom. Sure they make great reservoirs and even great CPU blocks but they need to either focus more on improving their GPU blocks or just abandon making GPU blocks altogether.

Whatever the case. I will definitely not be buying the XSPC block unless it miraculously performs EXTREMELY well. -- Am I also the only one that finds it kinda "ugly"? It ain't bad but it's no beauty either.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldon View Post
    Anyone want to guess the order of performance of the blocks? My money is on the swiftech & dd blocks being the top two performers, with the koolance & ek being close seconds, and that the BP block will be the worst of the lot...
    I like guessing games....lemme try

I'm gonna do a performance score though....10 being best, 1 being stock.
    9-10 - Swiftech
    9-10 - Koolance
    9-10 - AquaComputer
    8-9 - EK
    8 - XSPC
    7.5 - DangerDen
    3.5 - Bitspower
    1 - Stock

Skinnee hasn't even put the card on water yet, so I have no insider info and these are purely guesses And these are just core temps, the Swiftech heatpipe design is too much of a curveball for me to begin to predict.

I'm eagerly awaiting the results At the moment, I'm considering either the EK nickel + plexi or the Aquacomputer all nickel version whenever they are released. I like the Danger Den but the weight of the block is a concern and the lack of a backplate. Does anyone know when EK will be releasing their backplate? Watercool are supposed to be releasing their block this week and it's also supposed to be coming with a backplate, so that will be interesting to see. From the look of the blocks, my thoughts would be that aquacomputer, koolance and EK will be the top performers. It's a shame bitspower didn't put more effort into their block design...
    Project: Jane Doe | Project: TYR | Project: Killer Penguin

Project: Killer Penguin 2.0

Lian Li V600FX | ASUS R4G | i7 3820 @ 5Ghz H20 | HD 7970 H20 | Mushkin 16GB Redlines | Intel 330 180GB | Seasonic CP860W Custom Sleeved | Watercooled by Watercool Heatkiller

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey just so you know your links on the first page to each block. Your Koolance link goes to the DD block page.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post

9-10 - Swiftech
    9-10 - Koolance
    9-10 - AquaComputer
    8-9 - EK
    8 - XSPC
    7.5 - DangerDen
    3.5 - Bitspower
    1 - Stock

Skinnee hasn't even put the card on water yet, so I have no insider info and these are purely guesses And these are just core temps, the Swiftech heatpipe design is too much of a curveball for me to begin to predict.
    Lets start a pool!

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    Hey just so you know your links on the first page to each block. Your Koolance link goes to the DD block page.
    Fixed, thanks for reporting!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post

9-10 - Swiftech
    9-10 - Koolance
    9-10 - AquaComputer
    8-9 - EK
    8 - XSPC
    7.5 - DangerDen
    3.5 - Bitspower
    1 - Stock

as per your format:

9-10 - Swiftech
    9-10 - DangerDen
    8-9 - Koolance
    8-9 - EK
    7-9 - AquaComputer (not sure about those inlet holes)
    6 - XSPC
    3.5 - Bitspower
    1 - Stock

I'm hoping that the heatpipe transfers a decent chunk (but not all) of the VRM heat to the block to having the rest is dissipated by the heatsink and as a result offering better core temps.

Xtreme Guru
    Performance in FC vga blocks isn't just about core temps, in my opinion. Mem and vrm's are important, especially when overvolting...

If u want best core temps buy a MCW-80...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity