Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: good GT240 video card deal

Xtreme Cruncher
    *sigh*... i just can't stay away from these little guys. i just bought my 4th one from microcenter for $35 AR.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Addicted!
    is there any performance difference between the gddr3 and gddr5 cards?
    I see you went for the galaxy deal. For $35-$50 you can't beat these cards afaik. 2 of these is very close or same to a gtx 260 and only cost less than $100. A used GTX 260 probably going for around $150; 4130 if your lucky.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    is there any performance difference between the gddr3 and gddr5 cards?
    I see you went for the galaxy deal. For $35-$50 you can't beat these cards afaik. 2 of these is very close or same to a gtx 260 and only cost less than $100. A used GTX 260 probably going for around $150; 4130 if your lucky.
    For gaming, yes, there's a noticeable difference. I don't think GPUgrid will benefit from the increased bandwidth however. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, not 100% sure on this

Xtreme Cruncher
    Anyone tried putting one of these with a 260? Say in a Physx set up that crunches?!?

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    you got it, I just popped my 240 in the physics slot..... I will leave it there for 4 days and will report the results on this experiment.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Slinky View Post
    you got it, I just popped my 240 in the physics slot..... I will leave it there for 4 days and will report the results on this experiment.
    Thanks man, cuz if I don't upgrade to a 4x0 in the next month or so I'll probably pop one of these in. (assuming it all works out.)

Xtreme Cruncher
    physx is also for crunching? i though it was just for gaming. i currently have a gtx260 with a gt240 crunching on the same rig, but they're each doing separate WU's. so how do i set one card for physx? and does that mean both cards will only do one WU for a faster completion?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    physx is also for crunching? i though it was just for gaming. i currently have a gtx260 with a gt240 crunching on the same rig, but they're each doing separate WU's. so how do i set one card for physx? and does that mean both cards will only do one WU for a faster completion?
    He meant he can use his Physx card for crunching as well. Just like you're doing now: All cards crunching a seperate WU. Multiple cards can't do a single WU and Physx is indeed only for games/simulation.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well it looks like putting the 240 as the physx card for the 260GTX was not worth it.
    It did do a little about 1,000 ppd extra, and these are under stock clocks.
    Tonight these are getting separated.

Xtreme Cruncher
    if anyone is interested, there's the evga ($40) and xfx ($47) are a good price right now. i wanna get both, but all the pci-e slots i have are all populated with GPU's . still thinking about getting both anyways lol. the first post was just updated...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    What is the PPD difference between the gddr3 and the gddr5?
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Cruncher
    hard to measure without thorough testing this one variable. my guess is that it's negligible because these WU's don't use a lot of video memory. and also OC'ing the memory on current cards hardly help with the PPD, so i don't think it will matter much. it makes a huge difference in gaming though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Addicted!
    you still getting good #'s on these cards? what are you ppd now?

Xtreme Cruncher
    updated the first post with a few more EVGA card deals.

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    you still getting good #'s on these cards? what are you ppd now?
    yup, still getting about 18k PPD untweaked, and a little more if it's OC'ed and on XP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    You get more points on XP than 7? :o

How about under linux?

Xtreme Cruncher
    just added another good deal at frys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacka View Post
    You get more points on XP than 7? :o

How about under linux?
    yes, using XP will complete the WU a little faster since it can load the GPU at 100% usage, while win7 can only utilize the GPU up to 70% load. this issue is software based, between MS and nvidia drivers.

i have no idea about linux, but i think it's on par with XP, except that you need to dedicated a full CPU thread. not ideal for a small card like this if you also do WCG.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Does that apply to 32 bit xp?

Xtreme Cruncher

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wooow wooow wooow, is there a different way GPUgrid and BOINC calculate points? Or what's the deal? I'm having troubles running my 9800GTX+ + my C2D on F@H so every once in a while i do get a WU in it's about 5.5K points, how does a 240 get 15K??

Xtreme Cruncher
    F@H and gpugrid point system is a little different, but it's still the same idea of distributed computing. you can't directly compare the points. i think the conversion from F@H points to GPUgrid points is roughly 4 times. this would put the 240 at around 4k ppd (anyone have a gt240 on F@H to verify this statement?). generally, the 200 series cards are better crunchers/folders than the older 8000/9000 series cards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Dang, well i'm thinking about a GTX460 down the road, in the winter i'll definitely pick up a cheap 240 or whatever is around at that time for the family PC to heat up the house a bit

Xtreme Cruncher
    gtx460 is just mehh on performance. IMO, gt240 is a good budget cruncher, and the gtx295 is still the big power house. lol don't bother with a gt240 trying to heat your house in the winter. they only pull 38w at 100% load crunching. if you're looking to purposely heat up your house while crunching, 295 and 480 wins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    btw, just bought another gt240 for $30 from newegg haha. it's the one i linked on the first page.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Son of gun!!! Finally visited the GPUGrid forum, i have been owned, i am always saying "out with the old! Move forward!" it seems the 9800GTX+ is listed as "Might work" some WU, maybe, whatever they say, "if not green not recommended to run gpugrid" ahhhh my card should be capable, well complaining won't do anything i guess i need a new card sooner rather than later.

I thought F@H was interfering or something the whole time, my card gets like 1 WU in a month and then "no work from project" I've been stuck at 800K for months
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hey, so the deals on the front seem to be expired.

Anyone know if there are good deals anywhere? I can't seem to find much below $50

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast