Thread: Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 Super Overclock pretesting

One-Eyed Killing Machine

Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 Super Overclock pretesting

For starters let's take a quick look at the card:

I'm stuck at the default GPU Core voltage ( 1.225V ) for the time being ( I'll mod the card after I get some sleep to be ready in case the software fix doesn't come out anytime soon ), so I'm focusing on VGA memory overclocking for now.

First attempt, 3D Mark Vantage @ 950MHz/1400 ( GDDR5-5600 ) artifact-free

Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Nice looking card and that mem is promising.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Max 3D Mark Vantage artifact-free memory overclock:

Max 3D Mark03 clocks with the stock GPU Core Voltage ( 1.2V ), Vddci 1.2V, Vmem 1.63V

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Looking good so far , keep em coming
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Pretty nice Bill. The card looks promising!
    weekend is coming

Xtreme Cruncher
    So the SOC Tuner dont work for gpu Maybe tommorow this card come to me for some action, but without any normal vgpu range this card do nothing. If You can, please share vgpu mod.

Thanks.

Life sometimes gets in the way of what we want to do.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sweet Jeebus Bill, what RAID card are you running? Nice memory clocks to boot.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I'll post the Vmods in a bit, currently finishing the mod tests, not the easiest mods if you don't have a magnifying glass, my eyesight is sharp, but this really put them to the test ( and made me feel tired too ) [ could as well be a normal reaction for my sleep cycle lately, approx 4h30m per 24h ]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    I'll post the Vmods in a bit, currently finishing the mod tests, not the easiest mods if you don't have a magnifying glass, my eyesight is sharp, but this really put them to the test ( and made me feel tired too ) [ could as well be a normal reaction for my sleep cycle lately, approx 4h30m per 24h ]
    Will this impact the card value (is the mod reversible like adding and removing a trim)?
    //RETIRED-o00o--°(_)°--o00o-OVERCLOCKER//

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    There are two ways to mod the card.

1) The usual way with a trimmer connected to the FB pin or a resistor ( the Rb [Feedback resistor] ), which however can trigger OVP, so you'll need to find the OVP mod ( and the OCP mod probably )

2) VID mod, the PWM controller has a resistor network that tells it the VID ( "default voltage" ) for the GPU core.
    You can change the logic ( move resistors ) to change the VID to any voltage you desire according to the VID table of the controller.
    This way you override the OVP, and your only limiting factor will be OCP ( if it kicks in )

Both ways can be reversed, although the VID mod is a hard mod, and you'll need great eyesight and great soldering skills or very good soldering skills and a magnifying glass / station.

Xtreme Addict
    How much heat these small resistors can take from the soldering iron benchzowner? How many Fahrenheit you set your iron?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I'm using 842F to get the job done as fast as possible.
    They can take up to 950F + ( unless you touch them with the iron for 20 seconds for a single soldering )

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    There are two ways to mod the card.

1) The usual way with a trimmer connected to the FB pin or a resistor ( the Rb [Feedback resistor] ), which however can trigger OVP, so you'll need to find the OVP mod ( and the OCP mod probably )

2) VID mod, the PWM controller has a resistor network that tells it the VID ( "default voltage" ) for the GPU core.
    You can change the logic ( move resistors ) to change the VID to any voltage you desire according to the VID table of the controller.
    This way you override the OVP, and your only limiting factor will be OCP ( if it kicks in )

Both ways can be reversed, although the VID mod is a hard mod, and you'll need great eyesight and great soldering skills or very good soldering skills and a magnifying glass / station.
    Make sure you post both the FB pin mod would work wonders for people that only want to bump vcore a bit for air testing.