Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dont get enermax psu's

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Razmatazz View Post
    I had a 4870 X2 go bad after about 14 months. I also had several hard drives go bad over a year. This made me question the PSU. I had a 1000W Ultra X3. I had tested the voltages which seemed to check out fine but I still didn't trust it. I ended up replacing it with a Seasonic X-750 and have been very stable since. I didn't end up opening up the PSU. After seeing the crap that can and does go on at times behind the screen (or PSU case for that matter) I wish I would have looked under the hood while I had the chance. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
    4870x2 is known to not last long...overheating issue
    harddrives are mechanical drives....anything mechanical is meant to fail

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    you recommend "don't get enermax psu's"

jonny guru recommends them....

who should i trust?

i had the enermax1250 with 5yr warranty...twas an ok power supply...
    im just telling peapole about this when it comes down to it most peapole that review things thay normaly get the best of the best or pre relese models so thay wont have anything wrong with them (to me that is) so im not calling jonny guru a liar
    and just to point out he only tests them for volts and max wattage he doesnot use them 24/7 if you know what i meen

plus im not saying ALL of the psu's will be like this what im saying it this mess was done from them and there are loads going round it might be that i have one of models that have been badly made or repaired

in a nut shell if you get a good one it will last forever if you get a bad one you get pi++ed becuse of what you spent on it and to be honnest at the price you wont want dodgy soldering

just emagene you bught a lotus but you got a scooter engin inside come on you WILL be pi++ed
    Last edited by rubber5; 04-19-2010 at 11:34 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you recommend "don't get enermax psu's"

jonny guru recommends them....

who should i trust?

i had the enermax1250 with 5yr warranty...twas an ok power supply...
    What is the point of your post? Enermax PSU's are the most overpriced psu's on the market...yet it seems they do a really messy job sometimes. How is that supposed to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

I am Xtreme
    most overpriced units are from pc power and cooling...

btw pricing is relative..introductory prices are always jacked up...

read the reviews..and awards..they're a good power supply maker...
    http://www.enermaxusa.com/index.php

best 1kw psu imo

@ the egg.

revo85+ its silver rated...and 5yr warranty ...its 235$ after rebate
    oh yeah the 1250w is now 259$ after rebate...

Xtreme Addict
    most overpriced units are from pc power and cooling...

btw pricing is relative..introductory prices are always jacked up...

read the reviews..and awards..they're a good power supply maker...
    http://www.enermaxusa.com/index.php

best 1kw psu imo

@ the egg.

revo85+ its silver rated...and 5yr warranty ...its 235$ after rebate
    oh yeah the 1250w is now 259$ after rebate...
    Look at the pictures that rubber5 has posted. How can you seriously sit there and say that is a decent quality PSU considering the price that they sell it for ?
    Last edited by yngndrw; 04-19-2010 at 11:58 PM.

I am Xtreme
    its the galaxy dxx 1000w...very old psu. eol psu. they have changed alot since then.

Xtreme Member
    one of the biggest things i REALLY HATE about the uk is the really stupid prices
    when i got the enermax psu yeah it cost me £190 but converting it to american that price will have been $380 if im right its just stupid

its like the games for pc's you can get a game for about $40 but here its £40
    in technicle terms i will have to pay $80 for an imported game not including the delivery which can be just as much as what im ordering i f+++ing hate the uk

but thats a different story lol

and i really do hope that enermax has changed there psu's because to be honnest one bitten twice as shy so i wont be bothering thats all im saying

thanks for all your replys

Xtreme Addict
    Enermax PSU's are solid, you just got a lemon....which every manufacturer of every pc component has let through QA since the dawn of the pc. Telling people not to buy Enermax just comes off as a smear campaign and only nabs are going to get your message. There was another thread not long ago, to the tune of 'Don't buy Corsair' and the OP eventually got his arse handed to him by competent users so let's see how this turns out.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've got 2 1250's & have had them apart to have a look. Beautiful precision joints. I don't dispute that you've got a bad one, but like the Rev says..it happens.

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

Xtreme Member
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    I've had an Enermax Infiniti 720 for o/c'ed gaming or crunching BOINC since 2007, using between about 240w to 400w nearly 24/7. It outlasted an ASUS 2900XT GPU that died, and a CPU & RAM upgrade. Last week after 2 yr./10 mo. of use, the PowerGuard comes on with the Red LED and 2 short beeps but it won't power up. Replaced it with a XFX 750W Black Ed. and the rig is up again.

Called Enermax, got a real human on the phone right away. They gave me an RMA # and I'm shipping it back today for warranty replacement. They'll pay return shipping. Can't complain so far.

No other issues with this PSU until now. However, the Infiniti's were pricey when they first came out. I paid $200. for this one, but for 700+ watts at the time, the features, and jonnyguru rating of "10" for Performance (9.5 Overall), you could have done a lot worse.

If I get another couple years out of the replacement unit, that's not a bad deal.
    Last edited by aztec; 04-20-2010 at 07:32 AM.

AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

Xtreme Member
    I still run an Enermax 535-SLI in my iSCSI system. I refused to use the Galaxy models due to their known problems for popping GFCI's. I would build a system for a customer which would have a Galaxy in it, and I would have to switch it out for another brand because their home was wired for GFCI's. The APFC in those things just sucks back too much juice.
    Last edited by LiViD; 04-20-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Antec Three-Hundred :: Silverstone Strider 750W :: Asus P5Q-E :: Q9450 :: 2x2GB OCZ HPC PC2-8500 :: XFX 9800 GX2
    Asus Xonar D2X :: 3x320GB Seagate 7200.10 S-ATA :: 320GB WDC Caviar Blue S-ATA :: LG GSA-H55N :: Dell S2209W

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by LiViD View Post
    I still run an Enermax 535-SLI in my iSCSI system. I refused to use the Galaxy models due to their known problems for popping GFCI's. I would build a system for a customer which would have a Galaxy in it, and I would have to switch it out for another brand because their home was wired for GFCI's. The APFC in those things just sucks back too much juice.
    old galaxy dxx? or new galaxy evo?

the galaxy dxx is eol ....

Xtreme Member
    This was the DXX series, which I know is EOL. Still, it burnt their reputation at being a reputable PSU manufacturer. I've been using Corsair and Silverstone since that fiasco took place and I haven't gone back. Too each their own I guess, but IMHO the cost of their product isn't worth it.

Antec Three-Hundred :: Silverstone Strider 750W :: Asus P5Q-E :: Q9450 :: 2x2GB OCZ HPC PC2-8500 :: XFX 9800 GX2
    Asus Xonar D2X :: 3x320GB Seagate 7200.10 S-ATA :: 320GB WDC Caviar Blue S-ATA :: LG GSA-H55N :: Dell S2209W

Xtreme Member
    well to me it looks like its been the old galexy models that have been messed up
    it looks to me like they have had quite a few of these back for repair
    and i take it thay must have replased tham with the revolution+85

but when it comes down to it i have a cooler master silent pro 850 now so i will see what happens with this one

thanks for all the comments
    i just hope that enermax will lerned by there mistakes and stop it happining from now

Xtreme Addict
    I took a pretty hard look at the pics and although its impossible to judge without good pictures, its looks like its a rework board. There are a couple components that I'd swear look to have been replaced and of course the obvious additions to the board. If I was forced to guess, and I am, I'd say it blew the "F" up and they rebuilt it. Either in testing at the factory of someone got it and smoked it badly.

If that turned out to just be the initial fix on an upcoming revision to the board That is some of the worst rework.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

I am Xtreme
    it was their first 1kw psu..i'm sure they had lots of problems before...they've gotten better after that..

c[_]
    4870x2 is known to not last long...overheating issue
    harddrives are mechanical drives....anything mechanical is meant to fail
    Mine is still going strong, been running it near 24/7/365 since they were retail.

Gets hot for sure but will last fine as long as you treat it properly.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Have been using an Enermax 701 something 600w PSU for over a year pushing an overclocked 720BE and 2 4870s. It is a replacement for 1 that exploded years ago 31 days after purchase so Fry's would not take it back. Swapped it out immediately and figured I'd fix it someday. A year or so later took it apart and it was not a blown cap as I thought but a surface mount something that left a burned spot on the board. Called Enermax and told them what I had done adding "Guess I voided the warranty?" "Nah, we'll take it." was the response. Just had to send them a copy of my receipt.
    When you're dealing with people that work with the public everyday being polite will get you a lot further as they are so used to that "squeaky wheel BS".

Xtreme News & Reviews
    Enermax for life here!

I have a Enermax Liberty 500watt been running for 3.5+ years

Right now powering the computer in my sig. Even has pushed 6 hard drives in RAID while playing games and defragging and voltages don't flex much at all. I paid the money for a great PSU and I got one. I try to stay away from most other PSUs because they are rebadged units.
    Desktop
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 (Quad Unlocked @ 3.4Ghz / 2200Mhz NB)
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P (F9 Bios)
    8GB (4x2GB) @ DDR2-800
    ASUS GeForce GTX 560 Ti DirectCUII (920/1840/2200)
    Corsair Force GT 120GB
    LSI MegaRAID 8408E (3x750 R5)
    Windows 7 x64 SP1

Cisco E2000 with DD-WRT kernel 2.6

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Mine is still going strong, been running it near 24/7/365 since they were retail.

Gets hot for sure but will last fine as long as you treat it properly.
    i'm sure you're not a noob stevil....some are...you prolly have good intake air

Quote Originally Posted by PaganII View Post
    Have been using an Enermax 701 something 600w PSU for over a year pushing an overclocked 720BE and 2 4870s. It is a replacement for 1 that exploded years ago 31 days after purchase so Fry's would not take it back. Swapped it out immediately and figured I'd fix it someday. A year or so later took it apart and it was not a blown cap as I thought but a surface mount something that left a burned spot on the board. Called Enermax and told them what I had done adding "Guess I voided the warranty?" "Nah, we'll take it." was the response. Just had to send them a copy of my receipt.
    When you're dealing with people that work with the public everyday being polite will get you a lot further as they are so used to that "squeaky wheel BS".
    they're forums are also ok...good support imo

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWall View Post
    Enermax for life here!

I have a Enermax Liberty 500watt been running for 3.5+ years

Right now powering the computer in my sig. Even has pushed 6 hard drives in RAID while playing games and defragging and voltages don't flex much at all. I paid the money for a great PSU and I got one. I try to stay away from most other PSUs because they are rebadged units.
    6 drives are crazy for a 500w....

i've had enough of this thread...good luck to you threadstarter...

My Hyper-V\vSphere server (I have two different drives, depending on requirements depends which hypervisor I use) running a Supermicro X7DWA-N with 2 5240's and 64gb of ram have had no issues with the Enermax Galaxy 1000 that's sitting in it, prior to that server it was running my Striker Extreme, Striker 2 Extreme, Rampage Extreme and Black Ops, only reason I had to move it to the Supermicro was the dual cpu plug requirements. It's been a great PSU and I certainly wouldn't be averse to running one again (my current new build has the HX1000 in it).
    Gaming Rig
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5
    1 x i7 950 @ 3.66
    Corsair 800D
    1 x Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    6 GB Corsair DDR3 PC3-1333 @ 9,9,9,24,2T
    Corsair HX1000 PSU
    G19 Keyboard 3.04 drivers
    120gb OCZ Vertex SSD
    BenQ FP241 WS Monitor

Spare
    Black Ops