Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'pump after res' rule

Xtreme Enthusiast

The 'pump after res' rule

There is some sort of the rule, that pump must be after res. But in my case this setup is uncomfortable a little, i would get more simple setup if pump was after rad or waterblock. So how important this, may I ignore this rule at this time? Or you guys highly don't recommend it?
    Last edited by rioja; 04-16-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Intel Xeon W3520 4200MHz HT
    Foxconn Bloodrage
    3x2Gb Patriot Viper II DDR3-1600 6-6-6-16
    MSI GTX480 M2D15 850/1700/2000
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Corsair TX950W
    Stacker 832 w/ Dual Loop Watercooling aka *Bong Build*
    NEC 2690WUXi
    Loop 1: Laing DDC1-T -> Watercool HK 3.0 LT -> Thermochill PA120.3 -> Bloodrage NB -> EK Res 150
    Loop 2: Laing DDC1-T -> EK-FC GTX480 -> Thermochill PA120.2 -> EK Res 150

*New* CM 690 II Advanced Watercooled

*Coming soon* Stacker 832 Rebirth!

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    The reason for the "rule" is because the pumps most commonly used in PC water cooling aren't self-priming pumps, they're gravity fed and must be fully primed prior to turning on. Plumbing the reservoir's outlet to the pump's inlet is the easiest way to insure a good, proper prime. Can things be done in a different order? Well, yeah... but it's usually not something that people will recommend because it complicates the filling and bleeding process.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Guru
    If you want to, you can do a t-line. It is a line that takes the place of the res and you would follow the same rule for the reason Petra described.

The reason why T-lines are not as good as a res is that the can be a bit hard to bleed and don't hold as much extra fluid. The extra fluid really only helps if you get a slow leak or some of your water happens to evaporate over time.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

I am Xtreme
    theres also the effect of pressure and vacuums, before the pump there will be a vacuum, after will be pressured, and it changes between them as the water flows through each restriction (cpu block, radiator and reservoir). to test it you can punch a needle sized hole in the tubing at each area and check if water comes out, or air goes in. with the way a res is built, its generally designed to work best as a vacuum and the pump pulls water out, rather than pushes water in. although i wont test it, it would be cool to see the effect of water flow if you put the pump before it, i cant imagine it would make too much of a difference, but that greatly depends on how much air is in the system, and how flexible the tubing used is. (i am not an engineer and i may have a few things wrong, do not hold me to these details as if i got it from a college textbook, lol)

Xtreme Cruncher
    It also effects the amount of pressure the individual blocks get.
    Since a Res is empty space it eats up the head pressure that gets sent to it.
    When its the end of the loop it doesn't matter how little pressure it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurz View Post

That's it... I give up.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    theres also the effect of pressure and vacuums, before the pump there will be a vacuum, after will be pressured, and it changes between them as the water flows through each restriction (cpu block, radiator and reservoir). to test it you can punch a needle sized hole in the tubing at each area and check if water comes out, or air goes in. with the way a res is built, its generally designed to work best as a vacuum and the pump pulls water out, rather than pushes water in. although i wont test it, it would be cool to see the effect of water flow if you put the pump before it, i cant imagine it would make too much of a difference, but that greatly depends on how much air is in the system, and how flexible the tubing used is. (i am not an engineer and i may have a few things wrong, do not hold me to these details as if i got it from a college textbook, lol)
    In short, it's called cavitation, which pumps don't like very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post

That's it... I give up.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Guru

That's it... I give up.
    It's ok Petra.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

NooB MOD
    Have a cookie
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Legend
    I just love reading explanations of scientific principles in layman's terms

Me? I know nothing about what is best but to date whether I've put the res before the rad or the pump or even after the pump ...the temps stay the same. So with no flow rate measurement etc and only air temps monitored and an external sensor on the pump outlet I can't tell because the difference seems so small

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I just love reading explanations of scientific principles in layman's terms

Me? I know nothing about what is best but to date whether I've put the res before the rad or the pump or even after the pump ...the temps stay the same. So with no flow rate measurement etc and only air temps monitored and an external sensor on the pump outlet I can't tell because the difference seems so small
    It's a closed loop.

Actual positioning isn't going to make a diddly squat of difference in that regards.

The reason for res leading into the pump is simply for ease of filling and bleeding, and to ensure that you don't run your pump dry.

Trying to gravity pour enough liquid into the loop to ensure that the pump is fully supplied with the res in a different place is a pain. Sure it can be done, but it's just a lot more difficult. Hence the recommended res into pump into rest of loop.

quoted from Soulwind: The reason for res leading into the pump is simply for ease of filling and bleeding, and to ensure that you don't run your pump dry.
    That about says it all.

Still chuckling at the image Petra posted.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    so as i understood, it is higly recommended to have a res before the pump
    ok, will try organize such setup

Intel Xeon W3520 4200MHz HT
    Foxconn Bloodrage
    3x2Gb Patriot Viper II DDR3-1600 6-6-6-16
    MSI GTX480 M2D15 850/1700/2000
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Corsair TX950W
    Stacker 832 w/ Dual Loop Watercooling aka *Bong Build*
    NEC 2690WUXi
    Loop 1: Laing DDC1-T -> Watercool HK 3.0 LT -> Thermochill PA120.3 -> Bloodrage NB -> EK Res 150
    Loop 2: Laing DDC1-T -> EK-FC GTX480 -> Thermochill PA120.2 -> EK Res 150

*New* CM 690 II Advanced Watercooled

*Coming soon* Stacker 832 Rebirth!

That's it... I give up.
    U just made my day

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

Xtreme Member
    Let me try to explain the reason for the reservoir before pump "rule", here goes: A Dry Pump = A Dead Pump.

So to avoid killing the pump, you must never, ever run the pump dry. So you always need water flowing into the pump. And that is why you should always mount the pump so that it is gravity fed by the reservoir. Now that is a "should" not a must. I would not recommend this for a n00b, but if you feel you are an experienced water cooler, then by all means, mount the pump anywhere you want, just make sure that you can fill the loop without running the pump dry. This can be accomplished by turning the case upside down, or on its side, or any other creative solution. Just make sure the pump is always fed with water, because contrary to what was said above, centrifugal pumps do not "suck" water, they push it. As such, there is no "vacuum" created at the input of the pump. This is some kind of superstition or fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of our universe that I cannot explain, but it persists, even in this so-called "information age". You would think that google could solve such ignorance, but alas, I am afraid it cannot.

Also head pressure is necessary to overcome restriction in the loop, not the empty space in the reservoir. To say the opposite is to speak nonsense.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    so as i understood, it is higly recommended to have a res before the pump
    ok, will try organize such setup
    do a t line?
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

if the pump is below the waterline of the res it wouldn't matter if its directly after it or not, it would still be gravity fed. so it cant run dry, unless your res is low on water...

correct me if im wrong.
    trying to think of something to put here...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hahaha Petra! Priceless.

As for the question, I dont think its required. Just try to position my res as high in the loop as possible, then you can gravity feed my entire loop without even having to turn my pump on. If you cant get it high enough, placing in before the pump will probably be your next choice.

My last few builds have been with a T-Line as im running out of space. I hate T-Lines and would never recommend them as they are a pain in the @$$ to bleed. Also, if your pump is variable, when you bleed, do so on the lowest setting.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by B_Boy View Post
    if the pump is below the waterline of the res it wouldn't matter if its directly after it or not, it would still be gravity fed. so it cant run dry, unless your res is low on water...

correct me if im wrong.
    You have to worry about bleeding though. You put the rad in between the res and pump, and don't get all the air out of it before you power on the pump, you will push that air bubble threw the pump and the rest of the loop before it gets to the res.

There is another effect if you want to get geeky if you put the pump after the rad your cooling blocks (CPU/GPU) will slightly warmer water and hence lower performance. It is pretty insignificant but it is there

1 litre per minute of water has a heat capacity of 70 W/k i.e. 70 W will warm it by 1 degree. So a 30W heat dump pump will increase the temp of the water by almost 0.5C.

Depends on how extreme you want to go of course and that is well within the error range of most temp sensors.

Numbers from
    Water heat capacity 4180 J/g/K
    1 litre of water = 1 kg
    1 lps = 1/60 lpm

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yes, but who has 1 liter per min flow? 5 liter per min, makes it insignificant.
    Email/web browsing PC
    MM Ascension case, 24/7 settings
    Classified, 980x @ 4,525Mhz, HT on 1.39V
    (3) ATI 5870's@ 1062Mhz
    G skill perfect storm RAM s 6gb, 2,176 Mhz CAS 8
    (4) intel x25m RAID 0
    CPU loop, EK supreme HF, EK mobo block, 500MM bitspower res, 2 DDC 3.25's on XSPC top, 2 XSPC RX 360's, 1 XSPC RX 480, GPU loop, EK water blocks, with nickel backs, 2 swiftech mcr 320's, 500MM bitspower res, ddc 3.25, XSPC top all with 1850 RPM gentle typhoons
    plus many other rigs.

Xtreme Guru
    bobo5195: Often increased restriction&lowered flow because of longer/more difficult&sharper bent tubing to implement them nullifies all possible gains of secondary importance advises like "cpu wb after rad", "pump after all wb-s, but before rad" and alikes .. that's why they are of secondary importance unlike main "res before pump"

Xtreme Addict
    Vapor tested 3 pumps >> rad >> cpu block vs 3 pumps >> cpu block >> rad. The difference was negligible even with 3 pumps 0- 0.2C.

And like Justin said, what pump uses 30W with flow of 1 liter per minute? typically more like 5x that flow and with 18W, ie DDC 3.2, (and not all 18W of that is heat dump in water). Would work out < 0.1C for typical pump/setup, and vapor showed even with 3 pumps (3x heat and much less than 3x flow) barely measurable.

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz View Post

That's it... I give up.
    I gave up long ago... but Kurz actually has a point. If you put a res right after a pump it will create unnecessary pressure drop and I think that is what he is trying to say.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    If you put a res right after a pump it will create unnecessary pressure drop and I think that is what he is trying to say.
    Scott, pressure drop curves have been done for reservoirs and the results were pretty insignificant. My main issue with his comment was with regard to pressure and block performance implications (a pet peeve of mine that I'll be putting together a demonstration of next week).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast