Thread: Intel Confirms Dual-Core Atom Processor for Netbooks. "Why o why Intel"

Xtreme Mentor

Intel Confirms Dual-Core Atom Processor for Netbooks. "Why o why Intel"

"Sales of netbooks, which were growing rapidly in 2008 – 2009 timeframe, are slowing down and Intel Corp.’s revenue associated with Atom processors dropped by nearly one fifth in the Q1 of FY 2010. However, Intel believes that by improving performance of Atom processors the company will catalyze demand for netbooks in future. The only question is whether those devices will be similar to what we know today."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/..._Netbooks.html

Amm ok netbook are a dying race and insted of putting all their efforts in CULV platform they go with a dual atom great plan intel.

I will go as far as saying dual atom ~ single core culv in most app's. If anyone is really interested get a ASUS Eee PC 1201N its also a dual atom geez
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    I will go as far as saying dual atom ~ single core culv in most app's. If anyone is really interested get a ASUS Eee PC 1201N its also a dual atom geez
    And double thre price.

What i hope is, that some oems adopt the queensbay platform for there netbooks. This Platform is far more attractive then the current manlow platform.

Xtreme Mentor
    Single core culv notebooks are not that expensive the dual cores one are

Besides i dont expect the dual atoms netbooks to cost the same as single cores one do today there will be a initial premium by the time prices stabilize sigle core CULV's will be even cheaper since Intel has delayed the new CULV range.

I agree that queensbay platform is better than manlow but CULV platform is better than queensbay unless you req. it for MID's and not netbooks.
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    wake me up when we get desktop performance with cellphone idling power

I am Xtreme
    Na not really, the MSI WIND U200, the Toshiba T110 and the Samsung X210 are more expensive then the Asus 1201.

Also asus is the only provider of a dual core atom netbook, so they can demand what they want.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    wake me up when we get desktop performance with cellphone idling power
    Then good night for ever.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Then good night for ever.
    yeah, yeah, i know. its where we need to be heading though. id really like to see hybrid cpus, where they put an atom core with every i7 or something, and it can shut of the the main cpu and run basic stuff off the atom and instantly turn the main cpu back on in under a second.

its pathetic that my desktop takes 120W from the wall to idle, yet my laptop with its own screen takes just 40W when actually being used. so i might eventually give up on desktops if they get hybrid graphics right. and by right i mean a docking station that has a real pcie port, and i can drop in any desktop gpu i want, and it uses that gpu. i honestly dont see that as being a problem as long as the laptop has enough PCIe lanes in its chipset, which it damn well could.

when are these companies going to stop thinking about milking a market, and start showing us some well deserved innovation.

I am Xtreme
    Thats how business works, there would be many things that would be cool to have and also make sense in a ecological way, like the 3l car. But that would be bad for business, so it will take forever.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Na not really, the MSI WIND U200, the Toshiba T110 and the Samsung X210 are more expensive then the Asus 1201.

Also asus is the only provider of a dual core atom netbook, so they can demand what they want.
    Well really

http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-1201N...1370426&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AS...1370362&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-X340-218US...1370362&sr=1-2

Msi x340 and Acer Aspire 1410 both cheaper than the 1201N
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    Not in europa, i can't this notebooks here with a core2 solo only a dualcore celi/pentium and they are all in the range of 500€.

Again, the price for the 1201 is not really repräsentativ. I can get a normal netbook for under 200€ and with ion for ~300€.

The only thing that comes closes here is the IdeaPad U350 form lenovo for ~400€ (with core2 solo).

Xtreme Member
    Intel took over a year to decide if a dual atom would have a positive impact in the netbook market. Now the interest and excitement late last year for it is gone.

Thuban 1090T @ 3.8Ghz | Corsair H70 | G.Skill DDR3 16GB 1600 Cas9 | Gigabyte 880GMA | HD5870 | Corsair AX750 |
    I7-875K @ 3.6Ghz w/HT on | Corsair H50 | G.Skill DDR3 4GB 1600 Cas6 | Asus Sabertooth | GTX260 | Corsair 850TX |
    Q6600 G0 @ 3.0Ghz | G.Skill DDR2 2x2GB PC8000 | DFI LP JR P45-T2RS | HD3850 | Corsair 620HX |
    E6400 SL9T9 @ 3.0Ghz | G.Skill DDR2 2x1GBHK (4-4-3-5) | Intel Bad Axe v3.06 | X1950PRO | Corsair 550VX |

Xtreme X.I.P.
    makes sense from a business perspective... dualcore atom costs them a lot less to make than culv or even core i5 ulv chips...
    plus there have been a LOT of rumors that intel cant actually get any i5 ulv chips out in reasonable numbers... in recent batches their power consumption has gone slightly up and not down a friend told me... so im not surprised they are pushing dualcore atoms now as a backup plan until sandybridge comes out, sortof...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Isn't this a backpedal by Intel? Wasn't their initial stance on the dual core Atoms that they were not appropriate for use in netbooks?

I am Xtreme
    They should've gone for HT instead imo (edit: ignore this). But 2 cores isn't bad either, just not really necessary perhaps... But heck, even smartphones will get 4 core chips soon!
    Last edited by zalbard; 04-17-2010 at 05:44 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yeah... they did say that at some point...
    intel was kinda embarressed about atom at first and didnt want to talk about it much...
    but then they realized all the money they could make with it and how it fits right into the trend towards mobility and it became one of their favorites

love the avatar btw, blur right?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    They should've gone for HT instead imo. But 2 cores isn't bad either, just not really necessary perhaps...
    hm? doesnt it have ht???
    this is about 2 cores with ht, so 4 threads isnt it?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hm? doesnt it have ht???
    this is about 2 cores with ht, so 4 threads isnt it?
    Lol, yeah, my bad. No idea why the hell I posted that...
    Last edited by zalbard; 04-17-2010 at 05:49 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Dual core CULV smashes Dual Core Atom on the ground. I mean, 45 sec SuperPI for SU4100 and 1.30 min for Atom ... Get lost :P
    ASUS P5E Deluxe X48 | C2Q Q9550@testing[Fuzion v2+MCR320+MCP655] | G.Skill 4x2GB F2-8800CL5D-4GBPQ@testing | Sapphire 4870X2@ testing | 150GB WD VelociRaptor + 2xWD6400AAKS | Chieftec CFT-850-14C | Iiyama E2403WS | Razer DeathAdder | CM CosmosS Black

I am Xtreme
    I think there may be reasons for Intel to keep working on Atom in this way. Maybe they are planning to use the arch elsewhere in the future...
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Enthusiast
    dual core with HT and a REAL integrated memory controler.
    Intel 8700k
    16GB
    Asus z370 Prime
    1080 Ti
    x2 Samsung 850Evo 500GB
    x 1 500 Samsung 860Evo NVME

Swiftech Apogee XL2
    Swiftech MCP35X x2
    Full Cover GPU blocks
    360 x1, 280 x1, 240 x1, 120 x1 Radiators

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
    dual core with HT and a REAL integrated memory controler.
    As friend of mine said - look for CULV - it's a real processor. So, with HT, with integrated mem controler - it won't become a real processor :P
    ASUS P5E Deluxe X48 | C2Q Q9550@testing[Fuzion v2+MCR320+MCP655] | G.Skill 4x2GB F2-8800CL5D-4GBPQ@testing | Sapphire 4870X2@ testing | 150GB WD VelociRaptor + 2xWD6400AAKS | Chieftec CFT-850-14C | Iiyama E2403WS | Razer DeathAdder | CM CosmosS Black

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yepp, thats why i went culv as well...
    higher ipc, lower clocks... but it ocs to 2ghz, just like the atom cpus

if an app is properly multi threadded, i think a dualcore atom with ht at 2ghz can beat a culv 1.4ghz chip... maybe it doesnt even need 2ghz... BUT... lets face it, most apps use one core... so what you need is at least one high ipc core, and thats why culv wins...

Xtreme Addict
    BUT... lets face it, most apps use one core... so what you need is at least one high ipc core, and thats why culv wins...
    Even if most of the programs are single threaded (which is not exactly true these days), there is one important thing which makes multicore cpu indispensable - multitasking. I have a netbook and I can not say I'm satisfied with its performance when multiple programs are running simultaneously (separately, they work quite fast and the netbook has 2 GB of memory).
    You can guess why Apple does not want to allow multitasking for iPad.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    Even if most of the programs are single threaded (which is not exactly true these days)
    so you are saying most apps today are multi threadded?

there is one important thing which makes multicore cpu indispensable - multitasking.
    all you need for that is 2 cores...
    i have yet to feel or see a difference in my day to day pc usage between 2 and 4 cores... some games get a few extra fps, yeah... but thats about it...

I have a netbook and I can not say I'm satisfied with its performance when multiple programs are running simultaneously (separately, they work quite fast and the netbook has 2 GB of memory).
    did you just use netbook and fast in the same sentence? :P
    the only thing thats fast on a netbook is browsing windows... and even there you run into slow downs already depending on what you do :P
    they are fast for the size and weight and cost and power they consume... but id never call an atom system FAST... neva!!!! :P

Xtreme Addict
    so you are saying most apps today are multi threadded?
    yes, they are. just look into "process explorer" and you will see that even a trivial apps (such as firefox or skype) launch tens of threads. Not all these threads are active all the time, others don't consume too much cpu time, but still...

all you need for that is 2 cores...
    i have yet to feel or see a difference in my day to day pc usage between 2 and 4 cores... some games get a few extra fps, yeah... but thats about it...
    You're right, but CULV still can't match Atom in terms of power consumption. So if those new dual-core atoms consumes the same power as old single core variants, they will be welcomed.

did you just use netbook and fast in the same sentence? :P
    the only thing thats fast on a netbook is browsing windows... and even there you run into slow downs already depending on what you do :P
    they are fast for the size and weight and cost and power they consume... but id never call an atom system FAST... neva!!!! :P
    Well... Browsing is fast (even with multiple tabs), opening/scrolling docs in OpenOffice is relative fast, opening/scrolling pdfs is also fast, skyping is fast, antivirus is fast also. All these things together are slow...
    Last edited by kl0012; 04-17-2010 at 06:47 PM.