Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fourth Dimension Gaming

Xtreme Addict

Fourth Dimension Gaming

http://marctenbosch.com/miegakure/
    The 4th dimension is a physical movement of the 3rd = spacetime
    This game is about exploring the consequences of being able to move in four spatial dimensions. It plays like a regular three-dimensional platformer, but at the press of a button one of the dimensions is exchanged with the fourth dimension, allowing for four-dimensional movement.
    In mathematics the fourth dimension, or a four-dimensional space, is an abstract concept, obtained by taking the rules of our three-dimensional space and generalizing them to a space with one more dimension. It has been studied by mathematicians and philosophers for almost two hundred years, both for its own interest and for the insights it offered into mathematics and related fields.

Algebraically it is generated by applying the rules of vectors and coordinate geometry to a space with four dimensions. In particular a vector with four elements (a 4-tuple) can be used to represent a position in four-dimensional space. The space is a Euclidean space, so has a metric and norm, and so all directions are treated as the same: the additional dimension is indistinguishable from the other three.

The fourth dimension in this space was sometimes interpreted as time, but this is no longer done in modern physics. In the last century spacetime was developed, which unifies space and time but with a different metric so the time dimension is treated differently from Euclidean space. The resulting space is a Minkowski space and is usually studied separately from the space described
    HENCE THE EXPRESSION "TIME FLY'S" Anymore Q's.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 04-14-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Xtreme Member

From what school told me the fourth dimension in this space was sometimes interpreted as time.

Liked the animation on the site, would like to see some videos of the game in action.
    Last edited by Sgt.McRuff; 04-14-2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Motherboard: GigaByte P67UD4 f6 | CPU: Intel 2500k 4.5ghz 1.26v | Memory: GSkill 2x4gb @ 1600mhz 1.34v | PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W | Video: AMD 6970 Koolance water block 880c/1450mem 1.035v | HDD: WD 640gb cavier black: VelociRaptor 300gb: Intel x-25 g2 80gb | Sound: Asus xonar D1 | OS: W7 64bit

Steak for Breakfast
    That looks extremely like this "3D" game
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/511754

Xtreme Mentor
    I've been ever so confused about how the 4th dimension worked until I just read the OPs simple explanation.

So how does the 5th dimention work? 6th? 8th??? 12th????^"&^%$"£" 250th??????

Stop making my brain implode, I hate dimensions

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For 6D check out www.naturalpoint.com and their TrackIR hardware....
    Last edited by Afterburner; 04-14-2010 at 06:20 PM.
    | Intel Core i5 2500K | Asrock P67 Extreme 6 | Gskill Ripjaws 8GB CL7 |

| Sapphire HD6970 | Creative X-Fi modded | Corsair HX850 | Corsair H60 |

Xtreme Addict
    No.
    Can't just talk balls and re-write science.

4D is an extrusion of 3D. It's not time (rly) and nor is it a games control interface.

Go watch some carl sagan, marctenbosh

Xtreme Addict
    If treated as a object it can be manipulated.

In 1993 the physicist Gerard 't Hooft put forward the holographic principle, which explains that the information about an extra dimension is visible as a curvature in a spacetime with one fewer dimensions. For example, holograms are three-dimensional pictures placed on a two-dimensional surface, which gives the image a curvature when the observer moves. Similarly, in general relativity, the fourth dimension is manifested in observable three dimensions as the curvature of path of a moving infinitesimal (test) particle. Hooft has speculated that the fifth dimension is really the spacetime fabric.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 04-14-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hm, some of you need to learn about tesseracts it seems... click me!

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    hey sure, scientists/mathematicians struggle to explain it but im sure they can crank out a $60 xbox game about it.
    right.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme X.I.P.
    what does that game have to do with 4d?
    nothing at all...

Xtreme Addict
    The game will show off movement in a 4d environment.

Also:

buildingSMART ME has reported a marked increase in the use of 3D models across the region. It is therefore not surprising that 4D CAD is increasingly being used to support construction planning.

Adding ‘time’ facilitates the natural progression from 3D to 4D. This article examines how the wider potential of 4D process and technology can be realised by proper integration into a collaborative BIM environment.

It is already well understood that linking elements from a 3D model to activities in planning tools can create a space and time (4D) model. This helps the planner visually link task to workplace thereby facilitating the creation of a logical construction sequence.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 04-14-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Ummmm.... Dimensions
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmui View Post
    fourth dimension isn't time... In this case, the fourth dimension is a theoretical extra spatial dimension

Basic concept with 1 dimension to 2 dimensions

In a one dimensional world,

_ _ _

Left _ can't see the right _ because of the middle _.

Assuming they can't overlap each other, the only way to move the _ to the right side would be to have it leave the 1 dimensional line like so, creating a 2 dimensional space

-_ _ and move over to the right to give _ _ - and then move down to give _ _ _

To a theoretical someone who lived on the first dimension, it would appear as if the original left _ disappeared and (assuming this person can see through the right _) reappeared to the right of the right _ by some sort of magic (known to us as the second dimension).

Good luck understanding that going from 3D to 4D
    I posted this in the other thread in the PC gaming section.

4th Dimension is NOT time in this case, it's an extra spacial dimension.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    I've been ever so confused about how the 4th dimension worked until I just read the OPs simple explanation.

So how does the 5th dimention work? 6th? 8th??? 12th????^"&^%$"£" 250th??????

Stop making my brain implode, I hate dimensions
    String theory predicts as many as 26 spatial dimensions for our universe.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This seems weird, but might be something to keep an eye on.
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    The game will show off movement in a 4d environment.
    where?
    all i see is 3d blocks and some walls can be passed if you "switch to the other dimension"

that has nothing to do with the 4th dimension though... thats a very old scifi hippie impression of further dimensions, being able to walk through walls etc...

Xtreme Addict
    A Nano wall

In a 3d environment everything is not really 3d such as background objects,they are flat(2d) images,the sky etc.Which takes away from realism,In order to build a totally 3d environment you need a extra dimension or space.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 04-15-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    not impossible to imagine, but the game has very little to do with physics from what i can see :P

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    where?
    all i see is 3d blocks and some walls can be passed if you "switch to the other dimension"

that has nothing to do with the 4th dimension though... thats a very old scifi hippie impression of further dimensions, being able to walk through walls etc...
    look up the word tesseract, its a cube in the 4th spatial dimension. Time is not the 4th spatial dimension. And as it looks the game refers to the 4th spatial dimension.

Xtreme Member
    Looks a bit like the old Soul Reaver games.

thats not a bad thing mind you
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

Xtreme Addict
    Space = the equation of object's being moved = Time = the calculation of object's being moved = spacetime

Einstein showed that if time and space is measured using electromagnetic phenomena (like light bouncing between mirrors) then due to the constancy of the speed of light, time and space become mathematically entangled together in a certain way (called Minkowski space) which in turn results in Lorentz transformation and in entanglement of all other important derivative physical quantities (like energy, momentum, mass, force, etc) in a certain 4-vectorial way (see special relativity for more details).

Xtreme Addict
    you know what time it is, kids?
    Its gramer nazi tiem!!1!111

"TIME FLY'S"
    's is either posessive or the short form of is/has; proper conjugation of
    the verb "fly" is flies.

If treated as a object
    an object

In a 3d environment everything is not really 3d such as background objects,they are flat(2d) images,the sky etc.Which takes away from realism,In order to build a totally 3d environment you need a extra dimension or space.
    use the SPACE_BAR after each "," or "."
    Also, this is nonsense. A 3D envirenment can be interpreted as 2D if you
    look at it from just one point of view. But add another, and you'll also have
    depth.

of object's being moved
    object's being moved
    objects.

Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R

Xtreme Enthusiast
    *environment.
    Conroe E6420 @ 3.3ghz at the moment.
    DFI Dark P965
    2gb Geil DDR800 4-4-4-12
    8800GTS 512mb
    1.7TB Storage
    CM Stacker

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Ummmm.... Dimensions
    That's the best vid ever to try and imagine higher dimensions
    Its not overkill if it works.

Xtreme Addict
    @ Frank M ,I See traveling back to the 1st grade has made you forget how to spell,lol (jk).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast