Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fourth Dimension Gaming

I am Xtreme
    again, your are refering to the 4th physical dimension while the game refers to the 4th mathematical dimension.

Xtreme Addict
    You cant have one without the other,do something and tell me that time(the mathematical calculation of the physical world)didn't pass.

I am Xtreme
    Yes you can, in the mathematical sense you can have 4,5,6 dimensional objects without time. Cause you don't need the dimension of time to describe such objects. The idea of n-Dimensions is way older then the 4D aka. spacetime defined by einstein.

The wikipedia articel is quite informative on that matter and also clearly splits between the mathematical meaning of dimensions and the physical meaning of dimensions.

edit: http://www.dimensions-math.org/Dim_CH1_E.htm

I found this in a quick search about how to explain dimensions and i think its quite good.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Yes you can, in the mathematical sense you can have 4,5,6 dimensional objects without time. Cause you don't need the dimension of time to describe such objects.
    That will always remain on paper and never executed because when executed it will then become a physical manifestation of the mathematical equation = before and after or present then past and from that we get future.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    I've been ever so confused about how the 4th dimension worked until I just read the OPs simple explanation.

So how does the 5th dimention work? 6th? 8th??? 12th????^"&^%$"£" 250th??????

Stop making my brain implode, I hate dimensions
    if this helps give you any better idea, my math professor said the crossproduct of 2 vectors not only works very well in 3 dimensions, but also 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    That will always remain on paper and never executed because when executed it will then become a physical manifestation of the mathematical equation = before and after or present then past and from that we get future.
    You've not really got the right idea, here.

Xtreme Addict
    He said the 4th 5th and 6th can be calculated without time,and 4,5,6 is the physical(3rd) being moved(space) calculated(4th spatial) results are the state before the action took place,the action taking place and the result of that action(4th time).
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 04-15-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    He said the 4th 5th and 6th can be calculated without time,and 4,5,6 is the physical(3rd) being moved(space) calculated(4th spatial) results are the state before the action took place,the action taking place and the result of that action(4th time) alternate results run parallel.
    You do not need time to mathematically define any number of dimensions you like. From what I gather, this game relies solely on 4 spatial dimensions to work.

Xtreme Addict
    When trying to render the scene is when time comes in to play.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 04-15-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I don't get this. Is it like a 3rd dimension object that gets "3rd dimensioned" again? More clarifications?
    Team XS: xs4s.org

I am Xtreme
    When trying to render the scene is when time comes in to play.
    You still don't get it.. by your own defenition mario would be a 3D game (2 spatial dimensions + time dimension) and crysis a 4D (3 spatial dimensions and time dimension) game.

But yet everyone agrees mario is a 2D game and crysis a 3D game. The defintion of how many dimensions a game has is soley based on the space the game takes place in.

Xtreme Addict
    Mario moves in 2 directions only,crysis moves in 3d,but all objects are not displayed in 3d. Even w/3d glasses the sky would be a 2d image.It seems everyone is saying time does not exist,time is what pushes the one dimension to the next. It resides in the fourth because of the dimensions it has.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 04-16-2010 at 06:52 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Heres some more info I found on the 4D tesseract:

http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~explora...fe/emily-2007/

So if you unfold a tesseract, you get a 3D flat cube like model but made up of 8 cubes.
    Wow, those students look to be early teenagers.

Those 6d objects look like windows screen savers. No idea what the 5th, 6th, 7th, etc dimension are though.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

I am Xtreme
    Mario moves in 2 directions only,crysis moves in 3d,but all objects are not displayed in 3d. Even w/3d glasses the sky would be a 2d image.It seems everyone is saying time does not exist,time is what pushes the one dimension to the next. It resides in the fourth because of the dimensions it has.
    It doesn't matter that they are not displyed in 3d they are represented by a 2D projection or intersection but still are 3D objects none the less. Again time is irrelevant for the concept of mathematical/geometrical nD space.

You still don't acknowledge the fact, that 4D space (mathematical) is different form Spacetime (4D in physics).

Thats why i stop here cause its pointless to discuss this any further.

Xtreme Addict
    Math represents physics,objects are equations of physics and moving objects are calculations of physics.Once a objects is moved(space) the calculations(TIME) will change.

Xtreme Member
    xkcd has something to say about this:

Alt text: "Also, I apologize for the time I climbed down into your world and everyone freaked out about the lesbian orgy overseen by a priest."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123