Thread: Suggest a Fully Modular power supply for me

Xtreme Member

Suggest a Fully Modular power supply for me

I have a Corsair HX1000W at the moment and would like to sleeve it but I've seen the bulbous amounts of heatshrink that are involved around where the wires come out.

I need something of comparable performance but that is fully modular.

Thanks!

Noob Overclocker
    I would think almost any PSU you change to after that HX1000W is downgrading, but anyway, i quite like the 1000W Silverstone SST-ST1000-P. Fully modular and it doesnt do too badly at johnnyguru.
    Zombie Killer Corsair 700D with Quad Rad mod+240 rad mod/Asus Maximus III Formula/i5 750 @ 4Ghz/8GB GSkill Trident/HIS HD 6990/Dell u2711/120GB Kingston SSD Now!/All under EK watercooling goodness!
    HTPC Lian Li V354B/i5 750/4GB Corsair/MSI HD5770/60GB GSkill Phoenix/Corsair H50/EVGA P55 Micro SLi

fully modular, only ULTRA x3 line, that rings the bell
    Raidmax ATOMIC - Core i7 3770s + Corsair H70 // Gigabyte H77N WIFI // Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 2133mhz // EVGA GTX1060 ACX2.0// Kingston SUV400 480Gb // Sharkoon SFX500L

I second the 1000W Silverstone SST-ST1000-P suggestion.

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Yes the silverstone... It was on sale at Tiger Direct plus you can get 8% cash back if you use Bing.... Just a thought...
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

But that Silverstone PSU has those big 'ol capacitor things on the ends of the PCI-E cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky1 View Post
    But that Silverstone PSU has those big 'ol capacitor things on the ends of the PCI-E cables.

Umm u mean the actual connectors that you need to use? You have choices for the PCI wires 6 or 8 pin..
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Aedubber View Post
    Umm u mean the actual connectors that you need to use? You have choices for the PCI wires 6 or 8 pin..
    No, I mean these:

is there any reason for these capacitors? i usually make my own cables for modular supplies, and just picked up a st85f-p. it has these capacitors as well. do i need to add these to my new cables, or can i just get rid of them? my only thoughts are that the caps are there to prevent a surge of power at start up. why they didn't make that internal puzzles me...

Xtreme Design
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGoodCat View Post
    is there any reason for these capacitors? i usually make my own cables for modular supplies, and just picked up a st85f-p. it has these capacitors as well. do i need to add these to my new cables, or can i just get rid of them? my only thoughts are that the caps are there to prevent a surge of power at start up. why they didn't make that internal puzzles me...
    You can get rid of them, they are just there to reduce electrical noise. In a silent media center PC they are a godsend--my Corsair HX620 buzzes like crazy and since there is no other noise to cover it it is annoying.

For you rig you can take them out.
    -------------------------------
    Not From Concentrate
    All Projects
    Previous Projects:
    S3 Mini ITX Chassis
    The ArK
    Uriel
    Israfel
    Veritas
    Eldritch

Xtreme Guru
    From fully modular PSUs i'm currently thinking about Corsair AX1200. Stable voltages, gold efficiency, full modular cables, nice black looks. Pitty that nothing said about quietness of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by NFC View Post
    You can get rid of them, they are just there to reduce electrical noise. In a silent media center PC they are a godsend--my Corsair HX620 buzzes like crazy and since there is no other noise to cover it it is annoying.

Ah ha, makes sense. thanks NFC. i am almost tempted to reuse them and splice them in to my new cables but we'll see. do they have to be so close to the connector that plugs into the videocard? or could i put them more toward the end that plugs into the psu? they look very awkward and bulky when dangling on the vid card. if i could hide them toward the psu i'd be more tempted to include em. but as you said i probably won't notice their absence, especially with my 5.1 cranked up, haha...

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    From fully modular PSUs i'm currently thinking about Corsair AX1200. Stable voltages, gold efficiency, full modular cables, nice black looks. Pitty that nothing said about quietness of fans.
    well the higher efficiency will lead to less heat, which in turn should result in less fan speed and thus less noise. and its got a 140mm fan to reduce db's per cfm even more. i got the st85f-p and its got a 140mm fan. she ran near silent when i benched my new build but i have yet to put it under load, i just wanted to make sure everything worked before i swapped to wc. you could always open her up and do a fan transplant if its too loud. did that on my old st60f and boy did it help

Xtreme Design
    A minor thing to think about too (while we are comparing the two) is that the Silverstone is MUCH easier to sleeve for whatever reason. Corsair PSUs are a and a half. I was using them exclusively until someone on these boards recommended I try the SS, and the cables just pull out like dandelion seeds with Nils' tool.

This shouldn't be the only reason you base your decision on, but I thought I would mention it.

And I know you said you are looking for fully modular PSUs, but if you are going to make your own wires anyways, I _highly_ recommend the Coolermaster ULTIMATE. The performance is outstanding and all that, but it is extremely easy to sleeve, comes with long cables so you only have to subtract, not add, and the wiring it uses is extremely flexible.

I void warranties on all my PSUs so I'm biased in that region. =P
    Last edited by NFC; 08-29-2010 at 12:25 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Not From Concentrate
    All Projects
    Previous Projects:
    S3 Mini ITX Chassis
    The ArK
    Uriel
    Israfel
    Veritas
    Eldritch

Xtreme Member
    I just ordered the new Gold rated Corsair AX1200 Full Modular Planning on sleeving I will let you know

Xtreme Member
    The good thing about fully modulaire PSU is that you don't need to touch the wire from the box, you just buy cable, pin and new plug and make a new one (and your warranty is still there)

Xtreme Guru
    Some modular PSUs have very non standart-ish connectors on PSU side for wires.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by slotrod View Post
    I just ordered the new Gold rated Corsair AX1200 Full Modular Planning on sleeving I will let you know
    I just got my AX1200. Just wait to see the new cables, You don't need to sleeve them. All 12v cables are sleeved really nicely with a natural dark color. You don't get those stupid rainbow colors on the end of 24 pin ATX power either, it's all black.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Here's a review by JonnyGuru on the AX1200 (Review)

Looks to be a dead set stunner!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NFC View Post

Id be careful about that!

Johnnyguru did that on the antec quatro 1200 and got dips as big as the grand canyon in the regulation!

Quote Originally Posted by Ced-G60 View Post
    The good thing about fully modulaire PSU is that you don't need to touch the wire from the box, you just buy cable, pin and new plug and make a new one (and your warranty is still there)
    that's exactly what i do. so easy and looks so nice when everything is made to length. just remember "continuity is your friend!"

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Some modular PSUs have very non standart-ish connectors on PSU side for wires.
    when this happens i just take note how the connectors are used (which wires go where) and then reuse that connector with my new cables...

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_Seraphi View Post
    Id be careful about that!

Johnnyguru did that on the antec quatro 1200 and got dips as big as the grand canyon in the regulation!
    thank you, good to know. i think i'll play it safe and splice them in. i think i'll try putting them toward the psu (since its hiddenish) rather than at the end of the cable by the vid card. i don't think i would affect anything...