Thread: Any indigo xtreme veterans around? (maybe speedfan problem)

Xtreme Enthusiast

Any indigo xtreme veterans around? (maybe speedfan problem)

So I tore down my 3 loops today to install 980+indigo and consolidate to 2 loops. The computer is tore apart and didn't feel like messing with my 8-ssd r0 array, so I installed w7 on a x25-v just to get up and running.

My problem is speedfan which I was going to use for reflow seems way off on the sensors, showing all cores idling at under 10c. Other temp programs like real temp show cores idle in 20s and load in high 30s. Do I just go by real temp and not have the pretty graph like the reflow video? Do I set an offset in speedfan?

Pretty cool side note as I didn't want to mess with a bunch of stuff, I just put everything on one loop to do the reflow with a 360 and 3 s-flex f's I'm at 37c full 12 thread load at 3.5ghz with a mcp350->ek mb->ek supr hf->ek fc5870. Seems like really good temp to me.

Every other time I've installed windows with this hardware (920 instead of 980x) all temp programs have been nearly identical, any ideas?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
    So I tore down my 3 loops today to install 980+indigo and consolidate to 2 loops. The computer is tore apart and didn't feel like messing with my 8-ssd r0 array, so I installed w7 on a x25-v just to get up and running.

My problem is speedfan which I was going to use for reflow seems way off on the sensors, showing all cores idling at under 10c. Other temp programs like real temp show cores idle in 20s and load in high 30s. Do I just go by real temp and not have the pretty graph like the reflow video? Do I set an offset in speedfan?

Pretty cool side note as I didn't want to mess with a bunch of stuff, I just put everything on one loop to do the reflow with a 360 and 3 s-flex f's I'm at 37c full 12 thread load at 3.5ghz with a mcp350->ek mb->ek supr hf->ek fc5870. Seems like really good temp to me.

Every other time I've installed windows with this hardware (920 instead of 980x) all temp programs have been nearly identical, any ideas?

Thanks.
    I used Linx and Realtemp temps on my 975 when I did the re-flow and it worked fine (I even sacrificed one of my flows just to see what it looked like because I was curious). When you do the reflow it will be obvious if its working or not. You'll get that big spike, then the big drop and then it will work its way back up to 90C or so. That is when you kick on your pump(s) for the CPU loop and let it cool it down.
    i7 975 EE @4.27GHZ / 2 x HD5970 @980MHZ/1300MHZ
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 x SLI / 6GB Kingston DDR3 2000MHZ RAM
    1500 Watt Silverstone Strider PS / 8X Bluray/DVD Burner
    2 x 160GB Intel X25-M Gen2 SSDs / 2TB WD HD
    Windows 7 64bit

Water Cooling - 1 Loop:
    Swiftech Apogee XT / Koolance Mosfet+VReg / 2 x EK Nickel-Acetal 5970 in series
    2 x Black Ice GTX360 / 1 x Black Ice GTX480 Radiators
    2 x D5 Pumps + EK Dual Top
    20 x Yate Loon 2200RPM Fans Push/Pull

Xtreme Addict
    To reflow with your pumps off you really need to just wait for about 1-1.5 minute(s) and everything will be done. Just load up the system, fire up Prime95 and crank it to run on all cores/threads and then unplug your pumps. Time about 60-90 seconds, then reconnect the pumps and you should be done.

I will be doing the reflow on my 980 shortly and will be using my FC5 to turn the pump on and off so I don't need to worry about unplugging it and then plugging it in. I just hope its worth all this extra work vs using a normal TIM.
    New Rig in Development
    Current Rig: i7 950 (HK 3.0 CU Block) : ASUS WS (Koolance Blocks) : eVGA 295 GTX CO-OP (Swiftech Full card Block) : 6GB Corsair Dominator XMP memory : Highpoint 4320 raid card : 4x 128Gb SuperTalent MasterDrive SX's (Raid 0) - OS : 2x 300GB WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Caching Drive : D5 pump with Bitpower top running to 360 rad for CPU & MB : MCP355 with XPSC Res Top to 120mm rad for GPU

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I keep putting it off, don't want to screw it up, 10 bux a pop!

I hear that, last time I said screw it amd just used my MX-2 with the 950 rig, but after all the coin being spent on the new rig I figured why cheap out on the TIM with the 980x. After seeing what needs to be done it does seem a bit much, so I hope it goes smooth as I would hate to have to uninstall the WB as I will have to drain the loop to do that.
    New Rig in Development
    Current Rig: i7 950 (HK 3.0 CU Block) : ASUS WS (Koolance Blocks) : eVGA 295 GTX CO-OP (Swiftech Full card Block) : 6GB Corsair Dominator XMP memory : Highpoint 4320 raid card : 4x 128Gb SuperTalent MasterDrive SX's (Raid 0) - OS : 2x 300GB WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Caching Drive : D5 pump with Bitpower top running to 360 rad for CPU & MB : MCP355 with XPSC Res Top to 120mm rad for GPU

Xtreme Member
    you wont screw it up. just follow the procedure/instructions and you cant go wrong
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masska View Post
    you wont screw it up. just follow the procedure/instructions and you cant go wrong
    haha ive wasted my first 2 tries..

Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    haha ive wasted my first 2 tries..
    Can you tell us what went wrong? Maybe it will help us avoid the same mistakes/issues. I hate the idea of tearing apart my loop because of screing up the reflow let alone screwing up more than once
    New Rig in Development

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm by no means an expert... It took me running my cpu throttled @ 100C for ~30 seconds to melt the IX. After around 30 seconds I BSOD'd and there was a funny melting smell. I was kinda worried, a quick restart and everything was fine and my temps were ~50c under load. I wouldn't recommend this 'technique' but it worked ok in the end.
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Addict
    It's easier than it sounds.

First time went swell for me.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mine didn't melt, no idea what I did wrong. cpu at 100+c for 10 minutes I'm not going longer than that. Back to mx-3 for me 20 bux out the window. Fittings on top of block are too hot to touch etc, perfectly centered on chip.

Edit: I lied second application seems to have worked after all I think first one It wasn't stuck to the cpu well enough. temps slightly better going to oc now and check.

Edit2:

It's probably my fault somehow as others have had success, but I followed the directions/video as best a person can I think. I don't know what more I could have done, it just doesn't melt, going to pull the second one off now but I'll bet it's not melted.

Gob of mx-3 will have to do for me.
    Last edited by mbreslin; 04-21-2010 at 08:10 PM.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    first one was my fault wasted because old cpu didnt work and i didnt test it with as5.. so that one was wasted. then next one was with first time using qx6700 and i tightned too much.. and wouldnt boot thought it was bios error.. so. fail. im just really impacient and fail because i am so..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    with a gob of mx3:

When I took the second indigo application off it seemed to have sort of flowed but very very thin. Maybe I tightened too much like the poster above. Who knows, I'll not be messing with it again.