Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For gaming: 120Hz TN or 60Hz IPS ?

Xtreme Member

For gaming: 120Hz TN or 60Hz IPS ?

Well, I'm looking to replace my HP w2207h with something bigger and Full HD. After much consideration, I've come down to two monitors: the Acer GD245HQ (120Hz TN - 345€) and the HP ZR24w (60Hz H-IPS - 430€). Considering the main use will be gaming, I'm leaning towards the Acer...

What do you think? Is there anything better out there at decent prices?
    Last edited by RSC; 04-12-2010 at 06:42 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Go for 120HZ TN if that's just gaming you're looking forward to, totally worth it. Much better response time.
    Plus you can use 3D in the future.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Once you go IPS you can't go back. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Go for 120HZ TN if that's just gaming you're looking forward to, totally worth it. Much better response time.
    Plus you can use 3D in the future.
    Yeah, that was pretty much my reasoning too. I'm just trying to find some feedback on the LG W2363D to decide between that one or the Acer I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
    Once you go IPS you can't go back. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this
    What IPS based screen do you recommend for gamming? Cause I haven't been able to found one at a decent price...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm sorry mate, but this just doesn't work like that. I have an IPS an, althought I love every single bit of it its not good enough for gaming, specially for online gaming...and this is why I will probably change it for a 120hz TN. Why? Like I said...for online gaming you don't want a uber quality panel, but a damn fast one. All the other stuff is not important.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

Well how big can you go? If you want the speed, but love the IQ of the IPS, there is only one solution...

42" Panasonic Plasma
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

c[_]
    Whats in the Toshiba Regza line? I'm loving my 46, though it does band blacks slightly if you bump the gamma up.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by prava View Post
    I'm sorry mate, but this just doesn't work like that. I have an IPS an, althought I love every single bit of it its not good enough for gaming, specially for online gaming...and this is why I will probably change it for a 120hz TN. Why? Like I said...for online gaming you don't want a uber quality panel, but a damn fast one. All the other stuff is not important.
    ^^This.

It depends a lot on the kind of games you play. A "cheap" IPS panel won't be fast enough for fast-paced gaming (FPS, racing, etc.).

If you're more of a RTS, RPG gamer and so on you'll be better with an IPS screen, though.

Edit: belo avatar, RSC. Seu nick tem relação com "Racing Sim Central"?
    Last edited by Caparroz; 04-12-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

I only mentioned 42" because they don't make them smaller

A 24-30" Plasma would be amazing for a PC gamer but they don't exist...most likely due to economic forces making them less competitive at those sizes.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    Go for the HP w/o a doubt. The input lag is nearly non existent.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?...post1035575043

What do you guys think about led tv's? my self im in the marked for a $1000 gaming monitor. And regarding to the respons time, the Samsung UE32B6050 LED is down to 5ms i think. At least the LCD modells are so fast. One downside is that its just 100hz.
    My Hardware:
    -Silverstone TJO7
    -Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer
    -Core i7 960
    -EVEGA GTX 295 co-op
    -Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB
    -Corsair DOMINATOR Airflow Fan
    -Corsair HX 1000W PSU
    -1*Intel X25-M SSD 80GB (Windows 7 Ultimate)
    -4*WD Caviar Black 1TB

My Watercooling:
    -Aquacomputer Aquastream XT
    -Black Ice SR1 480
    -Watercool HK CPU LGA1366 Rev. 3
    -EK Water Block EK-FC295 GTX
    -EK-Multioption RES 150 Rev 2
    -Arctic Cooling MX-3 Ultra Thermal Compound

----------------------------------------------------

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Logitrust View Post
    What do you guys think about led tv's? my self im in the marked for a $1000 gaming monitor. And regarding to the respons time, the Samsung UE32B6050 LED is down to 5ms i think. At least the LCD modells are so fast. One downside is that its just 100hz.
    Response time is a meaningless value. Input lag is what you need to know. However it is a value that manufacturers do not publish.

Xtreme Member
    I'm fricking tired of hearing about this lame response time and input lag, you are trying to measure such small numbers that you cannot notice them with your naked eye!

Quote Originally Posted by prava View Post
    Which IPS do you have? S-IPS? E-IPS? Model?

I currently have a Dell U2410 and there is nothing out there I've used that can bring me better satisfaction while playing any games. And I've used quite a few of TN panels with the "2ms gtg" response times and very low input lag. Simply, it all comes down to how GOOD the games look on an IPS screen, the colors, the brightness, the contrast is just incomparable to the TN screens, period.

Xtreme Addict
    cant you guys get Plasma? regardless how high 120Hz or 200Hz, they're still yet to reach the Plasma level

the only disadvantage of Plasmas is the viewing in very bright area like office, and burn-in (unless if you're gaming tetris for straight 1 week)

I think the acer could be a good buy for you mate.

Xtreme Addict
    If you want the best monitor for gaming you should get plazma TV
    better black level , 0.1ms response time , very clear and sharp picture and more...
    just check the panasonic G15 or G25 plazma TVs .
    Gaming rig;
    ASUS RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION
    I7-4390K
    G.SKILL Trident X 16GB 2400
    Intel 530 240GB
    2x Asus GTX780
    Corsair AX1200
    HP ZR30w 30
    Win 8.1 pro
    Sound rig;
    Auzen X-Fi H.T. HD --> Yulong D100 MKII --> D-7100

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wragh View Post
    I think the acer could be a good buy for you mate.
    I ended up ordering it. It should arrive this week. When it does I will post some feedback.

c[_]
    I'm fricking tired of hearing about this lame response time and input lag, you are trying to measure such small numbers that you cannot notice them with your naked eye!

I currently have a Dell U2410 and there is nothing out there I've used that can bring me better satisfaction while playing any games. And I've used quite a few of TN panels with the "2ms gtg" response times and very low input lag. Simply, it all comes down to how GOOD the games look on an IPS screen, the colors, the brightness, the contrast is just incomparable to the TN screens, period.
    Input lag is easily visible with the naked eye if you have a display that you can turn an option on/off that makes a marked effect on it.

For example is my Toshiba Regza 46". With game mode off, everything feels laggy. By turning game mode on while playing a game you can instantly SEE and feel the effect it is so pronounced.

Is game mode perfect on this TV? No, but with some tweaking to the display colors/gamma/contrast/brightness/etc its back to where it should be... hate how game mode makes everything look like crap on tv's Guess thats fine for console people though, haha

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Well yeah, there are panels out there that are terrible, I was referring mostly to the top IPS panels, specifically the U2410. I don'r see myself dropping that for any TN panel, ever.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Dell 2005FPW, but that doesn't matter. At all. Like I said, if you are serious about gaming, contrast, colour, brightness and all that stuff just doesn't matter at all! You want the fastest possible screen and, if you are not going to a CRT, you just have one option: a 120hz one. Thats it: and this is not about your opinion nor my opinion, these are facts (when playing online we don't lower all the details just for fun...but in order to have a flat FPS all the time).
    If you don't agree with me, is because you just haven't played with a CRT @ 100hz. Then you will realize that for serious gaming all TFT's are crap, laggy and all other stuff...except the 120hz (that are the ones that get closer to a CRT than any other TFT).

And, again, I know what means using an S-IPS in my everyday life, and I don't regret it at all: I ing love it. But I also can tell you that when, for one reason or the other, I have to swith to my good old CRT and I play at 100hz for some time then I just can't look at my TFT anymore, until I get used to its blurry image again.

This is like talking about input lag and vsync: If you don't feel that the game is laggy when turning vsync on its not because there is not, its because you can't feel it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

Quote Originally Posted by Logitrust View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    cant you guys get Plasma? regardless how high 120Hz or 200Hz, they're still yet to reach the Plasma level

the only disadvantage of Plasmas is the viewing in very bright area like office, and burn-in (unless if you're gaming tetris for straight 1 week)
    Quote Originally Posted by koc View Post
    If you want the best monitor for gaming you should get plazma TV
    better black level , 0.1ms response time , very clear and sharp picture and more...
    just check the panasonic G15 or G25 plazma TVs .
    QFT...much, much better use of $1000 than an LCD TV. Plus the viewing angles on the LEDs are terrible.

I've seen the newer Panasonic Plasmas in a bright office building. It's a bank that has glass windows for walls, and they look fine.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    QFT...much, much better use of $1000 than an LCD TV. Plus the viewing angles on the LEDs are terrible.

I've seen the newer Panasonic Plasmas in a bright office building. It's a bank that has glass windows for walls, and they look fine.
    So what you are saying is that plastma is the way to go? The picture/contrasts on the LED's are mutch better on the demo-wall in the stores, compared with the LCD, i think.

Somone correct me if I am wrong here, but the input lag merged with the output lag = response time?

I have about 1.5 to 2 m reading distance, to choose this to go for television (hdmi) (plastma, LCD, LED) instead of a computer monitor in terms of inches to what you get for a budget of about $ 1000 here in Norway. A thing with plastma, guess that burning the cells with a lot of static images in O.S.(win.) etc...

Noob Q from me, but what does QFT stand for? :P
    Last edited by Logitrust; 04-15-2010 at 04:36 AM.
    My Hardware:
    -Silverstone TJO7
    -Core i7 960
    -EVEGA GTX 295 co-op
    -Corsair HX 1000W PSU
    -4*WD Caviar Black 1TB

My Watercooling:
    -Black Ice SR1 480

Xtreme Member
    QFT is "quoted for truth"

SLC
    120hz if you want things to actually be smooth, no question about it. If you do not notice the lag of 60hz then you will be fine with the IPS...

ok. il def. go for 120hz, for the future and not least the ability to 3D. tnx
    My Hardware:
    -Silverstone TJO7
    -Core i7 960
    -EVEGA GTX 295 co-op
    -Corsair HX 1000W PSU
    -4*WD Caviar Black 1TB

My Watercooling:
    -Black Ice SR1 480

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast