Thread: MCW80 and GTX470 issues

Xtreme Member

MCW80 and GTX470 issues

I'm back and in need of help again. After the last fiasco I was able to correct that problem with a simple fix but ran into another set of problems. First was that the board wouldn't POST but that's because I tightened down the Vreg block to much, a few turns of the screws later I'm up and running.

Now that I'm up I check the BIOS for temps: 19C on the cpu, 25C on the NB. Great, cpu is cool and the NB seems cool as well.

After just a few minutes I notice the 470 fan starts spooling up(all while displaying the BIOS screen). The fan ramps up and I'm thinking something is wrong. I turn it off and remove one card. Restarted and again, just about 4 minutes in the fan on the 470 starts spinning up to 100%.

At this point I think I must have incorrectly mounted the MCW80 and removed it from the card. I notice that there is no thermal paste on the block, and the card is just as I left it(evenly spread). So I'm thinking a quick remount(with just one card) would do the trick. I reapply thermal paste and remount the block. I make sure I dont over tighten the block and cause warping so I finger tighten the block down. SAME THING! 4 minutes before the gpu fan goes crazy. And the back side of the 470 is really warm as well.

I've tried booting into Parted Magic to try to monitor temps, but the fan ramps up too quick and I think I'm going to overheat the card.

Can anyone think of what I should try next? My best guess is the block isnt making good contact, anyway to verify this?
    Wish I could get this build up and running, I'm disappointed in my skills as a computer enthusiast.
    Mah Rig:

i7 970 @ 4.4Ghz
    6GB Gelid Perfect Storm
    Gigabyte UD5 Rev 2
    128GB Corsair Nova SSD
    Evga 470
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Corsair 1KW HX
    Custom Liquid Cooling:
    PA 120.4
    EK Supreme HF
    Aquacomputer 470 block
    Swiftech M35x w/top

Detailed pictures are worth a thousand words

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quadrapole View Post
    detailed pictures are worth a thousand words
    >9000
    Last edited by NKrader; 06-02-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Xtreme Member
    It is worth to note that there is a tiny gap between the waterblock base and a convex part of the mounting holes of the stock cooler, therefore, any universal waterblock with totally flat base may be incompatible with the stock heatsink:
    Last edited by Factotum; 06-03-2010 at 01:08 AM.

Xtreme Member
    See it would have been really nice to know that before buying these blocks. Guess I'm gonna have to grind off these nubs. I think I'll remove it from the PCB first.
    Mah Rig:

i7 970 @ 4.4Ghz
    6GB Gelid Perfect Storm
    Gigabyte UD5 Rev 2
    128GB Corsair Nova SSD
    Evga 470
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Corsair 1KW HX
    Custom Liquid Cooling:
    PA 120.4
    EK Supreme HF
    Aquacomputer 470 block
    Swiftech M35x w/top

Xtreme Member
    what numbs the srews?
    Coolermaster:
    PC Specs.
    AMD FX-60,Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE,Nvidia Gefroce 8800gts running SLI, 4 Gigs of Corsair Ram, Coolermaster HAF Case,Coolermaster 850w Real Power Pro PS,Harddrives out the ass,Water Cooled CPU/GPUs

Xtreme Member
    These nubs:

Mah Rig:

i7 970 @ 4.4Ghz
    6GB Gelid Perfect Storm
    Gigabyte UD5 Rev 2
    128GB Corsair Nova SSD
    Evga 470
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Corsair 1KW HX
    Custom Liquid Cooling:
    PA 120.4
    EK Supreme HF
    Aquacomputer 470 block
    Swiftech M35x w/top

Xtreme Member
    mcw60 would not have this problem

Xtreme Addict
    possible to get flatter screws?
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Member
    just carve the heatsink a little on the side. atleast it wont void your warrenty
    Coolermaster:
    PC Specs.
    AMD FX-60,Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE,Nvidia Gefroce 8800gts running SLI, 4 Gigs of Corsair Ram, Coolermaster HAF Case,Coolermaster 850w Real Power Pro PS,Harddrives out the ass,Water Cooled CPU/GPUs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fbmbirds View Post
    just carve the heatsink a little on the side. atleast it wont void your warrenty
    Yeah something has to give, I'm thinking the 470's heatsink plate will be the victim.

If I can grind those threads down flush I think the MCW80's will fit but still also maintain enough depth for the stock heat-pipped heatsink.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.
    Mah Rig:

i7 970 @ 4.4Ghz
    6GB Gelid Perfect Storm
    Gigabyte UD5 Rev 2
    128GB Corsair Nova SSD
    Evga 470
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Corsair 1KW HX
    Custom Liquid Cooling:
    PA 120.4
    EK Supreme HF
    Aquacomputer 470 block
    Swiftech M35x w/top

Xtreme Addict
    Do you absolutely need to have that screw in place? What does it hold? I'd consider just taking the screw out.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    yea if you can take it out vs grinding it off. that would be your best bet. warrenty still good right? you have evga 470?
    Coolermaster:
    PC Specs.