Thread: Torturing secure chips to steal, hackers learn from overclockers

Xtreme Enthusiast

Torturing secure chips to steal, hackers learn from overclockers

Most of us when overclocking aim for stability. Hackers aim for instability by under-volting sensitive chips, which leads to incomplete ciphers which potentially exposes the secret key. This can even be accomplished remotely!

Read on:

Torturing the Secret out of a Secure Chip

Forget about webservers, this has huge potential for things like consoles and mobile devices.
    Last edited by damha; 04-09-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    In the remake of WARGAMES RIPLY was under c02,and JOSHUA was trying to get in but couldn't so they cracked the glass to raise the temp and then they got a post screen,JOSHUA was in.

Banned
    look at the article date, then ask yourself if darwininean awards is something you apsire too

Xtreme Addict
    ohhh april fool's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DosDuoNo View Post
    look at the article date, then ask yourself if darwininean awards is something you apsire too
    I could ask you the same thing, but with proper spelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    ohhh april fool's

This is proper research that has taken months. IEEE doesn't do april fools. Welcome to the academic world, where jokes are not funny and people get hurt.

April fools is for IT geeks who want to impress their other geek friends.
    Last edited by damha; 04-09-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I did read in the news paper about a hacker who slowed a encryption chip by starving it "low vcore" and could decode info/code but that was old news.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Foooled.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by damha View Post
    Welcome to the academic world, where jokes are not funny and people get hurt.

April fools is for IT geeks who want to impress their other geek friends.
    Welcome to XtremeSystems, where it's possible to make a point and defend your position without being an obnoxious twat.

Getting back on topic, I read this earlier on Endgadget, article date March 9th. Not a Fools.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Addict
    Turn error reporting off...There all done!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    Foooled.

agreed....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Even if real, I guess the second page got missed by the OP.....from the second page:

Real-world Web servers—even overheated or overclocked ones—are not going to reliably kick out the calculation errors by the thousands required for an attack.

An attacker would effectively need to have physical access to a system to make this attack work, Kocher says. ”For a Web server, you don’t let in any bad guy who wants to come in and play with the power supply,” he says. ”You keep it behind locked doors for reasons that go far beyond just this kind of attack. Practical consequences for Web servers I would say are pretty slim.”

University of Massachusetts professor of computer science Kevin Fu says he doubts that the attack, which was staged in a lab with an easily manipulated crypto chip, could easily be executed by real-world hackers.

”In order for this attack to work in practice, the adversary needs to have access to...the electricity to a specific pin on a chip,” Fu says. ”There’s a big difference between a power outage of a building and controlling precise micropower fluctuations.”

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I am glad I am not responsible for people's ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Welcome to XtremeSystems, where it's possible to make a point and defend your position without being an obnoxious twat.

I tried, that was as polite as I could make it. Believe me I had other words prepared but I managed to restrain myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Humminn55 View Post
    Even if real, I guess the second page got missed by the OP.....from the second page:
    Didn't miss it, the claim was made by the hackers and refuted by others therefore it is a theory nevertheless. Until someone succeeds it will remain a theory I guess!
    Last edited by damha; 04-09-2010 at 01:58 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'll admit I only read the first paragraph of the article. But some hackers DO actually starve some chips for voltage to cause errors that can sometimes allow you to dump the contents of the chip's stored data. So while the article may or may not have any truth/lies in it, there is some small truth in it. If I remember correctly someone a few months ago was able to rip the firmware data from one of the game consoles that hasn't been able to be hacked in years by starving it for voltage and resetting the CPU.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Watch the language, don't now about you but that's extremely offensive where I come from.
    CPU: Intel 2500k (4.8ghz)
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 PRO
    GPU: HIS 6950 flashed to Asus 6970 (1000/1400) under water
    Sound: Corsair SP2500 with X-Fi
    Storage: Intel X-25M g2 160GB + 1x1TB f1
    Case: Sivlerstone Raven RV02
    PSU: Corsair HX850
    Cooling: Custom loop: EK Supreme HF, EK 6970
    Screens: BenQ XL2410T 120hz

Help for Heroes

Moral Police
    Everyone stop being butthurt and focus on the news article.

Genuine article, not april fools, stop whining, discuss it or get out.

YouTube Addict
    short version. ty hardware doesn't perform to spec when everything isn't perfect. God damn sloppy hardware developers; you damn well will not see that sort of mistake from companies like Intel and AMD
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    This applies to reverse engineering micro-controllers that are secured against a logic analyzer, not complex computer processor architectures.