Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: G18 Destroyer bios

Same here, I tried the G18 and can't go past 230MHz. I'm going back to P16 for now. That kinda sucks, oh well. I'm sure it'll get better with time. Thanks for all your hard work LordTrident. I've been ghosting here for a while, and haven't joined till recently. You're doing us all a huge favor. Thanks.

After a lot of testing, I can 100% confirm that there's a hard FSB wall around 230MHz with any BIOS newer than P16. After some benchmarking, it also appears that increasing the NB Multi (added in later BIOS) has no discernible effect on performance.

Given the increasing number of issues with the GXX series BIOS, my recommendation would be to run P16 until a stable GXX BIOS is released.

The P16 BIOS fixes the following issues with the GXX series BIOS:
    1. P-States work correctly (CPU Multi doesn't get stuck at 4X).
    2. CPU VID works correctly (Doesn't over-volt certain chips).
    3. Cool & Quiet works as expected.
    4. FSB clockspeed can scale beyond 230MHz.

Known issues with the P16 BIOS
    1. FSB resets to 200MHz when resuming from S3 Sleep Mode.
    2. AMD-V only turns on with overclocking disabled.
    3. No Northbridge Multiplier control (doesn't effect performance anyway).

Work-arounds for known issues with the P16 BIOS
    1. Use S4 hibernation instead of S3 sleep (It will take slightly longer to resume, but at least your overclock will stay).
    -- Change power state from "S3" to "S1" in the BIOS.
    -- Boot into Windows and open the control panel.
    -- Open "Hardware and Sound" and then "Power Options."
    -- Click "Change Plan Settings" for the active power plan.
    -- Change "Put the computer to sleep" to "Never"
    -- Click "Change Advanced power settings"
    -- Expand the "Sleep" section.
    -- Make sure "Sleep after" is set to "Never," and "Hibernate after" is set to "40 minutes"
    -- Click ok, save changes, you're all done!

2. There's no ideal solution for this, besides disable your overclock when you want to use AMD-V.
    -- You can attempt to overclock from within Windows using FOX-ONE, which might allow you to overclock and keep AMD-V enabled at the same time.

3. Increasing the Northbridge clockspeed didn't actually seem to have any effect on performance. No huge loss.

@ Lord Trident:
    Is another BIOS update planned for the Destroyer to fix these issues with G18? Also, you mentioned you would add Phenom II X6 support a while ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Trident View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leapo
    Yeah, support for AMD's new 6-core CPUs would be awesome as well. Several other AM2+ motherboards have already gotten BIOS updates to support them.
    have reported and hope to have a new bios , about new amd well if the chipset can support then yes we do a bios
    Well, other motherboards using the same chipset as the Destroyer have been updated to support Phenom II X6, so when can we expect the promised update for the destroyer?

Xtreme Member
    I can confirm also, anything past 230 does not allow me to boot into windows, and i have team xtreem 1200mhz ram that does 1300mhz, and i cant even use them .

I think im going to sell this board and go back to asus, Foxconn has been such a dissapointment they cant even get a bios right, and now its A EOL motherboard, With no 6 core support wtf.
    Maximus Gene-z crazy little board.

Sanousie probably has the right idea... I've already started shopping Asus and MSI motherboards.

Unless a proper BIOS shows up at some point, then this motherboard is (for all intents and purposes) defective. As such, I would attempt to seek a refund from Foxconn themselves before selling this thing off to someone else.

Xtreme Member
    the board is not defected the old bios is fine so go back tot he old G bios or use the P bios that the release which is fine
    all am2+ cpu are support am3 cpu some are supported but the new 6core is not.

and the other reseaon you not got another bios is people have piss me off and you know who you are.
    and what the reason you think you get a refund

the board is not defected the old bios is fine so go back tot he old G bios or use the P bios that the release which is fine
    The old BIOS all have known bugs. They are not "fine."

Not all of the Destroyer's features work correctly with any available BIOS, which (currently) makes it defective.

all am2+ cpu are support am3 cpu some are supported but the new 6core is not.
    The new 6core is AM2+ compatible. AMD has been toting its ability to run in AM2+ motherboards in all of their press releases.

Allow me to quote AMD again:
    "If the mainboard manufacturer stuck to the correct pin layouts for the CPU Socket and didn't implement their own off the books features, the X6s should work in ALL AM2+ boards with a BIOS update. The BIOS would just need to contain a micro-code update."
    And you yourself said this in the G16 BIOS thread:
    Yeah, support for AMD's new 6-core CPUs would be awesome as well. Several other AM2+ motherboards have already gotten BIOS updates to support them.
    about new amd well if the chipset can support then yes we do a bios
    You said that if the chipset supported it, the 6core's would be supported.

So, are you going back on your word, or was AM2+ not implemented correctly on the Destroyer?

and the other reseaon you not got another bios is people have piss me off and you know who you are.
    That's a little petty, don't you think?

and what the reason you think you get a refund
    We deserve a refund because Foxconn sold us a motherboard that has never, and (since you aren't giving us any new BIOS) will never work correctly.

Xtreme Member
    no you do not deserve a refund
    the board at the time of EOL supported all cpu released so you have no right.

yes am petty but as you like to think you know it all.

well i said if we could do it i get us to do it well am so sorry i can not get us to do it
    as you have no idea how much work it is and no it not a microcode up date
    they a whole new tubomode then the bios must have and no the bios person has not got time
    but if you dont want that support then you may find the board boot with the cpu

but as you dont have what the problem
    and as you all said you sell the board and dropping us then i dont care
    so think about it all the winning and cry is getting you know were

and i have a lot of other board that need there bug fixed as well
    so we may fix, we may put in the support but at the moment it no and no

so i say again go back to t he old bios that works for you as you have said g16 worked.

and i say again i dont have to support and you lucky i do
    it not my job and that is that.

so if you keep you moth shut and stop crying then yes i may push again till then no

Xtreme Member
    to the other try turn off the amd V that was turn on after p16 you may find this is killing you speed

and remember beta never said to be stable so you take a chance when using

no you do not deserve a refund
    As I said before; not all of the Destroyer's features work correctly with any available BIOS, which (currently) makes it defective.

Selling a known-defective product has some serious legal consequences. You're lucking I'm only asking for a refund.

the board at the time of EOL supported all cpu released so you have no right.
    I'm not asking for a refund on the grounds of CPU support (though a case could be made for that as well).

I'm seeking a refund because the least-buggy BIOS so far (P16) still has issues with sleep mode and AMD-V, and it's sounding like we'll never see those issues fixed.

well i said if we could do it i get us to do it well am so sorry i can not get us to do it
    as you have no idea how much work it is and no it not a microcode up date
    they a whole new tubomode then the bios must have and no the bios person has not got time
    I think we can live without turbo mode. It's not being implemented on some AM2+ motherboards from other manufacturers either.

but if you dont want that support then you may find the board boot with the cpu
    Are you saying that the Destroyer will, in fact, boot with a 6core installed? With the correct clockspeed and voltage applied?

If you could confirm that, I think a lot of us would be pretty happy.

as you all said you sell the board and dropping us then i dont care
    If you can fix the issues we've all been experiencing then I'll keep the board.

The Destroyer's hardware capabilities are awesome, I would hate to have to give it up because of BIOS issues.

so i say again go back to t he old bios that works for you as you have said g16 worked.
    It was P16, actually. All of the G-series BIOS's have had even worse bugs than P16

to the other try turn off the amd V that was turn on after p16 you may find this is killing you speed
    Thanks! I'll give that a try!

Edit: Sorry, it didn't work. Even with AMD-V disabled, every BIOS newer than P16 can't get past 230MHz FSB .
    Last edited by Leapo; 04-20-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Trident, We are not trying to piss you off, Thats not our intention, its just abit frustrating that All the bioses have some sort of bug, im still on the g16 bios, i like it, i just dont like the fact i cant go past 230mhz, Dont get us wrong we appreciate all the work you have put into getting all the g bios up and running, but we just posting some feedback on the issues, and they are issues which im sure can be fixed.

Atleast please try to get a bios out that supports the 6 core processor, if we dont get turbo mode im sure no one would complain, turbo mode is nothing to overclockers. Again thankyou for all your hard work, dont take what we say the wrong way.

Xtreme Member
    right i've just looked and you lot do not help
    as i can not work out what the problem is

i want a clean list saying what wrong with the latest beta
    not saying " this worked with that bios and not this but works with that " its waste my time

so if you want fix you will say what is wrong with the latest and i do not want wish list as this what caused all the problem
    as the bios before the wish list worked and you did not need

thank you

and by the way when did i every promise stuff so dont say i promised
    i say i try and that is it
    if you dont like well that your problem not mine as i say i did not promise anything i just try to do stuff for you guy so get that in you heads
    Last edited by Lord Trident; 04-20-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Trident fair enough, Everyone is gettings a 230fsb wall, i have amd-v disabled and i still get 230fsb wall, I have a 955 BE, I dont know what more to say. I have CnQ disabled, it seems everyone gets the 230fsb even with this version of the bios, im using the g16, im happy with it, just a couple of little things. If you can fix this would be greatly appreciated, Also i noticed, HT multiplier is always stuck on 10x no matter what you use if its 11x or 12x , but anything under 10x it works?

G18 Bios - Issues

On my 955 BE -- Cool & Quiet MUST be enabled or I boot at 800MHz -- the multi is stuck on 4 if C&Q is disabled on my board.
    Virtualization and Amd-V are broke. Tried all possible combinations and both Amd (Version 1 and 2) and Microsoft's tools tell me that hardware virtualization is disabled in the bios.
    The FSB is ALL SCREWED UP ...
    I have posted detailed info on the previous page on issues with this bios.

Xtreme Member
    latest bios fix the AMD-v which i seen working so i say you got a diffrent problem or you not try the latest bios

G18 Bios

I'm on the G18 -
    Both Virtualization and Amd-V are enabled
    The attached snip of will show that both AMD's and also Microsoft's tools detect that neither one is enabled.
    If you look close at the bios date in cpuz, its 04-08-2010 - That's the date of the G18
    Please see the attached shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G18NoAMD-V-Anything.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	103443  

Xtreme Member
    then tell me what cpu and hardware you got as i've seen it working fine
    plus what bios setting you got
    as it something else that broken that and untill you show me what i can not help as i said it working fine on my bench

The 955 BE
    -@200x18.5
    -NB @2600
    -8Gigs DDR2 @5-5-5-15

Name:	Frank-CPU-Z.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	103444  

Xtreme Member
    try not over clocking the cpu and have everything at default see if that works or not
    Plus what bios setting you using as well

Still No good on the Defaults

Lord Trident:

Not sure what additional settings you're asking for so just let me know if you want anything specific. The Voltages that I use at 3700 other than what you can see above are CPU HT 1.320 Volts & 1.220 Volts on the chipset.

I just set everything back to the defaults -- All clocks & voltages except for my ram which is at 2.1v (1066 Ram and needs 2.0 - 2.1). The results at my stock cpu speed of 3200 for virtualization and Amd-V are exactly the same as above. Both tools still report that they are not enabled.

Xtreme Member
    what other option or hardware you got in your machine
    i dont just mean voltages it could be boot order of hardisk or anything

but the 955 is fine for me so unless your cpu is broken then i do not know what else to try

First things First - Thanks Lord Trident for the conversation and trying to help all of us with this Destroyer stuff.

Before going any further -- allow me to simply "talk out loud" about various issues that I and others have ran into with this bios.

As far as what I have tested and can absolutely verify:
    - The 19x multi is "Broken" --- At far as my situation goes ( Pls see Post #7)
    - The FSB is crazy --- Once again -- Please have a look at my post #12
    --- To re-cap what I get on my board with my 955 with the fsb is this:
    - Setting to 201 -- I get 200 --- No effect what-so-ever (Cpuz says 200)
    - Setting at 202, 203, 204 & 205 all come up at 203
    - Setting 206, 207 & 208 all come up at 206
    - Anything other than a 200 setting on the fsb on "My Board" results in the board waking up back at 200 from an S3 Resume.
    With that and the posts from Leopo and others, lets assume that the fsb is whacked.
    While I do not push my fsb anywhere near what others do, I'm simply trying to point out that each of us have various issues with the fsb - and each of us may have a completely different experience depending on their Cpu. Perhaps it may even vary from one 955 to another ??? I have no idea and am only "talking out loud".
    OK -- Moving along:
    - I have to keep Cool & Quiet enabled or I boot at 800MHz (the Multi is locked at 4) - I cannot help but acknowledge Leopo yet one more time for his work around as far as that goes.

As far as my 'other hardware' - here's what I got:
    - Two Nvidia Based GTX 275s in SLI in the two Pcie x16 Slots
    - An Adaptec Raid Card (1430SA Host Raid) in the 1st Pcie x8 slot between them
    - The bottom Pcie slot has an Auzentech Bravura sound card (Pcie x1)
    - The 2 SSDs and currently 6 Hard Drives make up the rest
    - Plenty of Juice -- Power is by a 1200 Watt BFG Tech PSU (Note - they had 2 available when I bought mine -- one crappy one -- and the other the good one that was highly reviewed). I have the "Good One".

- The boot order / hard drive stuff
    The way my machine (His name is "Frank") boots is illustrated in the attached shot. I've edited the 'sides' with all the info that I can think of.

-- As far as the possibility of my cpu being broke -- believe me, if that were the case I would know. All the cores are alive - all show activity - all good.

-- So - Trident (Hope you don't mind that - You do have a sense of humor I hope) ... "Frank" & I say thanks again - Please have a look at my drive map (Had to Kill the quality for the sake of size) and the 'Liner Notes' that I put in:

Name:	FranksDrivesEdited50.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	103465  

Foot notes to above

Just some other settings:

The "CPU and NB HT Width" is set to 16x Down & 16x Up
    The "CPU & NB HT Speed" is on 13x

Forgot where they are but that's how they read - they're on two different bios pages.

The thing about Virtualization and Amd-V not working (Once again - On my board at least - with my 955) is still what I experience. I only checked that recently as I think that the cool & quiet and the issues with the fsb should take priority.

The pci bus is set to the default speed of 100

I cannot think of any other settings that you might want at the moment - but if you do please let me know.

Thanks again Lord Trident and anyone else that can help.

Spelled "Leapo" Wrong

Hey all -- Its "Leapo" -)
    My last post had an 'O' instead of an 'A'

Later Gents -- Hope to hear from EVERYBODY & lets try and Talk to one & other instead of sometimes just talking without answering each other's questions.

Nobody is an idiot here, but I do not think that any one of us knows it all or cannot learn something from the conversation. I've asked a question or two in some of my posts, never to even be acknowledged or get any sort of answer.

Everyone can use a pat on the back every once in a while, and at the very least, some sort of answer to even the dumbest of questions.

About AMD-V

I had same experience on AMD-V, but after I re-install OS AMD-V it work with load BIOS Optimal default.

Xtreme Mentor
    I can not get my usb flash drive to work with this board nicely :/ I was going to flash bios but it seems to be hanging on post when it's plugged in.

hangs after post and after I enter flashing tool...

I guess I'll have to use floppy to flash ....
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast