Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: G18 Destroyer bios

Xtreme Member

G18 Destroyer bios

OK for the one who think they pulled teeth to get this

another destroyer bios

http://www.ex3clan.com/foxconn/destr...1-79CF1G18.zip

fix some cpu vid table

so if you still have a cpu with the broken vid then its your fault for not given me the information.
    anyway give it a try and have fun

Thanks, I'll test this out right away

G18 Bios - Issues

This one is no good on my 955. The CPU multiplier is stuck on x4 no matter what I set it at -- tried auto, then 16 and finally 16.5.
    Windows reads what the cpu SHOULD be but it is incorrect - I'm locked on 4x200 = 800Mhz. (Cpu-z shows the multiplier). I reset to all the defaults after flashing also and did not use any stored presets.
    Also for whats it worth the cpu voltage now slightly Undervolts. It is just under what I set it at. i.e 1.000 got me 0.9920, 1.0250 got 1.0080 -- nothing like the G16/P16. That was a good thing and I was looking forward to that. Unfortunately, I cannot use this bios.
    Thanks again for trying Trident but I'm back on the G16.

*Sigh* I was hoping this would be the the last bugfix this motherboard would need. Guess not...

Quote Originally Posted by 2CentsIn View Post
    This one is no good on my 955. The CPU multiplier is stuck on x4 no matter what I set it at -- tried auto, then 16 and finally 16.5.
    Maybe he broke Cool & Quiet again... kind of annoying, but there's a work-around.

1. Set Cool & Quiet to "Enabled" in the BIOS
    2. Boot into Windows and open the control panel
    3. Open Hardware and sound > power options > Change plan settings
    4. Open Advanced Power Settings, and scroll down to "Processor Power Management"
    5. Set "Minimum processor state" to 100% and Apply the settings.

That should work around the issue. Check CPUz to confirm that the CPU is now running at the correct multiplier.

Also for whats it worth the cpu voltage now slightly Undervolts. It is just under what I set it at. i.e 1.000 got me 0.9920, 1.0250 got 1.0080 -- nothing like the G16/P16.
    Are you sure it's undervolting, or is it just reading low in the BIOS?
    Last edited by Leapo; 04-10-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Great advice Leapo - Thanks much.
    I followed it and indeed it fixes the the Mulitplier problem - and that in turn appears to fix the volts. It was low until I did the cool & quiet thing (according to Cpuz). As soon as the CPU kicks back up to normal speed, the volts once again read exactly as they do on the G16/P16. Just did a quick check on the S3 resume and 'Frank' woke up ! Yahoooooo!!!
    Currently on stock speed (3200) - gonna go play with this more. This time around I flashed the backup bios so now I can flip back & forth between the G16 & G18. Thanks again for the advice.
    I totally lost track as to what this bios was trying to fix - it was the resume thing wasn't it ???

Great advice Leapo - Thanks much.
    I followed it and indeed it fixes the the Mulitplier problem - and that in turn appears to fix the volts. It was low until I did the cool & quiet thing (according to Cpuz). As soon as the CPU kicks back up to normal speed, the volts once again read exactly as they do on the G16/P16. Just did a quick check on the S3 resume and 'Frank' woke up ! Yahoooooo!!!
    Currently on stock speed (3200) - gonna go play with this more. This time around I flashed the backup bios so now I can flip back & forth between the G16 & G18. Thanks again for the advice.
    Glad I could help. I'm interested to see what results you get between G16 and G18

I totally lost track as to what this bios was trying to fix - it was the resume thing wasn't it ???
    This was a fix for G17 setting the voltage +0.2v too high on some processors. It looks like when he fixed the VID table, the P-States were somehow broken again (which is why the Cool & Quiet work-around is needed).

Destroyer G18 Bios Stuff to talk about

Well -- got some nutty stuff to report as far as this G18 bios goes. For anyone that's just jumping in here - "Frank" is my rig.
    Here's what I have so far:
    All appears good as far the voltages go. They appear to be back to exactly what they were on the G16/P16 bioses. I did the Cool & Quiet work around that Leapo suggested -- booted up and got Frank to the stock speed of 3200 on my PII 955 without any further issues.
    Ok -- Put him to sleep -- woke him up --- did it again and again. All good. Checked the clocks & volts -- all good. Sometimes I waited up to 10-12 mins before waking him up. Still all good. Frank woke up every single time all bright eyes & shiny.
    The above was all at the stock clocks - 3200 Mhz on my 955 --- Time to start turning up the juice. Pulled a preset for my 3700 Settings -- ALL GOOD. Double & triple checked that he is on the new G18 bios because this time it was a bit tricky (I flashed the backup bios - not the main one).
    Did exactly as above - Killed him -- woke him up -- waited even longer -- STILL ALL GOOD. Ok lets go check a few more things. SLI remained enabled -- Ran 3DMark06 and he scored his usual - just over 20K - 20200. That's what he always gets on a regular basis when I have him at 3700Mhz.
    Ok - now the nutty stuff starts -- I decide to try running at 3800 again. Frank has no issues booting & running at 3800 for the most part -- its only a handfull of games that refuse to cooperate. They just bluescreen after a while. (GRID & DiRT & a couple of others). But I never stop trying to get to 3800 and leaving him there.
    So --- I push the Cpu volts up to 1.568 ( Bios setting 1.2 ) and reboot -- Re-CHECK all as above - nothing different except the cpu volts -- Frank is still running at 3700. All looking good and Frank is feeling fine.
    Re-Boot -- jump to the bios -- change the multi to 19 -- Get out - get to the desktop. Let's have a look around at 3800.
    Things APPEAR to be fine --)
    They will soon prove otherwise -(
    I put Frank to sleep and once again he wakes up at 800Mhz ! Jump into the advanced power settings and check the processor power thing --- the settings for the minimum/maximum have disappeared!!! This is as if Cool&Quiet was disabled in the bios as those settings do not show themselves unless C&Q is enabled. (Thanks to Leapo Again --) OK -- re-boot -- go check cool & quiet -- It is enabled (Set on Auto) -- Check again that Frank's on the G18 -- Yes he is. Reboot - Re-check all the advanced power settings -- the settings for the min/max cpu thing are nowhere.
    Jump back into the Bios and repeat the above just to double-check that I haven't lost my mind. I didn't. Bottom line at this point -- as soon as I go from a multiplier of x18.5 (=3700) to x19 (3800) this insanity starts. When I simply put the multi back to 18.5 and re-boot Frank at 3700 - He comes back up at 3700 - AND all the advanced power settings are back again. I'm telling you all it's really really insane. Leapo -- You check out this bios yet ??!!!???
    I have some desktop shots that I cannot post as they are over 600k each Jpegs. Anyone tell me how to post them or embed them in a message.
    Hope for some feedback on this Destroyer mess soon. Later all.

Wow, that's really weird...

I have been testing G18, but I can't set my CPU multiplier that high to check out the issue you're describing. I'm using a Phenom II X4 920 (locked at 14x) so I've been using the FSB alone to overclock it.

Can you try increasing your FSB slightly to see if you can get back to 3.8GHz without Cool&Quiet turning itself off?

Wink

Ok -- I'll give it a shot. But just from past experience, Frank just doesn't seem to like it. Somehow I always end back at 3700 even. I have pushed the fsb up to 204 - 205 and more -- but I can never get him to like it. I swear a long time ago I ran him at 3760 for a while.
    I have booted at 4Ghz got to the desktop -- then bombed. Also had him at 3800 not that long ago and once again had to back off to 3700. The thing with overclocking is that you know your settings are good when you totally forget that you're overclocked. I just tried 203 x18.5 (as before I know I've done it -- just under 3760) the other night (I really cannot leave things alone!) -- He's all fine with that except these same few games. Basically I get the same nonsense as I get at 3800 -- a bluescreen here & there - the nvidia drivers shutting down -- this usually is only when I run these heavy duty games. Even 3DMark06 will run just fine and I'll get around 20500 or so. He broke 21000 Once -- Never to see it again -- no clue how or why. Meanwhile -- how can I post these screenshots so that people don't think I'm an idiot ???
    Later Leapo & all
    "Frank" says 'Hey' !!

Totally Disgusted

Hey Leapo -- Just letting u know that I've fooled around more and more with this bios. Pushed the FSB to 203 --(x18.5).
    Windows 7 still reports 3700 instead of 37.60 like it always did whenever I tried this setting in the very recent past. Cpuz and PCwizard 2010 tell me Frank's at 3758 ( the true setting ).
    Ok -- put him to sleep - wait a bit -- wake him up and he opens his eyes at 3700 ! -- Cpuz and PC wiz now show the FSB is back at 200 instead of the 203 that he was at before he had his nap. Tried it a couple of times -- same result.
    I don't know if anyone can re-create any of what I've reported but that's all I've got for now. Something really crazy with 3700 Mhz and my 955 Cpu going on here. Either that or I have totally lost my mind. (Or my board Shot??)
    Really really don't know anymore.
    Later Leapo & all

The FSB is resetting back to 200 MHz when you wake it up from sleep mode, again? Let me check that on my end...

Seems like this BIOS update fixed one thing, but undid a lot of the previous fixes

We probably wont hear back from Lord Trident until Monday. Hopefully he can sort this out.
    Last edited by Leapo; 04-11-2010 at 03:31 AM.

G18 FSB Settings

Ok -- how's this for more insanity.
    Setting my fsb to 201 has no effect whatsoever -- cpuz says that its dead on 200. Set at 202 and cpuz reports 203 ! Wait -- now it really gets good....
    Setting of 203, 204, & 205 all read 203 !
    206, 207 & 208 all come up at 206 !
    In all of these settings, after a S3 resume, the fsb wakes back up at 200.
    Dunno anymore
    Once again I'm on a 955 -- maybe different cpus get different results.

Just a footnote to the above -- at 206 x 18.5 puts Frank at 3811 (z says 3815 )
    At any rate that's above the 3800 mark that you wanted me to check. I'm assuming C&Q stayed enabled as he didn't give any of that 800Mhz nonsense. I got so caught up in checking the FSB numbers that I forgot to look. But, on wake up --- he comes back at 3700 (200x18.5).

The x19 Multi Thing

Hey Leapo -- Just to make 1000% sure that I did not lose my mind -- I simply changed the multiplier from 18.5 to 19 once again. He boots at 3800 - but the min /max power settings disappear. Put him to sleep and he wakes up at the 800Mhz (200 x4).
    After going back to 18.5 the settings re-appear.
    I have attached a screen shot (its a PDF) after getting to the desktop at 3800 and checking the advanced power thing - see for yourself.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just ran some other checks with multipliers. All of the multipliers from 16 up to 18.5 check out ok (FSB at 200) I.e -- 16 / 16.5 /17 /17.5 /18 & 18.5 (current) are all good. They all are good on wake-up too.
    19 gives me the crazy stuff & I cannot boot at 19.5 (3900) to check it.
    I'm trying to give Trident and anyone else that works on these bioses all the info that I can -- Hope nobody is getting annoyed with the number of posts on this subject.
    Trust me -- if I could find another board that could handle all my cards & cpu -- I would buy it in a heartbeat. It really is a shame though -- I truly love this board and have invested a lot of bucks in this AMD platform. I advised my brother to get this board before I had it. I built another for my son with this board. Unfortunately, I cannot ask them to to any of this experimenting.
    That's it for now -- Really hoping that a final fix for this Destroyer will happen at some time soon. Whether it does or doesn't -- I will never ever purchase another board by Foxconn. Crap support - website beyond slow, and serious issues that they have known about with this board and they simply refuse to address.
    Later Gents

Footnote to above -- Cool & Quiet gotta be enabled.

All that above with the multipliers being ok implies that Cool & Quiet is enabled and that the work around that Leapo suggested is done. Go to the top of this thread if you haven't been following -- If the C&Q is disabled -- throw away this whole G18 bios and don't even bother with it.

Xtreme Member
    I was going to give this a try, but i think i will stay with the g16 for the time being, For some reason i cant go past 230mhz fsb, with teh g16, anyone having the same problem?
    Maximus Gene-z crazy little board.

Hey Sanousie Did you really mean 230 ??? Or 203 ? Love to help but need more info. I can flip back to the G16 without a problem to check a thing or two out for ya .. but 230 ??? No can do !

Quote Originally Posted by Sanousie View Post
    For some reason i cant go past 230mhz fsb, with the g16, anyone having the same problem?
    Yeah, I hit a wall at around 235MHz FSB with G16.

Anyone have any inside info if Trident or anyone gonna work on this destroyer mess anymore?

I'm new here, and just got activated, so, I'm going to try this when I get home, and hopefully it doesn't give me problems, I have a 955 as well. I'm kind of tech savvy, so if I have any problems with it I'll put what all I can on here. I'm hoping that seems how they aren't going to do 6 core support, they at least release the tools so someone can put it in. that'd be cool.

Do yourself a favor and flash the backup bios - just in case. I kept meaning to try that and finally remembered this time around. Less painful in case you wanna go back.

Xtreme Member
    yeah i hit a wall at 235, with the p16 bios from foxconn i could go up to 245mhz

Hmm anyone try to see if there is a wall on this bios?, i might flash it to my backup bios and try it, maybe it might increase my oc and be compatible with my team xtreem dark ram, This bios is still compatible, but sometimes it does not post on a high oc if i shut it down.

Also anyone notice that the HT multiplier is always stuck on x10 with the g16?
    Maximus Gene-z crazy little board.

Is the HT Multiplier the "CPU and NB HT Speed" in the bios?

Also - for you that have these high FSB settings, am I correct in thinking that your multiplier is locked? Last couple of CPUs that I've had were all unlocked so that's why I didn't understand anything so high. Sorry for sounding like a moron.

Just flashed back to P16. So far, I've managed to get the motherboard's FSB stable at 252 MHz without any trouble using this older P16 BIOS.

G16 and G18 both start crashing after 235 MHz no matter what. Looks like something got tweaked in these new BIOS that seriously lowered the motherboard's tolerances.

Lord Trident:
    Can you double-check and make sure you uploaded the correct BIOS? The re-appearance of a lot of old bugs is starting to make me wonder if this might be an older version that was mislabeled and uploaded my mistake.
    Last edited by Leapo; 04-14-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast