Thread: Linux, CEP2 and CPU time

Xtreme Cruncher

Linux, CEP2 and CPU time

Have been reading this thread at WCG forums, gist of it is CEP2 is not using full CPU time. BoincTasks shows CEP2 using 75% of the CPU time. All other projects are 99%.

So I click on one of the CEP2 tasks in Boinc Manager and click Properties. It shows:
    CPU Time at last Checkpoint: 7:40:44
    CPU Time: 9:25:31
    Elapsed Time: 12:25:12

So to see if I understand this right:
    CPU Time at last Checkpoint is the actual time the CPU has worked on the Work Unit.
    CPU Time is the time task has run and any wait states
    Elapsed time is time from first calculation to current.

Have I got this right?

The thread says that kernel 2.6.32-24-generic and older does much better but that is what I am running. Considering it looks like these WUs are going to run 15 hours plus I wonder if they are worth it.

Xtreme Member
    I could be completely wrong, but this is how I see things:

Elapsed time: Since the WU was started (not including when it is suspended or anything)
    CPU Time: Amount of CPU time that's gone in to it, so if it's 7 hours, that would be the equivalent of 7 hours where it had 100% CPU usage (nothing else running)
    CPU Time at last checkpoint: Last time it wrote results to disk
    WCG Rigs: 184 threads, mostly i7s

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    Have been reading this thread at WCG forums, gist of it is CEP2 is not using full CPU time. BoincTasks shows CEP2 using 75% of the CPU time. All other projects are 99%.

So I click on one of the CEP2 tasks in Boinc Manager and click Properties. It shows:
    CPU Time at last Checkpoint: 7:40:44
    CPU Time: 9:25:31
    Elapsed Time: 12:25:12

So to see if I understand this right:
    CPU Time at last Checkpoint is the actual time the CPU has worked on the Work Unit.
    CPU Time is the time task has run and any wait states
    Elapsed time is time from first calculation to current.
    CPU Time at last Checkpoint is how much CPU time had elapsed when the checkpoint was reached.
    CPU time is the amount of time the CPU spent actively working on the unit.
    Elapsed time is how long the unit has been running, including any time spent waiting for I/O, suspended (but still active) etc so yeah, the time from first calculation to now (not including time the whole client may have been suspended though, I would suspect)

I have a couple of CEP2 units coming up in my cache so I'll keep an eye on them now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    They both finished at 9 and 10 hours, projection had been 13 and 15. So not too sure these numbers are meaning so much.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Xtreme Member
    I'll keep an eye on the CEP2 WUs on my C2D and report back...something I've found is that they all take under 10 hours, but just barely so. If you base how long they should take off of earlier results, it looks more like ~20 hours per WU, but they all speed up a lot at the end
    WCG Rigs: 184 threads, mostly i7s