Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Promotion of fraudulent RMAs on XS

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by anzial View Post
    Well, I hate it when people buy new shiny toys and brag about that. Shall we institute a zero-tolerance policy for that, too?
    Someone is losing money because people want to RMA stuff after OCing it. There's no monetary loss for someone bragging about their new system.

And why are we even discussing "instituting" any policy... Frankly I'd consider RMAing something you broke by OCing to be in violation of the warranty.... not to mention that most people would consider it just plain wrong.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Over-reaction much?

IMHO, the decision to do something immoral like that should be between the individual and their conscience. It has no place here.

"In the broadest sense, a fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and also a civil law violation. Defrauding people or entities of money or valuables is a common purpose of fraud"
    So what the banks did was totally okay with you? Because the banks DID argue that their contracts for loans was between themselves and the contract signer. But guess who loses in the end...everyone.

Sure, the quantity of fraud was different. My sister signed a loan for a house that she couldn't afford, figuring the bank would help her if needed. Now she's on the verge of losing her house. Guess what, I don't feel bad for her, she made the bad choices and must pay for them. I feel sorry for all of the taxpayers that bailed out these corrupt banks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    So what the banks did was totally okay with you? Because the banks DID argue that their contracts for loans was between themselves and the contract signer. But guess who loses in the end...everyone.

Sure, the quantity of fraud was different. My sister signed a loan for a house that she couldn't afford, figuring the bank would help her if needed. Now she's on the verge of losing her house. Guess what, I don't feel bad for her, she made the bad choices and must pay for them. I feel sorry for all of the taxpayers that bailed out these corrupt banks.
    I feel sorry for US too, we haven't even started to pay for this yet, w/more to come imo.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Someone is losing money because people want to RMA stuff after OCing it. There's no monetary loss for someone bragging about their new system.

And why are we even discussing "instituting" any policy... Frankly I'd consider RMAing something you broke by OCing to be in violation of the warranty.... not to mention that most people would consider it just plain wrong.
    that's not my point. If you hate something it doesn't mean everyone else is supposed to hate it. Don't assume that your values are automatically universal just because you believe in them.

What I mean is that I believe in the rule of law, while you prefer to rely on your own system of values. I do not believe that I should be subject to everyone else's values as I do not wish to impose mine on someone else. The OP's statement is his opinion and I respect that but I do not wish his opinions becoming an pseudo-law in this forum when there is a body of real law and regulations that governs that sort of thing.

This forum is supposed to be for exchange of opinions, not their imposition/enforcement. Unless you or OP claim to know all the laws and regulations for RMA, your opinion is just that, an opinion.
    Last edited by anzial; 04-11-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    Sig is under construction

Xtreme Mentor
    This all seems reasonably straight-forward. You are free to try and return anything you like on warranty. If you burned it with a blowtorch, give it a shot and send it back if you like. BUT, you must disclose everything you did to that item out of its default configuration. If you upped the volts and you don't inform the manufacturer when you try to warranty, you're trying to steal from them. Anything you do outside of the stock parameters you are obligated to disclose. Anyone who advises you not to disclose is advising you to try and "sneak" it through, and to in effect steal from that manufacturer. If there is any rule at all about such discussions, it should be to discourage anyone who advises not disclosing. Tell the manufacturer what you did and let them decide. If the manufacturer has a policy encouraging overclocking, then fine. Remind them of that and inform them what you did. Some people overclock a lot more than others, and not all overclocking should be treated equally. If I made motherboards, I would have a simple mechanism whereby the maximum voltages the board was subjected to are recorded in the event of RMA, but then that's a different topic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    This all seems reasonably straight-forward. You are free to try and return anything you like on warranty. If you burned it with a blowtorch, give it a shot and send it back if you like. BUT, you must disclose everything you did to that item out of its default configuration. If you upped the volts and you don't inform the manufacturer when you try to warranty, you're trying to steal from them. Anything you do outside of the stock parameters you are obligated to disclose. Anyone who advises you not to disclose is advising you to try and "sneak" it through, and to in effect steal from that manufacturer. If there is any rule at all about such discussions, it should be to discourage anyone who advises not disclosing. Tell the manufacturer what you did and let them decide. If the manufacturer has a policy encouraging overclocking, then fine. Remind them of that and inform them what you did. Some people overclock a lot more than others, and not all overclocking should be treated equally. If I made motherboards, I would have a simple mechanism whereby the maximum voltages the board was subjected to are recorded in the event of RMA, but then that's a different topic.
    sounds reasonable to me.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'd agree. There's just one problem. The people in this forum realize that if they told the manufacturer that they OC'ed their equipment, that would for sure void the warranty. So why even bother calling the manufacturer. Simply put, if you ARE calling to RMA a product, most people in this forum know NOT to mention that 4.5Ghz overclock the had. If you're smart enough to overclock, then you want to enjoy that performance for free, otherwise you'd buy a faster processor. I just can't wait for the next generation of CPUs. I've heard from people with ties to CPU manufacturers that the next generation of processors will keep an internal log of Ghz ratings its been put through. They intend to start using that to honor warranties. Additionally, because so many OCers are dishonest(who'd have thunk it!), this will fix a large portion of their RMAs, which will allow them to be more competitive and extend their warranties offered.

And yes, I have overclocked my computers before. I am not currently because I can't seem to get my Corei7s to overclock, but I'd take full and complete responsibility if my CPU went up in smoke because of it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I hate a lot of things, but its called life. Live with it. You have to remember for every person "using" the system to get an RMA there is a rich F using the system to get more money. So honestly it doesn't hurt my feelings. Cause obviously these companies are still doing just fine from the looks of it.

I personally think this thread should be deleted before something stupid is started.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I just can't wait for the next generation of CPUs. I've heard from people with ties to CPU manufacturers that the next generation of processors will keep an internal log of Ghz ratings its been put through. They intend to start using that to honor warranties.
    That's a good and classic every years April fool's joke

Seriously now, if we were about to start catching and punishing people for fraudulent actions and dishonesty, we should start from the filthy and corrupt politicians ( well... that's some bloody hell, since most of them are dirty )
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Apples: oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12