Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7d still not working, need help please

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
    Try a controlled environment test. You can't control the environment outside especially ambient lighting. Plus the shot itself looks underexposed.

I'm sure you have a rubber ducky or some other baby toys. Try with those and use a flash if you have to. Bounced or otherwise.

Your example doesn't show the focusing issue you are talking about. It could just be the ty kit-lens!

And run this thread over POTN and I'm sure some will chime in regarding custom settings and what not!

the poopy kit lens doesnt create noise, and my point of the picture wasnt focus it was noise. and neither does underexposure at iso-100.
    the camera also has white pixels and red stuck pixels, and this is the Canon Rep's camera. they dont show up under normal ligthing, it has to be low light, but they are there.

its been run over at POTN and the guys over there are understanding of the issues as they have seen them also.
    I also just got off the phone with a sports pro who went thru the same issues as i am, and also 2 bodies and refuses to use another one, he also mentioned the Saracuse News and the AP guys refuse to use the camera also because of its flakey focus.

I have no doubt, as Elisha can attest to, that the 7D can be a solid camera, but my experiences are saying different along with god knows how many forums around the net saying the same thing.

the camera is flawed, canon refuses to acknowledge any issues, and when the canon rep's are faced with unhappy customers they have no problem allowing the person to get a full refund. that right there is worth a million forum posts, when a rep immediately, as the rep did with me, says give him his money back that proves that they know of the issues and there is no fix for it and they are not willing to go thru god knows how many bodies before the customer gets a good one.
    Anyone in any type of business knows that when a rep instantly gives up, that is a huge telling sign that the factory knows about the problem and cant fix it.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Cruncher
    get the t2i or if they give you a nice discount on the 5dmkII thats the one
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Addict
    so i am going through some custom settings right now for AI Servo
    C.Fn III-3

by default if you are tracking a moving object and another object appears in the picture closer to you, the camera will track that closer object.
    i am assuming the AI servo tracking sensitivity plays a role here too but I find this default really really stupid. i am changing mine to stay on the object which i actually want to track...

EDIT:
    and according to this
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...=7-10048-10484
    AF tends to suck if you are shooting an object coming at you (a runner) when you are shooting from even a slight angle
    Last edited by ripken204; 04-11-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Enthusiast
    anyone tried the 1.2.1 firmware yet?
    Phenom Monsta - Gallery
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | MSI 790FX-GD70 | Dominator 1600 C8 8GB | 4770 CF | 2xWD640GB Raid0 | 2xWD1.5TB Raid1 | Corsair HX850 |Lian-Li PC-7FW
    Enzotech Luna Rev.A | 2 x MCW60 | MCP-350 | XSPC Dual DDC Res | TFC Monsta 420/360 Limited Edition

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS | Nissin Di866 | D-Lite4 | 17" MiniSoft | 53" Midi-Octa | 7" Reflector + 20º Grid | Explorer XT SE | Crumpler 6MDH

Xtreme Addict
    oh wow just released!
    i will install tomorrow and test it out!
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm, well heres my take on the 7D.

The 7D with WIDE aperture lenses just doesn't shine that much... ( sigma 50mm f/1,4 ), Have you tried using uhh whats that called, the precise af mode? Sorry forgot the name, but with my 7D it just absolutely produces life like images with my 70-200mm 4L IS, focus is dead accurate. with the 1.4? well... was a little bit disappointed.
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

Xtreme Addict
    i think you may mean 'spot af'?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You're judging based on problematic lenses. The Sigma 30mm and 50mm are plagued with AF and softness issues to begin with until properly calibrated!

Xtreme Addict
    and i am still not liking ISO800 or above on this camera..

I am Xtreme
    hey rip make an ISO thread, i want to see some examples and i will post my similar examples with my t2i
    and maybe Elisha can post his 7D ISO tests.

noise is noise and it isn't created from spot, center weighted, or other focusing or metering.
    although more chromatic/color noise would happen if it is metered incorrectly, that would be a time where my statement is flawed, i agree.
    ie; picture is metered with too slow of shutter speed thus causing ISO noise to be more apparent.
    Last edited by Lestat; 05-07-2010 at 08:40 PM.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    hmm, i am not quite sure what you are meaning by too slow of a shutter speed in this case.
    that would mean that the picture would be a little too over exposed...
    in my cases tonight the pictures tended to be a little underexposed, according to lightroom 3 at least.
    i was shooting in TV mode.
    i guess i should try slightly overexposing the shots at ISO800 to see if i obtain similar results..

it is somewhat hard to see the noise while zoomed out at the whole pic, but when i zoom in to 100% it is very noticeable.

i also shot some at ISO3200, mainly b/c i had no other choice, obviously there is a great deal of noise, ive never shot that high before.
    i will hopefully be able to play around and test this out some more this weekend, i finally have a weekend where i am not crazy busy with track meets.
    Last edited by ripken204; 05-08-2010 at 05:52 AM.

I am Xtreme
    yeah my words were incorrect i meant too fast of a shutter speed causing under exposure and maybe the iso noise might show up more.

lets do an iso comparison thread, i really am interested in what you are finding bad about the 7D iso performance.

i wasnt impressed with it at all, i wont argue that but i just want to see what you are calling bad and try to mimic things on my T2i

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    ya i guess we can do that, maybe i am just expecting too much out of it, but after looking at other ppl's images i am not impressed with ISO800+

I am Xtreme
    the hard part about doing camera comparisons between us is that we have no controlled subject or environment so we have to do our best to mimic each other.

something like each iso setting at a set shutter speed and f-stop of a similar subject using something like the default neutral custom style in the camera.
    but post some of your shots your unhappy with so we know where you are coming from.

i actually say a video once where a guy claimed use iso settings that are multiples of 16, so iso 240, 320, 640, etc.
    maybe try that and if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by Lestat; 05-08-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Aand.. do you use Canon DPP for processing those ISO 800+? Cause if not, thats why you are not impressed.

Btw. Canon doesnt have too good SNR, but! it has very good software ways to handle noise. Kinda opposite from Nikon.. but I think that I will have white beard before Nikon introduce more than 12 mpix APS-C.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

I am Xtreme
    also dont forget to shoot raw, which i imagine you might be already.
    but canon doesnt have the iso difference between raw and jpeg like nikon does, but there will still be some difference.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Are you shooting people or objects at high ISO?
    People aren't a good way to judge cause if you don't like how the eyes look, the whole pic fails!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Camera: Canon EOS 7D
    Exposure: 0.025 sec (1/40)
    Aperture: f/5.0
    Focal Length: 30 mm
    ISO Speed: 12800
    Lens: 18-55 IS

Had to use such a high ISO cause of the extreme low light but you can see why it is necessary based on exif too....
    NRed of course....but this one is acceptable cause his eyes soak up all available light making that area less noisy naturally!
    Spot metering saved this shot and properly exposed it!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
    Are you shooting people or objects at high ISO?
    People aren't a good way to judge cause if you don't like how the eyes look, the whole pic fails!
    people, but it's the whole picture..
    and i am shooting in RAW.

Here is just one example:
    DNG File

and yes, this is one that is a bit underexposed.

Exposure: 1/640
    Aperture: f/4.0
    Focal Length: 200 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
    Lens: 70-200 f/4 IS

Last edited by ripken204; 05-08-2010 at 07:35 AM.

I am Xtreme
    EOS T2i
    Canon 50mm F/1.4 @ f/4.0
    iso6400
    1/40th sec.
    straight out of the camera and resized
    shot with Kodachrome style

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Quite a lot of noise.. can you post RAW somewhere? I would like to try something. Ideal would be if you convert RAW to DNG via DPP, if its possible..
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Addict
    hmm, just realized lightroom 3 has a cool noise reduction tool, and it actually helped a good bit

Exposure: 1/640
    Aperture: f/4.0
    Focal Length: 200 mm
    ISO Speed: 800
    Lens: 70-200 f/4 IS

BEFORE

AFTER
    Last edited by ripken204; 05-08-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you have shots of anything static?
    The runners seem a little OOF.

Xtreme Addict
    i only have 2 shots at ISO800 where they are just standing, not rly moving, same results though.
    i wish i had more time to play around with my camera at these meets.. too busy working.
    i do agree they seem a but out of focus, 40 degree rainy and windy weather is never a nice thing, but still..
    being slightly out of focus should not account for noise.

I am Xtreme

Heat Ebay Feedback

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast