Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7d still not working, need help please

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you think that maybe one of your lenses or your MF adapter may have screwed something up?
    Just wondering cause I know some older Sigma lenses have the capability of messing things up occasionally!

Xtreme Addict
    MF hardly as it doesnt have any connection to body..

Lens can, you are correct about some old Sigmas (and heh, Ive read post from someone who claims that even one of todays did that.. but to Nikon, not Canon). It must be hard to make lens to such large amount of bodies (I mean for Sigma/Tamron etc.).
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

I am Xtreme
    the M42 adapter was the very first thing i inspected back in Feb. and mounting the adapter on it with no lens i was able to slide a piece of paper between the pins and the adapter but not one of my business cards.

does that mean it was 100% not touching no. so I even sanded 2 of my adapters down so you could SEE a good sized gap.
    BUT, the only M42 adapter i used with the 2nd camera was the AF Confirm adapter which has contacts and an AF confirm chip.
    now it could have been that one that screwed it up but here is the real kicker....

Those same adapters NEVER messed with my 40D.....

either way i doubt it was the adapters but have not ruled them out.

as for one of my lenses doing it... hmmmm, thats tough and i have questioned Canon about it.
    Since the camera powers everything if there was a hickup or a bad circuit some where that did not cause an immediate ERR. XX on the LCD, then i could see where it might potentially damage the electronics of the camera.
    but they said the chances are so slim that it would probably never happen.
    i would get an ERR message on the LCD screen or it just wouldnt focus.

i did try the Canon Rep's 7D today and her are the results.

-HIS camera and MY lenses - absolutely show that my lenses are screwed up, canon miscalibrated them and broke their perfect focusing. i showed one of the guys in the store as the store owner was out to lunch with a customer and the guy said, and i quote "oh wow! that is screwed up"

-MY camera and HIS lens - iffy, since its an F/3.5 lens, in the store shutter speeds were a bit slower so i was getting some camera shake even though it is an IS lens but it did seem to struggle at times to produce a solid focused picture.

-HIS camera and HIS lens - a couple times i though it looked a bit iffy but again, being a slower lens i need to get it on a tripod this weekend and compare it to my camera and his lens and see what happens.

but the end result will be my lenses go back for calibration and my camera is getting replaced regardless. those 2 plans have been established.
    today's test was really to see if my lenses were screwed up.
    since its a loaner i will keep it for the weekend and probably some or all of next week until i get my lenses back and can verify they fixed them properly. and then i will pick a camera.

with all truthfulness i am leaning towards the T2i and using the extra money for some new glass.... i would love the 5D but i just cant afford it unless the owner can give me a better deal.
    otherwise i may make the request that the 7D is hand picked and tested to be 100% before it gets into my hands.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lol whenever in doubt, use the flash.
    I would never test focusing with slow shutter speed or low light.
    As advanced as cameras are these days, they can get confused with artificial and low light!

Xtreme Addict
    go outside??
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    go outside??
    i was really short on time as i was only on my lunch hour so didnt have much time.
    i am heading there in about 20 minutes and will test it outside on a tripod.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    i am mad that i still haven't taken my 7d outside. it's been raining most of the week and it just started snowing! wtf! a week ago we were almost at 90F!
    ever since i got this camera in my hands the weather has gone to ..
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Member
    i am mad that i still haven't taken my 7d outside. it's been raining most of the week and it just started snowing! wtf! a week ago we were almost at 90F!
    ever since i got this camera in my hands the weather has gone to ..
    Just go man it is weather sealed, you can let us know if the sealing is really that good.
    i7 940/Rampage 2 Extreme/Corsair 6g Dominator/Corsair HX100W/GTX 580/SSD

Xtreme Addict
    Heh.. camera yes, but his lens? If he has L, he can go out.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Even then, not all L's are weather sealed and some only if there is a filter on it!

Xtreme Addict
    Good to know.. I think Ill stick with K-7 or A900.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Xtreme Addict
    i have one sealed lens, 70-200mm f/4, but is has been so damn dark out grrr and its snowing and windy and i dont wna be outside.
    expect some pics from me tomorrow night tho!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have one sealed lens, 70-200mm f/4, but is has been so damn dark out grrr and its snowing and windy and i dont wna be outside.
    expect some pics from me tomorrow night tho!
    Take something indoors with bounced flash!
    Hell I used to sit on the crapper and take pics of the toilet paper holder just for the sake of taking pics!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
    Hell I used to sit on the crapper and take pics of the toilet paper holder just for the sake of taking pics!
    Damn lol!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
    what ever turns you on
    there is nothing to take of inside. i am a college student in a crappy apartment..

Xtreme Member
    Yea waiting for the day when elisha post a pic and all of us will be like wow what's that, and its his droppings.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyRICE View Post
    Yea waiting for the day when elisha post a pic and all of us will be like wow what's that, and its his droppings.
    I'll make it look like magma from an active volcano!

Xtreme Addict
    start drinking hot sauce NOW!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Already had my dump for the day!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    haha, enough with the crap talk! lol

ripken, when i went to the zoo it was raining hard and i soaked my 7D with a rented 70-200 F2.8 IS but everything was just working fine. the weather sealing is good as far as i have experienced.
    Phenom Monsta - Gallery
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | MSI 790FX-GD70 | Dominator 1600 C8 8GB | 4770 CF | 2xWD640GB Raid0 | 2xWD1.5TB Raid1 | Corsair HX850 |Lian-Li PC-7FW
    Enzotech Luna Rev.A | 2 x MCW60 | MCP-350 | XSPC Dual DDC Res | TFC Monsta 420/360 Limited Edition

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS | Nissin Di866 | D-Lite4 | 17" MiniSoft | 53" Midi-Octa | 7" Reflector + 20º Grid | Explorer XT SE | Crumpler 6MDH

Xtreme Addict
    crap talk, haha
    i understand the weather sealing is suppose to be good, it's a reason i bought the camera, i am just always cautious with anything new and expensive.

Xtreme Addict
    ya this focusing system takes some time getting used to.
    i just stuck to single point mostly, i wasn't really liking the new ones.
    the tracking kind of sucked at first so i lowered the tracking sensitivity and it became much better.
    i was taking pictures at runners at a track meet..
    with the sensitivity at normal, the lens at times would be in focus on the runner in one frame, then perfectly focused on the trees 150m away, then the next frame perfect on the runner again.

I am Xtreme
    ripken welcome to the "canon didnt learn from their 1D Mark III fiasco".

guys i just got done reading, and writing a long letter to the editors, an article about the 1D Mark III (not the 1Ds) and i have to tell you that the focusing issues of the 1D MKIII are so similar to the 7D that i am just in awe at how canon did not learn anything from that fiasco.

this is a long article and the editors detail the issues very very well, and even have an update from Q2 of last year on how canon still isnt calibrating the focusing system of the 1D MK III properly.
    In my letter to them i told them they could change the name of the article and words in the article body to say Canon EOS 7D and no one would know it was actually the 1D MK III article.

this is seriously some scary stuff guys,,,, canon learned nothing, not one thing, and they proceeded to put the same screwed up focusing system and faulty mirror mechanisms in the 7D as the 1D MK III had....

I am done with the 7D, i truly TRULY feel that canon can not and will not fix the issue. I am sending a warning to anyone i know thinking of buying one of Canon's cameras with the "new" extremely high AF point system to just stay away from it. (7D and some of the 1D cameras like the MK III and 1Ds MK III, not sure about the MK 4 )
    by an older camera like the 40D or 50D or even the newer 5D MK II as they still use the old focusing system.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-8740-9068

i did test my lenses ont he Rep's 7D and they are screwed up, i have to send them to canon so they can screw them up again,, err i mean fix them.
    I have the Rep's 7D until those lenses come back, but honestly i havent used it much and what i have,,, not that impressed.... it still struggles to focus on the subject, even using his 18-135mm IS kit lens (which is a crappy lens by the way) i like the 28-135mm better.

here is a full size 5mb 18mp file,,, does this thing look noisy to anyone else given it is ISO 100 and f/5.6 ???
    look at the windshield and then behind the car at the tree area. also any area with black like hte side mirror.
    the focal point was around the door handle.
    http://stinky.no-ip.biz/photo/conver...6973652e4a5047

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Try a controlled environment test. You can't control the environment outside especially ambient lighting. Plus the shot itself looks underexposed.

I'm sure you have a rubber ducky or some other baby toys. Try with those and use a flash if you have to. Bounced or otherwise.

Your example doesn't show the focusing issue you are talking about. It could just be the ty kit-lens!

And run this thread over POTN and I'm sure some will chime in regarding custom settings and what not!

Xtreme Addict
    yep, that link says some of what i have experienced so far.
    i do need more practice though, i have never shot many people running even though i basically live at track meets.
    what's nice is that i can go anywhere without any questions to take pics at a track meet like standing at the finish line during throughout a race or right next to the starter.
    i will definitely be doing my own testing at track meets though with AI Servo and let you all know how it goes, assuming that i have the time at a meet to do so..

i already do have sequences of some runners pretty much all in focus but of course more would be nice.
    before i go to blame the camera though i am going to practice with it more first.
    i have a rebel xsi before this so shooting many shots of someone was pretty much impossible.. this is all new to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast