Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7d still not working, need help please

I am Xtreme

Angry 7d still not working, need help please

ok all.. here goes.

as many of you know i purchased a canon 7D back in mid Jan. and since then nothing has been good.
    take what i am about to say for what i say, dont read anything into it, and dont let my experience hinder you buying a 7D, Elisha and others are a perfect example of people who have gotten a good 7D.

Mid Feb after a month of owning my first 7D i got fed up with it's focusing issues and taking pictures that were not soft, but noticeably and blatantly out of focus.
    the focus point of the camera, viewable on the LCD or using Canon DPP on your PC would show that the focus point was out of focus and the actual focused object was some place else, be it in front of or behind the subject.

the more pictures i took, the worse it got, as if something mechanical inside the camera was becoming more and more out of adjustment.
    it was not the lenses i had either because these were lenses i had used on my Canon 20D, 40D, XTi and XSi and never once had any issues.

So i go into the camera shop and explain this to the store owner and the 3 guys in the store, and even have THEM take some pictures and they admitted things were not right.
    so the store owner tried lying to me by telling me he can't RMA it that Canon has to authorize it, which i know for 100% fact is not true, since every other camera store, be it walmart or B&H will RMA a camera.
    so i got him to supposedly "talk to the canon rep and authorize the RMA"

upon testing the camera they gave me, which was brand new off the shelf, i saw him grab it, i noticed it wasnt perfect but couldn't tell, in the store, if it was just my hands not being steady. so i took the camera... big mistake i know. i should have said it was not working either and got a different one.

ok, so i keep taking shots and unless i used manual focus they were sometimes ok, and many times not.
    I tried to use the Lens Microadjustment within the camera but it didn't work, the microadjustments would never be the same twice.
    i could shut off the camera and come back in the morning and it was different.
    i could swap lenses recalibrate that lens, then go back to the original and it was off again.
    different focus points would also yield VERY different results.
    the center point was probably the best even though it was inches, to feet off focus. but the non center focus points would instantly be completely out of focus and un adjustable.

so i call canon, and have them send it to new jersey for repair.
    the repair guy returned it to me after 24 hours, meaning probably an hour or two of calibration and testing.
    I also sent my 85mm 1.8 and my 50mm 1.8 to verify calibration and test with the camera
    i also sent it in because there was a dead pixel on the sensor and have them remap it.
    The tech notes on the paperwork i got back said electrical and mechanical adjustments were carried out on the cameras focusing system and sensor.
    the 2 lenses said they were adjusted, calibrated and tested.

when i get it back it was immediately noticeably not fixed and in fact it was returned to me in worse shape than what i sent it in.
    not only did it not focus properly but they also took the single dead white pixel and not only didnt remap it but they deadened 4 more pixels, the 4 pixels surrounding the original one.
    they now show as a white X on every picture.

So,,,, i call canon and am livid, i am mad as hell but remain calm, they have me send it to california.

i write a VERY long note explaining in detail every situation i was experiencing and include a CD with pictures of the bad pictures very clearly circled in red.

after i send the camera off i take my 85mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 to the camera store and try them on the display 50D... a few shots look ok,, the others are very clearly not focused right.
    ok.. those bastards in New Jersey completely fvcked up my perfectly good working 85mm and 50mm. (i know they are good as they were working perfect on other cameras until the guys in jersey got their hands on them.
    I also noticed that not only did they screw up the focusing but there is now dirt/dust inside of the lens elements, and you can believe me those lenses were spotless when i sent them to canon.

after a week of having the camera in their posession they finally, in a matter of a couple of hours have the camera recalibrated,,, supposedly....
    So i call them and ask for what was fixed and they said the tech notes said that the original calibration was done incorrectly and that mechanical and electrical adjustments were made to the focusing mechanism and tested good.

I ask if the dead pixels were fixed, and they said they dont see anything about it but if it was on the note i put in the box then the tech's fixed it.
    I said no, that doesn't mean they fixed it, i need verification that they fixed it or i refuse to allow you to send it back to me and i want it taken back and fixed and dead pixels remapped or sensor replaced.

again they said if i had it on the note, which i did, they fixed it.
    I said listen obviously the guy didnt fix it or it would be in the repair notes, now i need to speak with someone who can verify that it was fixed, and i requested a supervisor since the lady said she had no way to verify anything and that i had to take their word that it was fixed even though they couldn't prove it.... (pretty ballsy of them to expect me to believe that)

the supervisor, Marvin, said he could try to get ahold of someone down in the repair center who could pull it off the shipping line and verify if the pixels were fixed and he would let me know.
    that was Noon Monday.

6 o'clock monday i call back, marvin is gone and so are the repair guys. (its 4 o'clock in california mind you)
    HE has not called or emailed me like he said he would and the lady on the phone called the repair guys but they had left already.
    now why the fvck!! the previous support lady and Marvin the Supervisor both said they couldnt just call down to the repair team while they were there and ask if the camera was fixed properly but this lady at 6 o'clock can???!!!

now i am mad as hell.

Tuesday April 6th, i call and get back to marvin who said he was sorry but no one was getting back to him, i ask why he didnt have the common courtesy to call me and tell me this and he didnt have an answer.
    i said it really doesnt matter now because the camera was already shipped out and that if i received it back with either bad focusing, or dead pixels still on it that i was going to go ballistic and seek every action i had at my disposal to make canon replace the camera.
    he understood but "couldn't do anything"

Wed April 7th - Camera arrived today and very first thing i noticed was that they didnt "clean it" like i was told they do for every service repair regardless of what the issue was... ok, what ever if they cleaned it all they did was blow some canned air on it.....

i throw on my 85mm... nope... not focusing... throw on my 50mm,,, nope not focusing.... throw on my 30mm ,,,, nope not focusing,
    and in fact one shot they are front focusing, next shot its back focusing.
    but i am at work and dont have a lot of time to mess around.

I am home now and start messing around taking shots and its just as bad as it was when i sent it to them. i cant microfocus because every shot comes out a little different.
    so now i wonder is it the lenses they screwed up or the camera. the fact that no two pictures are front or back focusing the same distance tells me its the camera.

i also go into the bathroom and shut the lights off and take a 10sec exposure.... yup,, those mother fvckers.. the dead pixels are still there,,, the white X that the first guy screwed up along with all the red and blue stuck pixels.... they completely ignored the note i put in the box, they also completely fvcking ignored the CD i put in the box with the pictures of the dead pictures.
    Q&A and the testers completely fvcking missed it (dead pixels) and OBVIOUSLY did not test the focusing system properly

now i am done,, i am just done with it and have so many things i would love to say or do with canon and the store owner but i just dont know what to do.

i am truly at a loss, since i got home and messed with the camera i am just sitting here blank.. feeling so angry, but empty.... i just dont know what to do.

guys,, help me please....

the old me would go back to the store like the devil himself and tell the store owner i want a replacement or my money back, that twice canon couldnt fix it and in fact the screwed it up even worse, and then screwed up two perfectly good working lenses... and be very angry about it... that the store owner can either replace the camera and my 50mm lens that i got from him right there on the spot or he can do something, work a deal with me on a different camera.
    hell i will switch to a Nikon but that would mean he would have to take back the camera, the 580EX II flash, the extra battery and the 50mm lens and exchange them for the nikon equivilent... and i highly highly doubt he will do that.

please help me out here guys, i can remain as calm as it takes to get what i feel i deserve, i spent $1700 on a camera that appearently canon cant fix.
    i spent $100 on a lens that they now have broken
    i spent $420 on another lens they now have broken

i truly feel like i am fvcked, that i am going to get the shaft from canon and the store, and i need to know how to deal with this in a manor that gets me what i paid for without having to send EVERYTHING back to canon... AGAIN.....

twice they claimed to fix it, twice they did not, and also broke the focusing on the lenses.....

what course of action do i have to get what i deserve.

Is there anyone at canon i can call and talk to who will get this resolved....

i need help guys...
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    My friend, I cannot really help you on this issue, but I would be looking into Nikon by now if I was you. I feel for you and can understand how you are feeling, but its time now that you make a choice. I would be speaking with management by now. Canon cannon cannot keep screwing you over.

I have a friend how has purchased the 7D and has had it 3 months and has not had a problem so far.

it's time to take this situation to higher power and stand tall to cannon. Basically your out 1700 for the camera plus the two lenses they have broken, you may have enough on them to push legal issues upon them.

Just my 2 cents..

I am Xtreme
    i have considered talking to the store owner about a trade for a D90 but.... he would HAVE TO take back the camera, the 50mm and the 580EX II flash and give me the nikon equal... and frankly i highly doubt he will.

to be honest i know how things are done, i work for a distributor so i know how the mfg and VAR relationsihp works. he could easily trade and canon would replace the bad canon gear.
    another view or way its done is they fix the canon gear and send it to him to sell as refurbed.. i see this all the time too. but all he has to do is talk to the regional canon rep and tell them he wants brand new replacements and they will do it, he just has to rub them the right way.

legal side of things is not something i can afford. i just dont have the income for that, i of course am not going to tell them that, and worse case is i threaten them with legal action.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does the lemon policy apply to cameras?
    If it does, get a 3rd RMA and also write to head office.
    I'm sure someone has done this before. Look over at POTN to see how far others have escalated their issue!

It that does not work, then I would switch to a Noink as well.
    I'd trade it all in for a D700 with a 50mmm G f/1.4 and start from there.
    You should be able to get a pre-loved D700 for under 2k as I have seen them on the FredMiranda forums many times.
    I've been tempted many times as well but I need video so.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow that sounds like a horrid ordeal and i would be livid at this point if it were me. Have you tried a 7D display camera in another store to see if it has the same issue? It sounds like that store may have gotten a bad batch of 7D's. Why not talk to the store owner and see if he can order a 7D replacement instead of giving you one he has in stock?

Switching to Nikon is always an option as it doesn't sound like you have much invested in the canon system just yet. I'm sure your aware with everything electronic switching from one brand to another doesn't guarantee you wont get the same customer service from Nikon or wont have issues with their cameras.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
    - Albert Einstein

I am Xtreme
    quick update--

i looked more closely at my dark room picture and they actually did kill SOME of the deal pixels i had but missed atleast 4 others.

they ALL show up as white X's....

ok,, so now the question is, do some softwares show remapped dead pixels as white x's and others dont?
    ie; photoshop, infranview, show white X's ????

i know for a fact that when my 40D came back for over a dozen dead pixels, neither photoshop, nor infranview shows anything, my images were clean as if there were never any dead pixels....

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Or get another camera..

Im amazed by your patience.

Im not sure if it applies where you lives, but here, if you get third RMA on same thing, you can get money back.. (or choose different thing at same price, if you want). If its possible, RMA it calmly again..

Tough not sure what with rest of equipment. If those lenses are still within warranty, I would try let them fix it (idealy to tune them for some camera you were sure they work with). And then sell, as rest of equip. You dont get probably same amount of money back, but at least something.

Thanks for sharing that. I heard something about bad Canon servis and their attitude towards customers and you proved that those things were right. Which means I will never buy anything from them. Luckly we have 4 others dSLR makers (and two EVIL camera makers). And at least two of them makes full-frames.. which is not bad.

I hope you will have it solved some good way.. Wish you luck with that.
    Last edited by Mescalamba; 04-07-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    quick update--

i looked more closely at my dark room picture and they actually did kill SOME of the deal pixels i had but missed atleast 4 others.

they ALL show up as white X's....

ok,, so now the question is, do some softwares show remapped dead pixels as white x's and others dont?
    ie; photoshop, infranview, show white X's ????

i know for a fact that when my 40D came back for over a dozen dead pixels, neither photoshop, nor infranview shows anything, my images were clean as if there were never any dead pixels....
    Which means they didnt remmaped anything..
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

I am Xtreme
    from what i am seeing Iowa Lemon Law only applies to vehicles.
    lemon's are usually associated to cars so that may be why i am only seeing references to cars, but it does stipulate it must have 3 attempts at a repair before we as a consumer have any action.

in my heart i dont have an issue sending it back AGAIN, its just that i know that when buying something like this and its fualty from the get go that the future of said device is spotty at best.
    not only that but now after 2 attempts to fix it which failed and one of those attempts screwed up my lenses,,, well,,, i am not of the mind to allow them to screw things up again.

i am taking this morning off work to talk to the store owner, if he is there so will report back my findings.

Mescalamba dont believe that my experience is an all encompassing view of what happens with canon support.
    when my 40D went in for service they fixed it and sent me back a camera that was as good as new.
    but that was, at that time, my one and only service center experience and although it took a while, they got the job done the first time.

i have a sneaky feeling that the 7D is something they are dealing with alot of, and i mean A LOT of them... and they are frantically trying to push blame onto the camera owners as user error
    Last edited by Lestat; 04-09-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Actually, Ive read story from guy who had problems with 1DsMK3.. and it really didnt ended well for Canon. (quite similar story, only exception is that he was making his living with that thing) In the end he bought D700 I think.. (I guess that he didnt have too much money left and its still better than nothing ).

Plus Ive heard some not-so-funny stories about local Canon servis from one camera shop owner.. If at least half of it is true, I guess than I get why he recommands Nikon or everything else over Canon.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

I am Xtreme
    well just got back from an hour and half meeting with the store owner and a conference call with the Midwest Regional Canon rep.
    both guys were GREAT to work with, both agreed that i shouldnt have to go thru all this to get what i paid for.

the canon Rep is sending me HIS loaner 7D and 18-135mm lens which he said works 100% perfect. he wants me to test my 50mm and 85mm on them to find out if canon screwed up my lenses.
    if they did, he will talk with repair and make my repair a priorotiy deal and have someone calibrate them back to 100% factory spec. he said they wont give it to one of the regular guys they will have a specialist handle it and they will also clen them inside since they allowed dust to get inside of them.

The store owner basically said he will do what ever i want whether its a replacement 7D or a T2i or he'd give me a little discount on a 5D MKII
    so its in my hands to decide what i want once i get the canon rep's 7D in my hands.

i almost.. ALMOST said lets just give me the T2i and i will use the remaining money for a lens or lenses. but i think i will wait for the 7D to arrive tomorrow and test it and see what happens.

so i did what i said i would do, be firm, but calm and the store owner and the canon rep both were flexible in doing what i wanted.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    wow! finally getting towards a good ending to this crazy story
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Lestat - and everyone else that may have problems with repair and refurbishment services. If the item you purchased is still within the retailer and original manufacturer's warranty period - and you haven't voided any other stipulations of the warranty - you should immediately file a consumer complaint with the Attorney General's Office in your state. Each AG has a department dedicated to consumer complaints - and believe me - when the repair shop, retailer or manufacturer get a letter and the AG's office threating to make them show up in court they will respond and make sure you are satisfied.

I work for a nationwide electronics repair and refurbishment company. And while we don't intentionally mess up a repair, lose a return, or send out a bad replacement - it does happen once in a great while. Sometimes when the process doesn't work right (i.e. the retailer or mfg. are dragging their feet, or the customer failed to tell us about an address change) things can get lost in system. Accordingly, we get those nasty letters from AG offices all around the nation a couple of times a year. I guarantee that nothing will get these people off their rumps and cooperating with the consumer like a letter from the AG threatening legal action.

Just a tid-bit of info to help you guys/gals out in the future.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, that is one heck of an ordeal you went thru, but I'm glad your getting some closure out of this. Hopefully the loaner will be 100 percent and either they give you a new one or get yours fixed.
    i7 940/Rampage 2 Extreme/Corsair 6g Dominator/Corsair HX100W/GTX 580/SSD

Xtreme Addict
    I would still get other brand after this.. But its nice that after all this they at least try.. Lets see results, dont forget to post them.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Xtreme Addict
    and by results he means photos that are in focus
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think this says something positive for Canon that the rep is willing to work with you (even though they should have fixed it correctly the first time) and that store sounds like its above the average brick and mortar retail store.

well just got back from an hour and half meeting with the store owner and a conference call with the Midwest Regional Canon rep.
    both guys were GREAT to work with, both agreed that i shouldnt have to go thru all this to get what i paid for.

the canon Rep is sending me HIS loaner 7D and 18-135mm lens which he said works 100% perfect. he wants me to test my 50mm and 85mm on them to find out if canon screwed up my lenses.
    if they did, he will talk with repair and make my repair a priorotiy deal and have someone calibrate them back to 100% factory spec. he said they wont give it to one of the regular guys they will have a specialist handle it and they will also clen them inside since they allowed dust to get inside of them.

The store owner basically said he will do what ever i want whether its a replacement 7D or a T2i or he'd give me a little discount on a 5D MKII
    so its in my hands to decide what i want once i get the canon rep's 7D in my hands.

i almost.. ALMOST said lets just give me the T2i and i will use the remaining money for a lens or lenses. but i think i will wait for the 7D to arrive tomorrow and test it and see what happens.

so i did what i said i would do, be firm, but calm and the store owner and the canon rep both were flexible in doing what i wanted.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits.
    - Albert Einstein

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
    I think this says something positive for Canon that the rep is willing to work with you (even though they should have fixed it correctly the first time) and that store sounds like its above the average brick and mortar retail store.

until this happened i did not believe they woudl have done anything.
    his attitude as many B-n-M stores are is that they are the best, they cant offer any discounts because they dont make enough margin and that my loyalty to him meant something where as i was not feeling the loyalty, up until now, to me.

oddly enough he had a 1D MK IV sitting in his office where we were talking, i so badly wanted to grab it and play around but it was for a customer who ordered it... man oh man,,,, what a beast that thing is.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I would have grabbed it and smacked him on his head until he passed out and ran.....

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
    I would have grabbed it and smacked him on his head until he passed out and ran.....
    hahahaha nah the price tag of the jail time would have been much higher

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    hahahaha nah the price tag of the jail time would have been much higher
    but those few hours of bliss would have been well worth it!

Xtreme Cruncher
    i was gonna to tell you, that you needed to escalate the issue to higher instances, but it seems that you did it and worked pretty fine.

i would ask for a hand picked 7D and repair of the lenses
    Last edited by [XC] leviathan18; 04-09-2010 at 07:05 AM.
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it's good to hear some good news lestat, i hope it turns out okay for you. if i were you, i would get the 5D mark II since he's giving you a discount and that might be a better deal but anyways the good thing is that they are willing to help you with your problem.

lol elisha, i would have had done the same that 1D is simply irresistable
    Phenom Monsta - Gallery
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | MSI 790FX-GD70 | Dominator 1600 C8 8GB | 4770 CF | 2xWD640GB Raid0 | 2xWD1.5TB Raid1 | Corsair HX850 |Lian-Li PC-7FW
    Enzotech Luna Rev.A | 2 x MCW60 | MCP-350 | XSPC Dual DDC Res | TFC Monsta 420/360 Limited Edition

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS | Nissin Di866 | D-Lite4 | 17" MiniSoft | 53" Midi-Octa | 7" Reflector + 20º Grid | Explorer XT SE | Crumpler 6MDH

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] leviathan18 View Post
    Lestat one piece of advise, remove the comment about screwing with the insurance company, dont want their spies to have proof to deny you a claim in the future, those bastards are pretty good at not paying.

And i was gonna to tell you, that you needed to escalate the issue to higher instances, but it seems that you did it and worked pretty fine.

i would ask for a hand picked 7D and repair of the lenses

what comment? now you delete yours lol

whats going to happen is exactly this.

Today the Rep's 7D and 18-135mm (this lens) will arrive and i will immediately test it as it was delivered.
    I will then take my 50mm and 85mm and test them on HIS camera
    I will then take HIS 8-135mm and test it on MY camera

If my lenses show bad focusing I will report ot the store owner and the Rep exactly that.
    If my Camera and HIS lens show bad focusing i will report that info.

If my lenses show bad focusing on HIS camera then they will go back to canon for immediate recalibration on an expedited priority repair.

My camera is getting replaced no matter what, with all the stuck and dead pixels that were never remapped, horrible AI Servo, along with bad focusing even on my old lenses that canon never touched, that i KNOW focus perfectly, the store owner and the Canon rep are going to replace it with what ever i want, be it another 7D, a T2i, a 50D, or a 5D MKII (if i can afford the price difference).
    The store owner will even give me in store credit to put towards a 5D MK II and i can pay on it until its paid off, sort of like lay away at walmart.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Mm.. I would get that 5DMK2.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast