Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: would u guys buy custom hdmi cables

I am Xtreme
    I've shopped at all 3, Parts Express, Monoprice and Bluegenes. I've never had a problem with any of their cables. The only thing wrong with many expensive cables I've installed for folks are their prices IMHO! I'm becoming a little too partial to Dayton Cables though. I love Amazon as well. Hehehehe the $2.98 X 2 shipping was more than all four iPhone accessories I bough there. Earphone with Mic, Cover, Chargers for Car and Home. I'm shocked when those 1 cent items actually work. Bought 100' of some very nice 10 gauge speaker wire for $20, went there to get 14 gauge for 2 40 foot runs. I thought the $20 price was a typo! The sellers even tried to sell me two more rolls. I typed the price twice so yall' wouldn't think I made a typo.

I had one guy who saw the Goasting problem with my HTPC and LCD as a cable problem. "Your cheap cable is the problem" he said. I told him that it wasn't and it was; a. My ATI 3650 (via HDMI adapter out from the card) or b.My Liteon 4X BD ROM player. Or even an outside chance Power DVD 10. DVD's look and sound great via HDMI from the DVD player or the Computer's DVD or BD. So we unplugged my $4 6' Dayton cable and installed his $72 Monster 6' cable. Zero difference at all. It's your TV he said, I said no it isn't and switched to my Set-Top BD player and watched the same scene with virtually no Goasting at all in 120 or 24p modes.

Games? I can only play old games like Unreal Tournament. 3650 sucks balz for anything newer LOL! There's NO ghosting in games and no lip-sync issues either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    I know one guy that would buy them "Computurd" but he has a strange FETISH for hdmi cables
    I control my hardware
    My hardware does not control me

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by squishee View Post
    I know one guy that would buy them "Computurd" but he has a strange FETISH for hdmi cables
    Yepp and seeing the fight over Killer Nic's newest Snake Oil Product shows there's still plenty of fools and their Cash.
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
    hdmi is hdmi, like cat 5 is cat 5. Makes no difference what you buy, and there's plenty of reviews to prove it.
    Yeah, I bought final fantasy XIII and got my brother's PS3, and just needed a HDMI cable to hook up the PS3 to my monitor. Quick trip to the nearest shops and those retards were trying to sell me cables of 40 euros, because it would look so much better than cheap 5 euro cables. I left and finally found a cable at 7,50 euros. Still kinda expensive, but needed one quickly, so I just bought it. Zero problems, and cristal clear. Makes me a sad panda knowing tons of people would probably take the "professional's" speech as truth.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by RADCOM View Post
    Thats not true, monster have scientifically proven that their cables provide rounder 0's and straighter 1's thus enabling a cleaner signal and clearer picture
    1. I would give you 100 bucks if you could tell the difference between cables.
    2. How does it make you look when you reference a company that everyone knows is full of crap?

Monster does make nice products, but don't think for one second you are paying for quality. If you want to buy your snake oil go right a head.. but its been proven plenty of times a 10 dollar hdmi cable shows just as good of a picture as a 70 dollar cable from monster. I haven't bought one first hand, but I doubt you have purchased both and compared them together. Rounder 0 and clearer 1s? are you high? While it does lead to less distortion, the levels you are talking about is like the difference between Prime 95 and OCCT.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Mentor
    I dont know if this point has been made but there are Chinese spdif cable's that actually are so thin that they hamper the flow of light beam.

Besides when you hook up a super expensive and good looking A/V reviver with better looking cables it increases the bling factor and also make the overall package look good.

I have a monster hdmi cable and a GoldX optical spdif...
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Cruncher
    2. How does it make you look when you reference a company that everyone knows is full of crap?

Monster does make nice products, but don't think for one second you are paying for quality. If you want to buy your snake oil go right a head.. but its been proven plenty of times a 10 dollar hdmi cable shows just as good of a picture as a 70 dollar cable from monster. I haven't bought one first hand, but I doubt you have purchased both and compared them together. Rounder 0 and clearer 1s? are you high? While it does lead to less distortion, the levels you are talking about is like the difference between Prime 95 and OCCT.
    I might be mistaken, but I think he was being sarcastic

Xtremely Hot Sauce

Ehm, I'm fairly sure that RADCOM was being sarcastic. It's not too tough for digital equipment, especially with error-correction (or at least error-detection), to screw up the difference between a "0" and a "1". Monster's marketing claims are only true when you're comparing theirs to entirely-inadequate equipment.

For example, their ever-popular method to sell thicker gauge speaker biwire? They compare a 50' roll of #24, #26, or #28 AWG biwire to a 50' of their #16 AWG biwire. The difference is very obvious; fifty feet of #16 has a total resistance of about 0.2 ohms. Fifty feet of #28 AWG has a total resistance of 3.245 ohms. With loudspeakers especially, there's a tolerance of 5% of the nominal speaker impedance for the speaker wire. If you're using 8-ohm loudspeakers, that means that the max impedance of the wire should be 0.4 ohms; 50' of #16 wire is 0.2 ohms and thus falls within the tolerances. Upgrading to #12 wire and you're down to 0.08 ohms. You may hear a slight difference between the two, but both are adequate.

In Monster's frequent sales demonstrations, they make a lot of mistakes. One is they're running the loudspeakers off a stereo recording with a different channel of audio going to each. Second, they're not disclosing technical specs of the wire; they call theirs premium speaker wire and charge a hefty price-tag but don't disclose the actual gauge (and vary the coating thickness; two different lines of Monster-brand #16 wire may appear quite different because one has a thicker coat and thus seems more like #14 wire). Et cetera.

When considering purely digital applications, there are two things necessary. First is to stay within the engineering tolerances and the second is to have a reliable connection. Both can be done without spending $100+ on a single cable; copper-core wire is a well-known quantity and is very inexpensive; you can typically afford much thicker copper wires for the same $/ft as silver-core wire.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Musho View Post
    Yeah, I bought final fantasy XIII and got my brother's PS3, and just needed a HDMI cable to hook up the PS3 to my monitor. Quick trip to the nearest shops and those retards were trying to sell me cables of 40 euros, because it would look so much better than cheap 5 euro cables. I left and finally found a cable at 7,50 euros. Still kinda expensive, but needed one quickly, so I just bought it. Zero problems, and cristal clear. Makes me a sad panda knowing tons of people would probably take the "professional's" speech as truth.
    Sad commentary about the ethics of current salespeople. Even in this modern Information age where lies can be googled and instantly called to task, the attempts are still made to rip folks off.

It is also time for us to take responsibility for our own action/s. We have the info at our finger tips and most time/s facts are just seconds away. Naw, what you paid isn't that bad for something that was needed quickly but at least you saw first hand why companies like Monster can suck real bad.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Mentor
    then if that's the case then i apologize haha
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

I am Xtreme
    http://gizmodo.com/282725/the-truth-...inale-part-iii

""" Monster has a point about future-proofing. I have no doubt, given our testing, that Monster cables can outperform other cables in video formats that are not yet in use. What does this mean for a consumer? Does it make sense to spend $300 now on a 50-foot cable, assuming you will spend thousands to upgrade all of your video equipment around it in the next few years? Logic dictates that the answer is no.

• The only people who should buy Monster cable are people who light cigars with Benjamins. Fortunately for Monster, there are plenty of those people. They're not even suckers, they are just rich as hell, and want the best. This testing did not prove that Monster is not the best. It just proved that the best is, for the most part, unnecessary."""
    http://consumerist.com/2008/02/monst...0-markups.html

Monster responds and digs an even Deeper hole.

There is also a comment about digital cables not making a difference and that the only difference in digital cables is the price. This is simply not the case. HDMI Licensing, LLC, the group that develops the HDMI specification, has published two different cable speeds for the current 1.3 specification: Standard Speed at 2.23 Gbps, and High Speed at 4.95 Gbps, which is known as HDMI 1.3 Category 2. For more information, go to www.hdmi.org.
    http://consumerist.com/2008/02/monst...er-ripoff.html

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=181-774

* High performance cables that don't break the bank
    * Supports resolutions up to 1600p, refresh rates up to 240 Hz, and 48-bit Deep Color
    * CL3-rated jacket for permanent in-wall installations
    * ATC certified HDMI v1.3b Category 2 for speeds up to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps)
    * HDCP compliant and also supports Lip Sync audio/video synchronization
    Price; $7.00
    The problem is that in this age of the Information Hi-way, to tell a lie is foolishness! But Monster has a hard time believing! Well as long as Fools keep them in business I guess it is OK LOL!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    Ehm, I'm fairly sure that RADCOM was being sarcastic. It's not too tough for digital equipment, especially with error-correction (or at least error-detection), to screw up the difference between a "0" and a "1". Monster's marketing claims are only true when you're comparing theirs to entirely-inadequate equipment.
    I'm interested in knowing what transfer protocol have bit parity or error correction(e.g. Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, PCM, AC3, HDMI video,etc)
    Waiting for Crysis

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Celeron Gamer View Post
    I'm interested in knowing what transfer protocol have bit parity or error correction(e.g. Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, PCM, AC3, HDMI video,etc)
    Did you go to HDMI.org and check?

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

The monster cable are a rip off. Ask any tech. You pay $100 for a cable that costs the stare $6.00. Any cables with the right connections will do. Unless you have too much money.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think some of the speaker cable I run is from a 50 ft roll I bought more than 15 years ago. It's got lasting power (probably due to the sheer amount of insulation on that stuff), and I'm a cheap bastard now.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
    I think some of the speaker cable I run is from a 50 ft roll I bought more than 15 years ago. It's got lasting power (probably due to the sheer amount of insulation on that stuff), and I'm a cheap bastard now.
    I got a deal on some wire from one of the many Amazon shops.

http://www.amazon.com/Link-SW10G100Z...DateDescending

I agree with the Video review, the one saying it is not 10gu must have received a wrong order. I used my 12gu stripper and found some of the strands of wires still inside the insulation.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

To be honest, Monster cables are of consistent quality so I'd be pretty sure that they always worked. The only reason I can afford them though is I have a friend who works at Best Buy who can get them for just over what the store gets them for which is easily under twenty bucks for just about any length I need to use.

Back on topic though, without my friend working at best buy, I would be interested in custom cables if they were of good quality and competitively priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmui View Post
    To be honest, Monster cables are of consistent quality so I'd be pretty sure that they always worked. The only reason I can afford them though is I have a friend who works at Best Buy who can get them for just over what the store gets them for which is easily under twenty bucks for just about any length I need to use.

Back on topic though, without my friend working at best buy, I would be interested in custom cables if they were of good quality and competitively priced.
    thats what i was thinking so i made the thread but then some1 linked blue jean and they are the same price as what it would cost in materials to use 6a and good HDMI ends so there is no point
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by W1zzard View Post
    just buy the cheapest hdmi cables you can find, there is no difference in image quality
    you are completely right my friend
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

My HDMI cable does it all and it cost something like £3. Other HDMI cables for some reason were £22+ and they didn't even bother to gold plate the connector to make it look like it actually done something special.

Cheap HDMI cables FTW

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    My HDMI cable does it all and it cost something like £3. Other HDMI cables for some reason were £22+ and they didn't even bother to gold plate the connector to make it look like it actually done something special.

Cheap HDMI cables FTW
    i was talking about long cables at the start as those are always expensive not a 3-10', once u go over 15' the cable can get degraded
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i was talking about long cables at the start as those are always expensive not a 3-10', once u go over 15' the cable can get degraded
    There are different cables though. You'll might have some issues with 1.3 HDMI when the equipment asks for 1.3a or better. Bandwidth has to be met and a 2Gb cable can't work correctly on a device that's trying to send 4+Gb. Again, go to HDMI.org and just follow their FAQ's?

No, good 30 or etc..... still aren't at monster cable price points.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=181-812

66ft or about 20m for $55 that's still half price of a Monster $100 cable. Sure they have $149 and $179 cables as well. But at least you know they aren't trying to rip you off if need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmui

They're no more consistent than Dayton, Blue Jeans or any of the others=P Not just Monster but that goes for Belkin and the rest of them over charging for this stuff! I don't blame them if folks want to be fooled. Even if you love monster cables, look around, all are not extremely over priced.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+Cable&x=0&y=0
    Last edited by Donnie27; 07-06-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    I would buy expensive cables of the v 1.1 or 1.3 era on sale because of the new spec and i would use fiber optical to sound a Hifi,
    yet i am still using my trusty technics analog receivers from a xonar 7,1 sound source.

I agree with the general consensus with respect to short distances, but from what I've read over long distances (10-15m+) it most certainly does make a difference to have the 'better quality' type cables.

Based on my experience over short distances it makes absolutely no difference

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    Since I shop at Monoprice, I don't need anything else. It would be hard if not impossible to compete with their prices and quality.

Monoprice > *

Not necessarily true - 1.3 works with 3D, as will be proven with the Playstation 3. It just cannot do 3D in 1080p, but 1080i.
    But 3d ps3 games are all 720p from what was confirmed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast