Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a 750w power supply power a 5970

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDiaz View Post
    Point is save for another upgrade you might need
    Yes I agree, just being a smart ass. Still you can't really have enough clean power. [w/in reason] My smallest psu for enthusiast builds is 700w.
    Last edited by the finisher; 04-07-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The supply line from the PSU all the way back to the Main breaker box is just as important. Weaknesses add up. Advertisement says 850-900W for CF with 5970. @ max power draw that's about half of a good 15A circuit (new breaker) with nothing else on it.

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by texasreefer View Post
    1200w psu for peripherals and cpu + 1200w psu for graphics cards???? Are you MADD? Why should I go and buy a voltmeter to satisfy your argument? I don't have any issues with stability, heat, or power. The original question was "can i run a 5970 with a 750w corsair psu?" , and the answer is YES.
    You dont have to scream
    Its your rig and if its run fine then good for you. For me, I just learned from past experience same as Movieman too

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PaganII View Post
    The supply line from the PSU all the way back to the Main breaker box is just as important. Weaknesses add up. Advertisement says 850-900W for CF with 5970. @ max power draw that's about half of a good 15A circuit (new breaker) with nothing else on it.
    I'm in the process of running new power to my lab, not enough amps for multiple high power rigs. 40 amps, dedicated should do it.
    Last edited by the finisher; 04-07-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    1200w psu for peripherals and cpu + 1200w psu for graphics cards???? Are you MADD? Why should I go and buy a voltmeter to satisfy your argument? I don't have any issues with stability, heat, or power. The original question was "can i run a 5970 with a 750w corsair psu?" , and the answer is YES.

No, I'm far from mad but I also make damned sure I ask the right questions of the right ( read that as knowledgeable) people before I go risking $7500.00 in parts.
    As to why you should go and buy a kill a watt it's not to satisfy me but to give yourself facts not what you think.
    I feel that strongly enough that PM me your paypal addy and I'll send you the $25.00 to buy it from newegg.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey, I don't have 1 either!
    Using an 80A 240V breaker box to supply 120v 20A circuits with 10Ga wire. I kinda miss the lights dimming when turning on the receiver though.

Edit: 80A box was left over from replacing electric water heater with gas.
    Last edited by PaganII; 04-07-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: comment

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah, don't underestimate the importance of a good PSU. I can't tell you how much you need without hooking the system up to a kill-a-watt. I can tell you with great certainty that if you're going near or above 85% rated capacity, then your ripple isn't going to be as clean as it can be. DC ripple can be the difference between a system OCing well or not also.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, sorry...my bad. I agree...the right psu for the right system is essential. I have the '750 Silencer', I like it because it has a large single rail. Had it for about 2yrs, I like the 240 gt in my system because it powers from the board, although , I don't know exactly that watage that adds to the formula. Guess I need Kill-a-Wat
    Asus Rampage Extreme x58, T.R.U.E. Copper
    I7920 SLBEJ 21 x 210, 6GB DDR3 Mushkin 1683
    Win7x64, 4870X2 Quad-fire + 240GT PhysX

3dMark06 - 30,048 3dmark Vantage - 32,414

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Yeah, sorry...my bad. I agree...the right psu for the right system is essential. I have the '750 Silencer', I like it because it has a large single rail. Had it for about 2yrs, I like the 240 gt in my system because it powers from the board, although , I don't know exactly that watage that adds to the formula. Guess I need Kill-a-Wat
    I ran my dual X5680's at stock 3458 in my SM X8DA3 boardwith a GTX260 for 8 months on the same 750 Silencer you have..No issues at all, pulling app 340w..
    Same cpu's, same vid in the EVGA board at 4152 is over 650w.
    A few more fans but they only account for 20w..
    It really is eye opening and worth the $$ to know for sure where you stand.
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    True... next purchase I guess...after the laser-thermometer, those things rock
    Asus Rampage Extreme x58, T.R.U.E. Copper
    I7920 SLBEJ 21 x 210, 6GB DDR3 Mushkin 1683
    Win7x64, 4870X2 Quad-fire + 240GT PhysX

3dMark06 - 30,048 3dmark Vantage - 32,414

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Corsair 850watt powering my Wced x58 MB, 940 cpu, 6gb mem, and GTX 285 with everything OCED, stable etc.. I had a 1000 watt psu before my corsair that failed and couldnt stay stable, best way i look at it is, never go cheap, go big or go home, and get it done the right way the first time , even if that means to wait a few weeks and save up.. I am redoing my WC setup and will be running a 1000 or 1200 PSU and picking up a nice HD5850 or maybe 2 of them to run my new setup, ive spent thousands already, and its worth it to be safe then sorry IMO
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Xtreme Member
    I know a guy who runs his own PC shop, he sells all manner of components and PSU wise he sells thermaltake, hiper and some generic ones.... the MOST reliable PSU's he sells....

wait for it...

colorsIT... the cheap ones!!!!!!!
    TBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12