Thread: Memory slot problem?

Memory slot problem?

I have a recently assembled Classified E760 with windows7. It went together okay without much trouble. But sometimes there is a pixel on the screen to the right of text, say in the url bar of explorer. As I type characters, the pixle shifts to the right with each new character entered.

The memory is a Corsair 6GB DDR3 Dominator kit, PC1600. I accepted the bios defaults.

On the memory test, it shows 21 errors in slot 1. I've tested each memory stick one at a time and they pass. When I put all three in, it shows 21 errors in slot 1. I swapped slot 1 with slot 2 and tested again. I still get 21 errors in slot 1 with the two chips swapped.

Do I need to change any memory or voltage settings? Or do I have a main board problem?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhen View Post
    I have a recently assembled Classified E760 with windows7. It went together okay without much trouble. But sometimes there is a pixel on the screen to the right of text, say in the url bar of explorer. As I type characters, the pixle shifts to the right with each new character entered.

The memory is a Corsair 6GB DDR3 Dominator kit, PC1600. I accepted the bios defaults.

On the memory test, it shows 21 errors in slot 1. I've tested each memory stick one at a time and they pass. When I put all three in, it shows 21 errors in slot 1. I swapped slot 1 with slot 2 and tested again. I still get 21 errors in slot 1 with the two chips swapped.

Do I need to change any memory or voltage settings? Or do I have a main board problem?
    You could try to set vqpi to 1.25 and vdimm to 1.65v (Corsair specs).
    Not all boards work properly if there are settings on auto.
    Asus Maximus 3 Extreme | Core i7 860 | Thermalright Venemous X | Corsair Dominator GT 2000-C8 4gb Kit | 2 WD Black FALS 1 TB Raid0 | XFX HD5870 | Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Corsair HX750 Watt | Samsung 2493 HM TFT |

Xtreme Member
    Yes 1.5 dimm v will give errors on my corsair memory too...Set to 1.65 and all is well
    if that doesnt work you could also try to reseat the cpu as the memory controller is built in.
    I only suggest that as its a new build.
    Last edited by squishee; 04-06-2010 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried bumping the voltage settings up. I get exactly the same errors. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Zhen; 04-06-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sounds to me like a key logger, best to run several spyware programs and see if you can find it.

This is a fresh install of Windows 7. I doubt there's a key logger and the memtest program is booted directly from CD to run stand-alone anyway.

Concerning the memory controller on the CPU, are there any components other than traces between the CPU and the memory chips?

Those who have good results with the 1.65 / 1.5 volt settings, are you using the I7-920 or the 930? I saw some remarks elsewhere about issues with the 930.

Thanks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well I was referring to the dot in thr url bar after your characters, I have seen key loggers do that. I have also seen it on clean XP installs to, so MS might install key loggers I wouldn't put it past them

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well I was referring to the dot in thr url bar after your characters, I have seen key loggers do that. I have also seen it on clean XP installs to, so MS might install key loggers I wouldn't put it past them
    I had a similar effect years ago with a graphics card. It was back when the memory chips plugged in. That was when a 30 MB disk cost $500. Computer shops would plug in similar chips and they didn't work quite right... I don't see the random pixel anymore after unplugging and replugging stuff, so who knows, it could be a M$ thing or the OS. Whatever the OS does is subject to change if you're connected to the internet...

I updated the memtest86 to version 4.0. That was successful in testing the memory without any errors found. So I think there was an issue with the older version I had.

I'm going to let memtest run a while to be sure. I want to be sure everything is okay while I can still RMA it. I got stuck with a mainboard last time that wouldn't run more than 2GB of memory. Once bitten, twice wary.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ahh yes, sorry! I never thought to mention that, the older version or non Memtest86+ versions often have issues with new boards.

Good luck with the testing!