Thread: Zapak Digital buys into Codemasters "Its not closing its doors yay"

Xtreme Mentor

Zapak Digital buys into Codemasters "Its not closing its doors yay"

"Indian firm now owns 50 percent of the publisher

The future of Codemasters now seems secure. As sources predicted, Zapak Digital Entertainment (which is owned by Reliance Big Entertainment) has purchased a fifty percent stake in the U.K. company, Codemasters, which is best known for the DiRT, Ashes Cricket, and Grid franchises. Codemasters has received a large infusion of cash, which has to make Big Entertainment backer Balderton Capital happy."

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/18345/1/

I really did enjoy Dirt 2 but Dragon Rising was not worth the box it came in
    Coming Soon

I am Xtreme
    i got dirt 1, grid and dragon rising free with a 5850, i played about 30 minutes of dragon rising and got stuck trying to figure out all the keybinds that are not even mentioned in their "training". the only thing interesting was the intro, how they explained history, which lasted about 2 minutes. combat sucked balls though

Xtreme Addict
    I am extremely thankful that I played the demo before considering buying. It truly is sad however, because I had such high hopes for the game from the media that was released beforehand.

Also, after I played the demo, I realized why they had initially promised a demo prior to release, and then last minute pushed it far behind release.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

I am Xtreme
    It's not often you hear about a famous firm in the gaming industry being bought by one you've heard almost nothing about.
    Hope this purchase is going to bring some changes to their strategy, Codemasters has been quite disappointing recently.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

My irrational side doesn't like this, 50% of the UK's largest independent studio bought out by some giant of India, a majority stake that's going to lead to change :/

Xtreme Addict
    I thought dirt 2 was a great seller. I know one game can't sustain a company, but codemasters doesn't make that many games, so I thought there cost would be lower.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tajoh111 View Post
    I thought dirt 2 was a great seller. I know one game can't sustain a company, but codemasters doesn't make that many games, so I thought there cost would be lower.
    thats what im wondering too. their racing games while all very similar, get great metascores, and shouldnt cost that much to develop since the engine is probably reused quite effectively. i thought they were gonna be the next "need for speed" by releasing a slightly different game every year and reaping on the profits of kids who like to paint pretty colors on cars that shouldnt be on the road

why they were struggling, no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronage View Post
    My irrational side doesn't like this, 50% of the UK's largest independent studio bought out by some giant of India, a majority stake that's going to lead to change :/
    I like this, India owning more and more of their former colonial master. Just like Angola is helping portugal by investment and loans

Xtreme X.I.P.
    indian? interesting...
    hope they wont implement 50+ people group dance scenes into their games now :P heheheh

I am Xtreme
    Well they said they are coming out with Dirt 3. I honestly would have liked to see a map pack. And, there is yet to be release Grid 2. After all this I'm not sure where Gird 2 stands. But IMO it was Grid not Dirt that put Codemasters on the recognition map. It's really hard to say what will be developed next once F1 2010 is released after reading this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by omar little View Post
    I like this, India owning more and more of their former colonial master. Just like Angola is helping portugal by investment and loans
    Ya but this is normal people invest in things from both countries. But if one takes a look a indian companies own Jaguar, Land rover, East India Company and now code masters among others quite a few heavy names there...

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    indian? interesting...
    hope they wont implement 50+ people group dance scenes into their games now :P heheheh

Its needed for bathroom breaks just imagine killing a boss/achieving a goal and getting a 2 min dance break "priceless"
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Ya but this is normal people invest in things from both countries. But if one takes a look a indian companies own Jaguar, Land rover, East India Company and now code masters among others quite a few heavy names there...

impressive ... i didnt knew Tata Motors owned Jaguar and Land Rover

Tata group seems to be stretching out insanely wide! wth they even owned Tetley, 2nd largest tea manufacturer? UK drinks Tetley right?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    impressive ... i didnt knew Tata Motors owned Jaguar and Land Rover

Tata group seems to be stretching out insanely wide! wth they even owned Tetley, 2nd largest tea manufacturer? UK drinks Tetley right?
    Almost forgot about Tetley, they also own steel giant Corus Group with a full 100% stake.

But with the global downturn its been hard for Corus i hope it picks up...
    Coming Soon