Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Sells 300,000 iPads On Opening Saturday

Xtreme Member

Apple Sells 300,000 iPads On Opening Saturday

Wow Apple, you've done it again. And by that, we mean "sold an awful lot of things to an awful lot of people." Even with launching during a holiday weekend, Apple somehow managed to sell over 300,000 iPads on the first day in the United States. That's a lot of devices, and even the original iPhone didn't have as many buyers on the first day. But honestly, it's not Apple that we're most excited about here....
    http://hothardware.com/News/Apple-Se...r-Gets-Raised/

Xtreme Addict
    Am I surprised they sold this many? No. More and more people eat up whatever Apple throws out there (whether it's a good product or not).

The iPad looks cool and all, and probably has some degree of utility (mostly novelty, I think), but I couldn't justify $500 for it.

I think I'll save up and invest in an ASUS UL30JC for ~$900.

Xtreme Member
    Honestly, if I was in market for book reader, I would rather buy iPad then kindle or that sony e-ink reader or what it's called

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMpiR View Post
    Honestly, if I was in market for book reader, I would rather buy iPad then kindle or that sony e-ink reader or what it's called
    You probably have no idea what you're talking about. Try reading a iPad/e-ink under a sunlight and you will immediately understand all the difference.
    Last edited by kl0012; 04-06-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    You're probably have no idea what you're talking about. Try reading a iPad/e-ink under a sunlight and you will immediately understand all the difference.
    Then find some shade seriously it's not that difficult. The iPad has x1000000 times the utility than the kindle. And there's even a kindle app on the iPad! Spend $489 on DX or $499 on iPad?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tdream View Post
    Then find some shade seriously it's not that difficult. The iPad has x1000000 times the utility than the kindle. And there's even a kindle app on the iPad! Spend $489 on DX or $499 on iPad?
    As a e-book reader only it has no value over traditional e-ink e-books which also cost much less.

Xtreme Addict
    Kind of expected. It's a nice product, although I wouldn't have much use for it.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    You probably have no idea what you're talking about. Try reading a iPad/e-ink under a sunlight and you will immediately understand all the difference.
    QFE.
    eBook readers are much better at what they are doing in many ways. Not to mention the price.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    or wait a few months, get a 10.1" tablet or netbook and install a pixelqi screen and you have more functionality than both put together for ~$499
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Life's Replay
    No it doesn't. It's impossible to read in the sun, it's far too heavy to use for a longer period of time as it strains your wrists, it's still an LED screen meaning it'll strain your eyes far more than the very clever e-ink of the Kindle, it's more expensive (buying an iPad without 3G makes it even less attractive), etc. etc. etc.

By the way, here's a good summary of why anybody who buys the iPad clearly has no idea what they're doing. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36179255/
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Addict
    iPad = iTurd
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Member
    Did they really sell those Ipads, or just stuff them in the distribution channels? It's easy to fake those numbers.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    By the way, here's a good summary of why anybody who buys the iPad clearly has no idea what they're doing. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36179255/
    Interesting that they said fingerprints are a problem. I've seen sites saying the exact opposite. I guess it depends on how oily your hands are.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    "There's a sucker born every minute".
    And 300,000 of those gathered today

Quote Originally Posted by nossy23 View Post
    Did they really sell those Ipads, or just stuff them in the distribution channels? It's easy to fake those numbers.
    You mean the PR/marketing guys at Apple would twist reality? No way!!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nossy23 View Post
    From what I read, it's the real number sold (Apple Stores + Best Buy); among those, 150k are pre-orders.

The idea of a tablet is enticing, but it's hard to imagine a practical usage for this thing. My ASUS UL80VT can do a LOT more in exchange for some extra weight and shorter battery life. Plus, I can use it on my lap; while this iPad looks incredibly uncomfortable to use for a long time.

Xtreme Addict
    The buyers don't want to do more than it standard does. Doing more than that, is not important. So guys, stop whining about other devices doing more than the Ipad. There just isn't any direct opposit of the Ipad in this kind of formfactor.
    As long as there is a market for the Ipad, there's nothing wrong with the product. I don't believe people paying 500 dollars for a devices only because it's Apple.

I myself will wait 2 or 3 generations, and then decide to go for e-ink or an Ipad (probably I-ink).
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Addict
    Basically you can only use it to surf (some) websites. That is not enough for me to pay that much money. Make it 200 Euros and I might be thinking. Oh, and don't forget multitasking, kthxbai.

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    iPad = iTurd
    iPad = iPhail
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    I don't believe people paying 500 dollars for a devices only because it's Apple.
    Sorry, but... LOLWUT?!?

I'm quite sure you never really met an Apple fanboy. You're an incredibly lucky person because there are millions of them around the planet.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Addict
    There are also people who buy Apple devices who are not Apple fanboys.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    There are also people who buy Apple devices who are not Apple fanboys.
    But they aren't the ones who pre-ordered iPads.

Xtreme Member
    I mean the device is cool and stuff, kinda great to sit there on your couch, all comfy and **** and browse away so nicely. Sure, you can just get a laptop and do the same (or more) but is not as seemlessly as with an iPad.

And for those people saying they it's stupid to spend $500 on a device like this... What do you think the rest of the world says when we buy $600+ video cards? Only to replace them in 1-2 years? So please... keep those ignorant comments to yourself.

That being said, I don't plan in buying one yet. I think there is still a lot to work with first, add a webcam for example? I shall wait for the next revision!

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Like any apple product, they sell "lots," at least on launch day. I thought the estimated number was 600k-700k units to be sold?

Anyways, give this thing a month and people are going to get bored of it and actually want a useful device. It'll go the way of appleTV, not b/c of lack of support, but just lack of functionality and cost.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    Greatest Apple product is iPhone. Other is just junk. Like iPad? God damned who needs it?! Its same as iPhone, but can't call and its huge! iPad OS is way limited in using, better get laptop with Android/Windows. And ppl believe that they need this junk ...
    Game Rig:
    Intel Core i7 920 (3.0Ghz) || EVGA X58 Classified (E760)|| 3x2 Gb A-DATA 1333Mhz Triple Channel + 3x2 Gb Patriot 1333Mhz Triple Channel || WD500GB + WD750GB + Hitachi 1TB || PowerColor Ati Radeon 5850 1024MB GDDR5 CrossFireX|| Chieftec 1020W || Acer 24" P243 (1920 x 1200) || Razer Copperhead Blue || Microsoft Reclusa || SteelSeries Seberia 7.1 || CoolerMaster CosmoS

Water cooling:
    WC HeatKiller 3.0 || 2x 120mm Koolance || Koolance RP-980BK || Koolance nozzles

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemax View Post
    From what I read, it's the real number sold (Apple Stores + Best Buy); among those, 150k are pre-orders.

The idea of a tablet is enticing, but it's hard to imagine a practical usage for this thing. My ASUS UL80VT can do a LOT more in exchange for some extra weight and shorter battery life. Plus, I can use it on my lap; while this iPad looks incredibly uncomfortable to use for a long time.
    First speculations said that up to 700,000 had been sold, including pre-orders.

Link: http://mashable.com/2010/04/04/700000-ipads-sold/

And here we are, calling 300,000 ridiculous, which it of course is.

I definitely see the emotional appeal of the product, which is what Apple's marketing strategy has always been about anyways. This isn't to say that the hardware specifications aren't worthy of praise (10+ hours of battery life isn't shameful), it's just that there are some very obvious shortcomings that wouldn't need to exist, if it weren't for Apple's deliberate strategic choices.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDiaz
    And for those people saying they it's stupid to spend $500 on a device like this... What do you think the rest of the world says when we buy $600+ video cards? Only to replace them in 1-2 years? So please... keep those ignorant comments to yourself.
    Oh please, are we going to ignore the iPhone --> iPhone 3G --> iPhone 3Gs cycle and pretend as though it won't happen again with the iPad? Just watch, Apple will 'revolutionize' communication by OFFERING A CAMERA (*amazement ensues*) right before Christmas.

Even if you claim that you're aware of this, as you do, and that you're going to 'wait it out', there's a slight difference between 300,000 sold iPads on the first day of sales and a few geeks buying expensive video cards, especially when an Apple product's life cycle is significantly shorter than any video card could ever hope.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Xtreme Member
    Apparently Apple is suppressing reports that some stores actually have no line-ups at all... they want everyone to think Apple stores are lined up around the block which is not exactly the case.

300K is very low, predictions were 600-700K+..... not looking good.
    Project||Oroborous
    Sponsored by MNPC Tech

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast