Thread: HR-03 GTX and Spitfire cooler = tri sli 480

Xtreme Member

HR-03 GTX and Spitfire cooler = tri sli 480

when i look at the thermalright cooler pics i think its possible to have

a tri sli thermalright cooled 480 cards

the HR-03gtx would be on the 1 and 3 card and the spitfire cooler would be on the 2 card

the HR-03GTX can be mounted with the finned portion hanging off either the front or over the rear of the card so it isnt a problem

the 1 card would have the GTX cooler on the rear
    and the 2 card woudnt be a problem since the cooler is hanging on the side.

soo what do u think.

UPDATE:thermalright said that they are developing new VRM heatsinks for the GF100 cards
    and as u can see here http://www.ocia.net/reviews/trhr03gtx/page4.shtml rear heatsink mount = cooler than front cooling mount
    Last edited by owned666; 04-03-2010 at 04:39 AM.

Xtreme Member

Xtreme Member
    I think you should be able to get away with two aircooled GTX480s, but three is really pushing it. You are going to have huge amounts of heat being dumped in your case, and there will be a large hot spot around the GPus that will be impossible to cool. I'd recommend going with water for the tri-sli route.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    I think you should be able to get away with two aircooled GTX480s, but three is really pushing it. You are going to have huge amounts of heat being dumped in your case, and there will be a large hot spot around the GPus that will be impossible to cool. I'd recommend going with water for the tri-sli route.
    Didn't nVidia use a trisli aircooled rig to show fermi? With the sled demo?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musho View Post
    Didn't nVidia use a trisli aircooled rig to show fermi? With the sled demo?
    Yes but those were with stock coolers, which exhaust air out the back of the case. The Thermalright coolers exhaust air back into the case. Note that (AFAIK) no one has tried this before but just looking at where the hot air from the heatsinks goes it looks like tri-sli on aftermarket coolers is a no-go, the exception being if you had a case with a huge fan on the side (like the A380).
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Member

there will be 3 fans on top exhausting hot air out

2 fans from the bottom left and right are the intake fans

look at the black x58 4 pci-e board
    the first card will have the cooler reversed
    the second card will have the spitfire
    and the third card will be on the last slot and the cooler will also be reversed there are 3 slots available and the cooler will take 2 slots without the fan

there will be very good airflow so it isnt a problem

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by owned666 View Post
    there will be 3 fans on top exhausting hot air out

2 fans from the bottom left and right are the intake fans

look at the black x58 4 pci-e board
    the first card will have the cooler reversed
    the second card will have the spitfire
    and the third card will be on the last slot and the cooler will also be reversed there are 3 slots available and the cooler will take 2 slots without the fan

there will be very good airflow so it isnt a problem
    Sounds like you are going to have great airflow. If you have good airflow, and everything fits, I don't see why you couldn't do it.
    Regards,
    Chris

Xtreme Member
    Sounds like you are going to have great airflow. If you have good airflow, and everything fits, I don't see why you couldn't do it.
    and i will be the first ever to do something crazy like this

never seen someone use aftermarket air coolers in tri sli before

btw how much do modders charge to lets say create 3 fan intake "area" on top ?

i cant do it
    when i mod i act like a monkey high on cocaine.
    Last edited by owned666; 04-04-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Um you have to consider vrm temps as well most little heatsinks battle to cool the 280's vrms i have trouble even on my gtx260's with little heatsinks dotted all around them i have 2x watercooled core only and rest is air cooled ie vrm memory.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    Um you have to consider vrm temps as well most little heatsinks battle to cool the 280's vrms i have trouble even on my gtx260's with little heatsinks dotted all around them i have 2x watercooled core only and rest is air cooled ie vrm memory.

yeah i know
    thermalright said that they are making new vrm heatsinks for the 480 cards