Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Blue on Black

Xtreme Member
    Did u remove the Capacitors on the PCIe cables??

Xtreme Member
    Little tip for cutting sleeve/heatshrink, use the cutting blade on your wire strippers, it cuts heatshrink perfectly straight and won't cause sleeve to unravel when you cut it as well. Scissors were the worst thing for cutting heatstrink/sleeve for me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by -TYPHOON- View Post
    Did u remove the Capacitors on the PCIe cables??
    Capacitors? Umm... I didn't see any... I removed some heat shrink and some black cylinder underneath that looked like really tough to cut heat shrink that was melted into the wires. Didn't see anything that I recognized as a capacitor though.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Liderc View Post
    Little tip for cutting sleeve/heatshrink, use the cutting blade on your wire strippers, it cuts heatshrink perfectly straight and won't cause sleeve to unravel when you cut it as well. Scissors were the worst thing for cutting heatstrink/sleeve for me.
    Wire strippers? Hmm... I'm pretty sure I have a pair of those in the garage somewhere. I had some cheap kitchen scissors and then a small keychain sized swiss army knife. Horrible tools. I was going to buy some small sharp sturdy cosmetic style scissors like ladies would use to trim eyelashes or something.

Really what I need to do is to borrow the heat shrink cutter at work. Exactly precisely cut heat shrink all to exactly the same length.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolas View Post
    Capacitors? Umm... I didn't see any... I removed some heat shrink and some black cylinder underneath that looked like really tough to cut heat shrink that was melted into the wires. Didn't see anything that I recognized as a capacitor though.
    Yeah.. black cylinder = capacitor I believe.

I don't have one of these SS PSUs yet but.. that's what it is. You shouldn't remove them. I think there was some thread somewhere around here about removal / how to sleeve them.

They're basically there to keep the PCIe voltage steady. You want.

EDIT: Here's that thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ht=strider+cap
    and a quote: "dont remove these caps, jopnnyguru showed taht its BAD"
    Last edited by Antioch; 04-15-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
    Yeah.. black cylinder = capacitor I believe.

I don't have one of these SS PSUs yet but.. that's what it is. You shouldn't remove them. I think there was some thread somewhere around here about removal / how to sleeve them.

They're basically there to keep the PCIe voltage steady. You want.

EDIT: Here's that thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ht=strider+cap
    and a quote: "dont remove these caps, jopnnyguru showed taht its BAD"
    Nope I know that kind of capacitor. Pretty sure what I removed was just extra-annoying heat shrink and not a capacitor.

Here's the relevant quote from that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Kanzy View Post
    Silverstone Strider is acturally a good choice for full modular, it's the new Strider Plus series who has the problem
    I have a Silverstone Strider, not a Strider Plus. So no bulky capacitor on the cables, it's all done properly inside the power supply instead.
    Last edited by Bolas; 04-15-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Replacement power cord for the Silverstone ST1500 arrived. I've now repaired the bad wire and have a functional (as far as I know) and fully sleeved 24-pin power cable. Yay! Now to find something to power up with it....

Xtreme Member
    I would argue that it being done on the cable does NOT mean it's improper. I have a very nice SeaSonic X750 that makes buzz when hooked up to high-powered graphics card that go into 3D mode.

I've got a SilverStone Strider Plus on the way and I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that the cap will alleviate this issue. If not I'll mash it all up with a sledge hammer Office Space style and move on with my life. Tired of these modern, low quality, solid-sate electronics. Nothing but trouble.

Bolas - good luck with your adventure. It seems you've had your share of issues, but I admire your attitude. Also, good for you to sort out your motherboard and PSU issues before you installed your waterblocks and loop.

It's taken me a while to sit down and read your whole log (I'm one of those that does a quick check every day for pretty photos ). I usually find posts with lots of text a bit offputting, but have to say, I enjoyed reading your saga with my morning coffee. Can't wait to see your finished system, but do take your time. It seems like you're enjoying yourself

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
    I would argue that it being done on the cable does NOT mean it's improper. I have a very nice SeaSonic X750 that makes buzz when hooked up to high-powered graphics card that go into 3D mode.

I've got a SilverStone Strider Plus on the way and I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that the cap will alleviate this issue. If not I'll mash it all up with a sledge hammer Office Space style and move on with my life. Tired of these modern, low quality, solid-sate electronics. Nothing but trouble.
    Sorry, I don't mean to imply that it isn't a good design, just not how I would want it due to wanting to sleeve the cables. There might be good reasons for having the capacitor on the cable instead of inside the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Bolas - good luck with your adventure. It seems you've had your share of issues, but I admire your attitude. Also, good for you to sort out your motherboard and PSU issues before you installed your waterblocks and loop.

It's taken me a while to sit down and read your whole log (I'm one of those that does a quick check every day for pretty photos ). I usually find posts with lots of text a bit offputting, but have to say, I enjoyed reading your saga with my morning coffee. Can't wait to see your finished system, but do take your time. It seems like you're enjoying yourself

I'm glad you are enjoying the reading. I would have done pictures the whole time and swamped everyone with the pics, but the camera battery gave out just as I was starting the bulk of the work and it took my wife most of the weekend to find the charger for it. I don't think she was looking very hard for it LOL.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Add an Auzentech Auzen X-Fi Forte 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card and Audio-Technica ATH-A900 headphones to the list of materials. Should be a nice upgrade from laptop speakers and built-in sound with $10 headphones...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Motherboard is supposed to be shipping today via UPS ground from Gigabyte (California) back to me (Nebraska). Which means that it will show up middle of next week, due to the four day transit time. Right in the middle of my business trip. Ah well, at least I'll have something to look forward to when I get back. Well, other than seeing my wife and my daughter again.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good news... two packages today. Audio-Technica ATH-A900 headphones showed up, along with... the Gigabyte motherboard! Quite a nice surprise. I should have more pics soon. I've been sick all week, but hopefully I'll be well enough to do some more computer building soon. It's nap time now, though.

"I eat motherboards"
    About the plug on the psu, take a file and run down the edge of the plug that interferes with the case. I had to clearance mine just a tad to make it fit properly.
    杰森
    I can picture in my mind a world without hate, a world without violence.
    And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OMG!! I'm typing this from my NEW COMPUTER!! It works! And so does at least one of the monitors! I took some pics, but it's bed time, so I'll have to post them tomorrow. Wiring is done (except for cable ties) but I haven't even started on the custom water cooling -- it's all just stock air cooling to make sure that the basics work. So when I get back from my business trip, I'll have even more work to do to get it cooled and such. But hey... it's nice that it works! SOOOO much better than not getting past POST and seeing a strange error code 89.

BTW, nice idea to file down the offending plug, I didn't think of that... I ended up just going with the unscrew and method. Was a tight fit with the gasket in place.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Congrats Bolas!!! Always a great feeling and huge relief when it fires up for the first time. I don't frequent this section very much but will be watching this one.....awaiting pics!!

More & more very expensive, quickly obsolete parts!!

Keep up the excellent work Bolas. I saw your thread in anandtech, and registered here to follow your build. I got to say it is a thread that stimulated me! Building a rig like yours is like being in heaven. Would love to see how much you can push your beast cpu!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm now regretting my video card choice slightly. The card I want isn't out yet is the problem. If I went with the Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 Toxic 4GB edition, it comes with the adapter to connect the third monitor, so I wouldn't still be on the waiting list for an adapter after over a month. And I could just use the improved stock air cooling and clock speeds, with the larger frame buffer to help with the Eyefinity setup. Then, the water cooling that I have set up (a triple and a single 120) would be more than enough to handle the cpu and mobo. It would solve the cooling problem, the frame buffer problem, and the interconnect problem, all for about the same amount of money that I otherwise would have spent. Heck, it even matches the color scheme better. Alas, the card STILL isn't out yet, so I guess no point in that.

I talked to Provantage on the phone today. Adapter's now been pushed back to ship on May 5th and the sound card on May 15th. That'll work, I suppose. Provided they actually hit those dates and don't just push them back again.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Got a package in the mail recently. April 23rd, to be precise. The outer box was soaked. So wet it was falling apart. Luckily, the inner box was in some kind of plastic bag (aka, choking hazard for you toddler parents out there) and so it didn't seem to be damaged much. Yay, headphones!

Opening up the box reveals the glorious dual cans.

Maybe now it's time to sleeve the case wires connecting the audio to the front panel?

Ran out of black SATA sleeve, so I didn't do the colors exactly as I wanted them. I got carried away with sleeving SATA cables and sleeved some that I didn't really need, which I regret now. Still looks good though.

Time to finish the power supply too. Modified the anti-vibration gasket with some of my wife's scrap-booking scissors. Shhh... don't tell.

That seems to fit OK.

Even looks decent once installed, although the gasket makes for a very tight fit when combined with the power entry module that also doesn't quite fit.

Time to sleeve the case fans, also.

Remove the screws and the connector....

Hmm... that tab is going to be a problem.

Taping the ends of the connectors together so that they don't snag during sleeving. Almost makes you think that I know what I'm doing... almost...

Sleeved most of the way back into the fan.... and the tab breaks off. Of course.

Three case fans, three broken tabs. Go figure.

Had to rotate the case fan so that the wires were routed properly. They used to exit near the middle of the motherboard instead of near the edge of the motherboard.

Which of course meant that I had to remove the sticker and re-orient it so that it isn't sideways in the finished computer.

Hmm.. that fan cable looks awfully nice going next to the SATA hot swap back plane. Maybe I should sleeve that too?

Hmm... but how? One connector is molded on to the wires.

Maybe if I go from the other end and just leave that end attached.

The short distances are too small to sleeve, so they will get heat shrink only. Plan it out.

Pop the caps on the SATA power connectors.

That looks decent for the lengths.

There, one done.

Uh-oh. I didn't check something.... one is backwards, the keys don't match! Time to re-do it.

Ok that's finally done correctly. Now where the heck did I put the other SATA power connectors? Fifteen minutes of looking frantically on the desk and floor...

Ah yeah, silly me... I put them on the board so that I would remember to orient them properly.

That's better, SATA power cable is now sleeved. And this time with the connectors pointing the proper direction.

This will work.

Time to put in the Blu-Ray drive using the tool-less quick-release bay holders.

There, done.

Screw the SSD into the top SATA bay hot swap tray.

And the Caviar Black into the second SATA hot swap tray.

Wire up the SATA data cables to the back plane.

Route the cables for the front panel audio, power, USB, 1394, and other connectors and switches.

Add power and data cables to the optical drive.

Time to reinstall the motherboard into the case.

Last edited by Bolas; 04-28-2010 at 04:21 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Then put the cpu back into the socket.

Not too bad. Note to self, remember to add in the hybrid silent pipe. Still missing one of the screws, Gigabyte forgot to send it with the motherboard as promised. Guess I'll email and ask for one.

World's worst application of thermal paste. The thermal paste does NOT like me today.

Hmm... Intel plus sleeving = fail.

I can't allow that in my system, even temporarily. Time to add heat shrink to fix Intel's sleeving job. Ah, that's better.

Now to try out the "install a cpu cooling solution with motherboard already in case" secret doorway.

Wires still need more cable management, but are shaping up.

Uh-oh. What happened to the bracket that I use to install the cpu cooler? Oh thank goodness, Gigabyte shipped me the same board back... the one that had my bracket stuck to it with double-sided tape. WHEW!!

Screw that sucker down.

Time to start connecting cables to the motherboard.

24-pin power time.

Hmm... can't see the bottom colors.

Fan them out some, that's a bit better.

Time for 8 pin power to motherboard.

And route it to the top.

Front panel stuff gets wired and played around with.

SATA data cables next, for the hot swap bays.

And don't forget the SATA for the optical drive.

Ok, looks decent.

Then the PCIe power cable.... but wait, where's the... dang... graphics card still needs installed.

That won't do at all.

Make sure I have the wires where I want them before installing the bulky graphics card.

OMG these screws are friggin' stripped! Can't get them to screw into the PCIe card slots.

Note to self... when using "tool-less", if you have to force it together with a tool... there's a small chance that you MAY be doing something wrong...

I know... I'll swap these with some of the ones that aren't stripped out. And struggle some more. Finally!

Connect the power to the graphics card now.

Big picture doesn't look too bad for wiring.

Heck even the power supply looks sexy. But that red shroud has got to go.

What's this? Dang red LED on the motherboard spoiling my aesthetic. Blah!

But that doesn't matter... it powers up!

I'll fix the goofy colors with some sweet water cooling later.

Did I mention I installed the memory? Well I did, trust me on this.

There's a beautiful sight. The Gigabyte boot up screen. So much better than an error code 89 and a blank screen.

Now to install windows. This looks promising.

Hmmm... it sat at that screen for like ten minutes. That can't be right. Maybe it wasn't happy that I plugged the keyboard, mouse, and ethernet in after booting up. I'll try rebooting.

Hmm.. same dang screen for another ten minutes. Maybe I should go to bed and see what happens overnight?

Nevermind, there it goes... finally...

Almost there... stay on target...

Here we go.

And.. the desk top!

Which of course means that we have to patch.

Twenty-something patches later, with reboots between each one... Let's see how the system is doing with stock cooling and default settings in BIOS.

Hmm... looks like maybe I should have sprang for either a SATA III SSD or a RAID-0 SSD array. Ah well, 7.3 is still decent, I suppose. Beats the heck out of my previous computer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I also downloaded and installed the latest Catalyst drivers, as well as installed the Blu-Ray packaged software that came with the Panasonic Blu-Ray burner. And I even installed the 90-day free trail of Norton Internet Security. So that I can surf safely and try out the new system a bit.

Next month, I plan to work on the water cooling system now that I know that it runs without it. Stay tuned for further updates.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wow those secret door is so amazing

Intel Xeon W3520 4200MHz HT
    Foxconn Bloodrage
    3x2Gb Patriot Viper II DDR3-1600 6-6-6-16
    MSI GTX480 M2D15 850/1700/2000
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Corsair TX950W
    Stacker 832 w/ Dual Loop Watercooling aka *Bong Build*
    NEC 2690WUXi
    Loop 1: Laing DDC1-T -> Watercool HK 3.0 LT -> Thermochill PA120.3 -> Bloodrage NB -> EK Res 150
    Loop 2: Laing DDC1-T -> EK-FC GTX480 -> Thermochill PA120.2 -> EK Res 150

*New* CM 690 II Advanced Watercooled

*Coming soon* Stacker 832 Rebirth!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    It's kind of nice because I forgot to put the cooler on the motherboard before installing the motherboard into the case. Also makes it easier to reach screws that would otherwise be blocked by the cpu cooler if I can install the motherboard first.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    My thoughts exactly. No more removing the board because the backplate popped off!!

PS: @ Bolas Nice build, and beautiful family! Thanks for sharing all of this!
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, now I've run into a bit of a snag. I can't get the connector off of the pump power cable so that I can sleeve it. Bleah. Maybe some small needle-nose pliers will do the trick?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast