Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magny-Cours effect : Supermicro packs 96 CPU cores in a 2U case

Xtreme Cruncher

Magny-Cours effect : Supermicro packs 96 CPU cores in a 2U case

Continuing with its aggressive expansion plans, Supermicro launched its servers and for the Magny-Cours i.e. Opteron 6100 Series processors. Among a series of different form factors, we noticed one that looked a bit special.

Supermicro's eight Socket server for AMD's Opteron 6100 seriesIn the past two years, Supermicro started to put blade motherboards into 1U rack chassis and internally connecting them with a high speed bus. Given the hot plug nature of the motherboards in question, downtime was non-existent if one of motherboards would go awry - a nightmare for the server admins. With the Opteron 6100, Supermicro launched a "2U Twin2 system" - no less than four hot pluggable motherboards with two sockets each. Long story short, this setup will support 96 processing cores and no less than 1TB of DDR3-1333 of system memory. Charles Liang, President and CEO of Supermicro stated that "The introduction of quad-channel DDR3 on these new 8- and 12-Core servers doubles the memory capacity and can accelerate memory performance up to 66%, especially for large data sets."

According to AMD's specs, bandwidth per processor is 42.66 GB/s which would mean that this 2U can offer a staggering 341.25 GB/s of aggregated bandwidth. Unfortunately, that is what DDR3 at 1.33 GHz can provide in four DIMM per Socket mode. The truth, though, is somewhat different. By clocking the memory controller and the L3 cache at only 1.8 GHz [well-known painful spot of K10/10.5 architecture], AMD crippled its own bandwidth to "just" 28.8 GB/s per socket, and this server will offer you a grand total of 230.4 GB/s. All in all, these are quite impressive figures, even with this self-castrated processor.

Supermicro's power supplies are some of world's best self-manufactured 80 Plus Gold certified 1400W power supplies. Just like everything else, the whole setup is being manufactured in Supermicro's facilities in San Jose, CA. In a way, it is interesting to see how a progressive company such as Supermicro concluded that off-shoring the manufacturing to the Far East doesn't pay off in the long run - at the same time when its competitors moved even the design teams to the Far East or just hire Supermicro or a similar company to create a product for them.

Naturally, this high-density system cannot offer GPU support, however there are 12 3.5" Hot-Swap HDD Bays [three per node]. In order to connect the four motherboards, you can opt for a 40Gbps QDR InfiniBand connection.
    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...a-2u-case.aspx

Notice the power supplies in these servers .MC is proving to be one extremely power efficient chip.
    Last edited by informal; 03-31-2010 at 04:08 PM.

NooB MOD
    Hmmm, at 2.1GHz that's 201.6GHz of crunching power in one machine - more than ten times mine
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Notice the power supplies in these servers .MC is proving to be one extremely power efficient chip.
    Nice copy paste there.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    link?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Banned
    about 10k for a system like this...
    should be very productive .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    We own two of three of these setups, just older mobos (two are Istanbul based, one is Nehalem based).

They are NICE for HPC Cloud Computing, and the PSUs are about as efficient as ANY I have ever used.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    Nice copy paste there.
    Sorry,forgot the link
    http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...a-2u-case.aspx

Xtreme Member
    10 years from now, this system will go the way of quad pentium pro.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteryOperated View Post
    10 years from now, this system will go the way of quad pentium pro.
    Wow. Hardware gets outdated and outperformed. Who'd have thought it?
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Thats a sweet bit of engineering

Wonder if SuperMicro could be tempted to expand further into the desktop market with PSUs. Brand power + reliability would serve them well
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    Hmmm, at 2.1GHz that's 201.6GHz of crunching power in one machine - more than ten times mine
    You do realize that although if you add the total Ghz of all of the processors to get your mathematical number, it is NOT equivalent to a 201.6Ghz processor, right? Not by a VERY, VERY long shot. Think about this...If some 3D process took a 2Ghz computer 5 minutes to perform a task, your "201.6Ghz" computer would not do the same work 100x faster(3 seconds by your calculations). There's dozens of reasons why your math doesn't work for real actual performance gains. Not to mention that all cores are not created equal computationally, and you will have certain limitations of the memory performance.

But don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a 201.6Ghz computer, but I fear that will not happen in my lifetime. There's a reason Ghz hasn't moved up in the last 5 years, just more cores. As frequency goes up there's limitations that mankind has not been able to solve, get around, or cheat our way through.

I am Xtreme
    ^per clock performance has also increase substantially too, 3ghz today is not the same as 3ghz K5. even before DDR2 came out we had to start useing theoretical number, aka 2500+, even though it was only 1.8ghz (i think, or maybe it was a little faster)

todays 3.4GHz Phenom II core is probably as fast as 7-8GHz would be from 1999, the only way to really tell is to use a very old benchmark, o like SuperPi, and downlock the crap out of a chip to match speeds from back then.

It's funny trying to do that, too. Modern chips are some times unstable at such low frequencies. hehe The late 90s was a fun time, wasn't it? Back when every year or so you could nearly double the clock speed of your previous processor. It was a lot more obvious to see the difference back then too, since performance in general was marginal compared to today.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Particle-

I was just discussing the observation you mentioned yesterday. I was wondering if the reason why processor performance was so much more "apparent" back then compared to today is:

1. Programs were much more efficient in the 1990s because there was very limited RAM, HD space, etc. Today's processors can remove those inefficiencies via the CPU's branch predictor and other such optimizations in the CPUs of today.
    2. Back then hard drives and other storage media could dish out data about as fast as the CPUs could feasibly process it. By today's standards, and with the advent of SSD it has become very apparent that hard drives are a MAJOR hindrance of performance for the computer.
    3. Combination of the above.

With the advent of SSD and the new architectures being released by Intel and AMD, I have been wondering if we are hitting a point where CPUs are so fast that the average user really doesn't need all of the performance they can buy at the store. I'm seeing more and more computers that are not being replaced because that dual core processor is plenty fast enough. Typically, when more processing power is available via Intel or AMD, software engineers find a way to make consumers "need" that power. But, there's a limit to how much we can "need" at any given time.

What computer user (not an xtreme user) would have Outlook open checking email, sync their iPod via iTunes, chat online, surf the net, and play a game of solitare simultanously? Even doing all of these things simultaneously wouldn't max out a dual core computer. Are we looking at a possible "pullback" of the computer industry because we've exceeded our own desires?

Of course, this is all just a theory I have questioned. I know, this is really deep thinking, but that's how I roll.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    Particle-

I was just discussing the observation you mentioned yesterday. I was wondering if the reason why processor performance was so much more "apparent" back then compared to today is:

1. Programs were much more efficient in the 1990s because there was very limited RAM, HD space, etc. Today's processors can remove those inefficiencies via the CPU's branch predictor and other such optimizations in the CPUs of today.
    2. Back then hard drives and other storage media could dish out data about as fast as the CPUs could feasibly process it. By today's standards, and with the advent of SSD it has become very apparent that hard drives are a MAJOR hindrance of performance for the computer.
    3. Combination of the above.

With the advent of SSD and the new architectures being released by Intel and AMD, I have been wondering if we are hitting a point where CPUs are so fast that the average user really doesn't need all of the performance they can buy at the store. I'm seeing more and more computers that are not being replaced because that dual core processor is plenty fast enough. Typically, when more processing power is available via Intel or AMD, software engineers find a way to make consumers "need" that power. But, there's a limit to how much we can "need" at any given time.

What computer user (not an xtreme user) would have Outlook open checking email, sync their iPod via iTunes, chat online, surf the net, and play a game of solitare simultanously? Even doing all of these things simultaneously wouldn't max out a dual core computer. Are we looking at a possible "pullback" of the computer industry because we've exceeded our own desires?

Of course, this is all just a theory I have questioned. I know, this is really deep thinking, but that's how I roll.
    I'll add the tl;dr for you

tl;dr: We don't need more than 640k of ram.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by josh1980 View Post
    I have been wondering if we are hitting a point where CPUs are so fast that the average user really doesn't need all of the performance they can buy at the store.
    i think thats about it. no one really needs more than a 2.0GHz duel core cpu to feel like everything is fine, but then the average user only checks email and plays flash video games on AOL still. people who are tech savy probably have a cell phone or laptop for the basic needs, and use consoles for any gaming. then theres the small handful of us left who know that your pc can decode video, or do serious gaming, and how to get the most out of it with a good solid cpu, which even up to today, still are not strong enough (basically gaming not being very good at scaling still)

Xtreme Addict
    I can imagine in the future when process technology allows, we will have everything on one chip. CPU, GPU and main memory all on one die.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I wonder if I could get 6 more MC's?
    Although I think SM would take my name off the rolodex if I aked for that 2U setup!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I can imagine in the future when process technology allows, we will have everything on one chip. CPU, GPU and main memory all on one die.
    the future of which market though?

what sets products and standards is really not determined by technology. if we have CPU, GPU, and RAM all in one die, for 50W and fits in a nettop, why should we stop building a machine that can consume over 1000W and play crysis 5 maxed out? the answer is we wont, since PCs size and price really have not changed for like 20 years. they all are about 20 to 50lbs, and all go for about 500 to 4000$. (depending if its mATX or full ATX, but all qualify as a desktop)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by
    [B
    tl;dr: We don't need more than 640k of ram.[/B]
    Well if they worked their butts off once in a while, no we wouldn't.

Xtreme Member
    i never ever believe something on the 1st of April

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    This already exists in mobile space (see OMAP3, for one example). And in desktop space, this integration trend is also going on for a long time. The last two examples are memory controllers and IGPs on CPU die.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabu View Post
    This already exists in mobile space (see OMAP3, for one example). And in desktop space, this integration trend is also going on for a long time. The last two examples are memory controllers and IGPs on CPU die.
    yeah and in terms of power
    the people who made the psp's GPU said the gpu power of the ps3 will be in the psp after 2 or 4 years which i hardly believe but i never believed something as small as a stick of gum(tegra) can run a 1080p video

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    the future of which market though?

what sets products and standards is really not determined by technology. if we have CPU, GPU, and RAM all in one die, for 50W and fits in a nettop, why should we stop building a machine that can consume over 1000W and play crysis 5 maxed out? the answer is we wont, since PCs size and price really have not changed for like 20 years. they all are about 20 to 50lbs, and all go for about 500 to 4000$. (depending if its mATX or full ATX, but all qualify as a desktop)
    There's no such thing as a lasting standard in the computer industry. I can't even begin to imagine what a desktop PC is going to look like twenty years from now. About the only thing that I can't see changing is our desire for a decent monitor size. I can't see myself and many others for that fact, trying to make due with some small ten or elven inch screen on a desktop. I'm looking forward to sub 10nm process technology.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabu View Post
    That's one nifty device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast