Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RWD Performance on the cheap?

Xtreme Mentor
    GTO:Turning Radius 18.1 '
    mustang: Turning radius 16.7 '
    350Z: Turning radius 17.7'
    1990 thunderbird: Turning radius 18.3'
    2006 ford GT Turning radius 20.0' < WTF O_o ?
    audi Rs4 Turning radius 18.2
    camero Turning radius 20.0'
    Louts exgie Turning radius 16.4'

turning radius doesn't always equal great handling.

only matters to get in parallel parking lol
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post

lol how about this one?

1996 Ford Bronco: Turning Radius 17'

Probably helped OJ in his slow speed chase but does not mean that it handles 15% better than a Ford GT.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Member
    Pickup a used WRX and call it a day. AWD FTW!

Xtreme Member
    Here was Mustan '09(new) for 20k, http://bit.ly/aRJpk8
    Here is one '07 GT for 17,500 http://bit.ly/ceUX9j

You can see on ebay what can be bought for that kind of money. http://bit.ly/bkx1h5

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post

i had meant handling and turning radius
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i had meant handling and turning radius
    You would be suprised what detroid is putting out these days. Ive seen a few fstock (unmodified) mustangs stick it to bmws, multiple mazdas and a few mitsu evos at the track. Here is the kicker, they were doing this in highly technical autox sessions where a cars handling and nimbleness comes in to play big time.

If you own anything of high performance category maybe you would like to keep up with my ancient solid rear axle car. Im very sure you would be surprised.
    My pc: |||Abit AL8-V||| P4 631@4.6ghz||| 4x512 PDP pc2-4200@4-4-4-12 2.0v|||1x250gb WD 16mb sata||| 6600gt 500/1000@ 610/1240||| TDK dvd burner||| watercooled cpu and gpu and custom moded case.

Project Hard Lined

Ker-Pow !
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarking11 View Post
    You would be suprised what detroid is putting out these days. Ive seen a few fstock (unmodified) mustangs stick it to bmws, multiple mazdas and a few mitsu evos at the track. Here is the kicker, they were doing this in highly technical autox sessions where a cars handling and nimbleness comes in to play big time.

If you own anything of high performance category maybe you would like to keep up with my ancient solid rear axle car. Im very sure you would be surprised.
    With that I would imagine its more down to the driver rather than the car. Its all down to how they are driven specially in a highly technical course.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC]thewildblue View Post
    With that I would imagine its more down to the driver rather than the car. Its all down to how they are driven specially in a highly technical course.
    The problem here is that depending on class these highly technical courses pull over 1.2 lateral g's easily. Handling and nimbleness is key here. The vehicles to compete are chosen by drivers based on merit & budget. These are not race teams, nor are they sponsored. The last 3 or 4 years its been a mustang running r compound tires as champ. The other cars run the same type of tires, this is grass roots motorsports. Your limited in what you can run. And two cars being completely stock will not compete in the same class either.

I ran a few autox courses and my driving skills are no where near as good as others, but I still kicked a few more seasoned drivers in the teeth as far as timing was concerned. I was running overinflated pzero nero m/s with 55 profile. Had to overinflate them as they were bending around like jello. I ended up melting the rubber on them, after a few sessions my tires were complete junk as when they cooled down they were hard as a rock.

I am not the driver.

check this out, in cokk pit video from the 09 season (intentionally misspelled as its filtering the word)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfOjGDXw1h8

this is outside but from previous season
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DsdX9PybR8&NR=1

notice the number of mustangs? that is not a mustang meet there. They are not part of a club, they corner carve to compete, and they are not limited to mustangs either. In the track near me they opened up a road-course last year, I am sorry I did not attend, but my buddy did, mustangs were outnumbering other cars on opening day too. Its not a coincidence. No matter what top gear says, solid rear is not a crutch. If you look at the scoreboard on top gear, the roushprepped gt mustang did their track as fast as a RS4 audi. Got news for all, roush prepped mustangs they reviewed was the basic model from roush. The full track pack version is much better & yet it still does not have a watts link witch basically cures the only issues with the solid rear, hopping around uneven surfaces. My car now has one....

What im saying is that its a good chasis, and has ample power. Lots of aftermarket & great bang for the buck.
    My pc: |||Abit AL8-V||| P4 631@4.6ghz||| 4x512 PDP pc2-4200@4-4-4-12 2.0v|||1x250gb WD 16mb sata||| 6600gt 500/1000@ 610/1240||| TDK dvd burner||| watercooled cpu and gpu and custom moded case.

Project Hard Lined

Xtreme Member
    There is no such thing as performance on the cheap. Performance = Cash + Cubic Inches. Hence the term Cubic Dollars. Ask the guy that set the speed record with the Ford GT. I bet they stuffed that thing with Cubic Dollars to get it moving that fast.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner133 View Post
    There is no such thing as performance on the cheap. Performance = Cash + Cubic Inches. Hence the term Cubic Dollars. Ask the guy that set the speed record with the Ford GT. I bet they stuffed that thing with Cubic Dollars to get it moving that fast.
    yes but there is such a thing as a good starter car with good performance base & learn how to drive hard in it. As for cubic dollars, the old saying gotta pay to play comes to mind. Fully agree.

Project Hard Lined

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarking11 View Post
    yes but there is such a thing as a good starter car with good performance base & learn how to drive hard in it. As for cubic dollars, the old saying gotta pay to play comes to mind. Fully agree.
    True, my first oen was a 64 Dodge. When I bought it the original big block 318 had been junked for a small block 340. I grenaded that one Saturday night in a street race. Car sat around the rest of that year. A friend stumbled on a slightly used 426 Hemi. Turned out it was from Petty Enterprises and the slight use was 500 miles at Darlington in 67. Block was fine, still had dry slump oil system. But had one bad head. Got it up and running with a pair of Hollys on it. Lasted a couple years then it grew. Added 8-71 below the carbs, then it needed tubs and a cage. Was fun for a couple years, then it grew again BDS 8-71 with injection and methanol. Great street car but took two to start it. Finally got it set so one person could start it. Took it to the dream cruise. Some doctor made an offer I couldn't refuse. Still working on the replacement should have it ready for next years dream cruise.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234