Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RWD Performance on the cheap?

Xtreme Addict

Question RWD Performance on the cheap?

Humor me. Whats a fun car with RWD someone in the US can get used for under 18k or less without tons and tons of miles on it. A full sedan isn't sporty. Has to be a coup, hatch, sport back, etc. Can't be old. Has to be build within the past 4 to 6 years. And it can't be a piece of garbage that will fall apart, so no "mechanic's cars". (crank walking, transmission issues, gasket issues, electronics issues, etc) Has to be decently made. Someone told me you can't find something like that in the US, so they're not going to bother looking. I'd like to prove them wrong.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 04-01-2010 at 01:32 AM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?

Ker-Pow !
    MX5, best fun Ive had in a banger. Mine is 1999 and you can go sideways everywhere. Ive clocked 130mph with it still pulling. Very cheap to run and tyres are a pittance which useful when you spend so much time going sideways...

I did my first autosolo in mine a few weeks ago, I won my class but also on 1 section got the fastest time overall.

So I know you want new ish so look maybe at the later mk2.5 or mk3s.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is the Clio V6 available in the US?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I don't understand why this question would be asked, or there would be any discussion of the availability of such a vehicle.

Pick your price point and spend it on a Mustang.
    05-07 Mustang GTs with 30-50K miles fit the bill perfectly.

I call April Fools on this entire thread, nobody in the land of Mustangs and Camaros would say you can't get a high performance RWD car.

P.S.- no, we don't have Renault in the USA.

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Hmm, Autotrader has ONE of these within any distance for under $18K.
    Still, that's one more than I thought it would have when I saw this suggestion!

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    I don't understand why this question would be asked, or there would be any discussion of the availability of such a vehicle.

Pick your price point and spend it on a Mustang.
    05-07 Mustang GTs with 30-50K miles fit the bill perfectly.

I call April Fools on this entire thread, nobody in the land of Mustangs and Camaros would say you can't get a high performance RWD car.

Not all of us want a 4,000 lb lumbering beast of a car

edit: turns out the car is only in the ~3300-3500lb range. So roughly equal to the Genesis coupe. Is it the Camaro that is the 4000lb car?

MX5 is another great suggestion, very peppy car.
    Last edited by [XC] gomeler; 04-01-2010 at 05:06 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Not all of us want a 4,000 lb lumbering beast of a car

edit: turns out the car is only in the ~3300-3500lb range. So roughly equal to the Genesis coupe. Is it the Camaro that is the 4000lb car?

MX5 is another great suggestion, very peppy car.
    Its a bit bigger than the mustang, so its heavier. 3800 some is the heaviest. But I think its 426/420 is more than adequate to make up for that. Personally, I don't like its style. But I'm a Saloon guy... I'm done with my coupe days...they all are starting to look the same anyways. That Genesis doesn't look much different from the older Tiburon or any other sporty coupe out of Asia....

That said, I think the Mustang or Genesis would be equally fun on the road. Just don't be an idiot like the guy that I saw nearly smash into another car head on with his Genesis Coupe because he wanted to floor it into his turn out of the parking lot. He did a 180 then nearly propelled himself into an on coming sedan. Really smart.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by don_xvi View Post
    On the whole thats probably a good thing.

Xtreme Member
    Stewie, how you like your G8? Pm me if you have to so I don't thread jack but I'm looking for a future daily driver and have thought about the g8s. Let me know.
    i7 940/Rampage 2 Extreme/Corsair 6g Dominator/Corsair HX100W/GTX 580/SSD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Humor you?
    Store bought car is like a store bought computer?
    It is a shame there are no cars like the Sunbeam Tiger (Maxwell Smart's car in Get Smart) or Triumph TR8 (aluminum block V8).
    There is an unusual amount of hand built kit Cobras around here. I'd like a '95 convertible Mustang GT.
    But for a 5 year old car? 2007 Mustang convertible with about 50K miles would easily fit your requirements.

Xtreme Member
    Rear wheel drive sports cars for under 18k?

Why... that sounds appropriately like a Sterling kit car! Then again, it's a VW Superbeetle with a Porche engine in it and much sleaker looks.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

c[_]
    I have a 1986 Toyota SR5 4x4 Pickup with turbo 22R in it.. its fun.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    that price will kill you looking....

but anyways here is a few

Dodge Magnum

BMW 545 i

Infiniti G35

BMW 325 i
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Addict
    Somebody has an interesting idea of.....inexpensive.....BMW.....
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Somebody has an interesting idea of.....inexpensive.....BMW.....
    u can get a nice 02-05 for under 18k now
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Look in the car classifieds at LS1tech.com. You can get an absolute beast for 18k without too many miles, I wish I had that money right now. Probably find a forced induction 98-02 Camaro/Firebird with less than 50k miles with 500+ rwhp.
    There are some ridiculous deals if you look around, like a 408ci Trans AM for 13 grand that has over 600rwhp on the bottle.

If you want something newer, there are plenty of LS2 GTO's and LS1 Vettes that will fit the bill.
    Last edited by BeavermanA; 04-01-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    System: i7 920 | Sapphire 5870 | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | 3x2GB Dominator GT 1866 | Corsair 800D
    Cooling: EK Supreme Classified Red cpu block | DD 5870 block | EK X58 Classified Mobo block

Xtreme Addict
    A GTO might come in under $18,000 at about 4-6 years old. Can't think of a easier way to get into a 400hp car on the cheap. Might even be able to find a Corvette in that price range if you don't mind a C5 instead of the current model.

Xtreme Addict
    The only way I'd ever buy a BMW, is if were made in Germany, personally. But I know he's into jap cars. I like European more my self, but there's a few good jap cars I really like. The RX8 although a gas hog, I think is a good car and you already know I love lancers, skylines and the GTR. Toyota used to make great sport cars... I'd like to see them get back into that. I like the wheel arches on the RX8 and I thought the paint job on a black one I saw on display was superb. I know its not RWD, but still...
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 04-02-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Member
    i heard toyota is going to make a new RWD sports coupe, it shares the same frame, but thats about it, with the new subaru AWD sports coupe. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spi...ts_coupe-spied

looks like its gonna be pretty promising from both each comapny's standpoint.

i no longer use a laptop.

Do You Owe Me Heatware??

In VA:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/vehicl...000-miles.html

Probably take an offer for 14k or under, spend the extra 6k on a turbo/supercharger and supporting mods professionally installed for the ls1 and you'll be making 450+rwhp on a very low mile car.

The LS1 Camaro/Firebird/GTO and C5 vettes are all great for relatively cheap modern cars that can put down some serious power without spending a whole lot on aftermarket parts/labor. And they definitely aren't too shabby stock either, will spank 99% of other cars on the road, even the newest models.
    System: i7 920 | Sapphire 5870 | EVGA X58 Classified 760 | 3x2GB Dominator GT 1866 | Corsair 800D
    Cooling: EK Supreme Classified Red cpu block | DD 5870 block | EK X58 Classified Mobo block

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by CCUABIDExORxDIE View Post
    i heard toyota is going to make a new RWD sports coupe, it shares the same frame, but thats about it, with the new subaru AWD sports coupe. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spi...ts_coupe-spied

looks like its gonna be pretty promising from both each comapny's standpoint.
    I think the Subaru version of that car will be more awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    The only way I'd ever buy a BMW, is if were made in Germany, personally. But I know he's into jap cars. I like European more my self, but there's a few good jap cars I really like. The RX8 although a gas hog, I think is a good car and you already know I love lancers, skylines and the GTR. Toyota used to make great sport cars... I'd like to see them get back into that. I like the wheel arches on the RX8 and I thought the paint job on a black one I saw on display was superb. I know its not RWD, but still...
    The RX8 is RWD. Just had that piddly 1.3l Wankel, shocked they didn't strap a turbo to it like the RX7 or go to a 3 rotor 2.0L.

Xtreme Addict
    Oh really? I thought it was FWD... lol.

And I don't know what state he lives in. He's someone I game with in steam... and now that I think about it... I can't remember which friend on steam said this... dammit. lol
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 04-03-2010 at 09:41 AM.

I am Xtreme
    You can get a C5 coupe in that price range.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Yeah a used Camaro, Corvette, Firebird, Mustang... something like that.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast