Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • MCR 320

20 95.24%
  • MCR 320-S

1 4.76%

Thread: New to LC!!

New to LC!!

I have read many threads even before i joined but now i feel i needed to ask more specific question with my current requirements...

Was planning on getting XSPC RX360 rad, but now decided to go for MCR320.
    (Thanks to millertime359 for the help)
    But not sure to go for MCR320 or MCR320-S.

My options:
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0311612

or

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmcqupo3xbl.html

Read the skinnee's review, which looks like MCR 320 is the choice but wanted to check voice of this community

Will be using 3xGT 1450 RPM fans

I will be building only a CPU loop.
    CPU block :EK supreme HF

Pump: Not sure - MCP 350 or mcp 655-B ?
    I would like to keep it streamlied like - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=138 - really awesome project..

or even more compact(if at all possible ) and simple.

Might go with a Y-junction instead of the reservoir for now..

Setup rad some thing like:
    http://martin.skinneelabs.com/img/SwiftechMCR320.jpg

Will be using 1/2ID and 3/4 OD tubing..

Not sure how many and what type of compression fittings required.
    Need suggestions/advice..

Thanks in advance..

P.S: I apologise for the long post and noobish questions,but had to voice my concerns.

MCR320 is an awesome rad for the price. If your going for a compact setup, I would go with the MCP 350 with a XSPC or EK top (or whichever DDC top).
    Last edited by rootz0r; 03-31-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Xtreme Member
    i would go with the MCR320,Danger Den/Laing DDC 3.25 -12V 18 Watt Version with EK X-Top V2 G1/4,i would go with either a T-line or with an iandH Stealth 175mm or 225mm reservoir or you can go with an EK reservoir too,i would go with primochill tubing and for the fittings get 8xBitspower 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing couple of 45 1/2" ID 3/4 OD and 90 degress 1/2" ID 3/4 OD rotaries or compression fittings,use distilled water and don't forget to get PTnuke or Silver coils and then you are good to go

edit:Sorry for posting the wrong fittings i didn't notice that i posted it 1/2" id and 3/8 OD,i corrected it now
    Last edited by seeka12; 03-31-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    *****:Hi
    Me:Hi,how old are you?
    *****:14,U?
    Me:I am 15,where are you from?
    *****I am from USA,U?
    Me:I am from Egypt
    *****:what?!!!!,you must be joking
    Me:why?
    *****: Don't you ride camels and have no forms of Technology ?
    Me:LOL

Xtreme Guru
    Don't worry about the stackable rad, just get the regular one. If this is your first watercooled build, get a res and don't do the t-line. t-lines are hard to bleed.

Those fans work great on the Swiftech rad.

As far as pumps go, if your going to get a D5(MCP655) get the vario and not the fixed speed one. Either type of pump will work great.

If you wish to go with comp fittings, you need to get the fittings that match your size tube. Seems you are looking at 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing, you want the matching comp fittings.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Miller is correct. T-Lines work well when placed at the best location in your loop. It can be pretty hard to get it in the right place at first!
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    +1 for the single radiator. Skinnee showed that the Stacked version does not really lower your temps.

Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Thanks for the replies...

I dont stay in US, so need to ship all the items(considering shipping is also affordable but not the customs/duties).As of now my brother is there in US for few days and stays near a micro centre and they have only the stack version .If i have to go with the non stackable version i will have to buy from sidewinders.Just trying to get cheapest but best possible option. So just checking if non-stack is that much better than stack since when i ship the latter it will most probably come to the same cost as the former.

Quote Originally Posted by rootz0r View Post
    MCR320 is an awesome rad for the price. If your going for a compact setup, I would go with the MCP 350 with a XSPC or EK top (or whichever DDC top).
    Was going for a 1/2ID so getting MCP 350 and then a top would increase the overall cost, but from reading the many thread i just realsie D5 does a good job also.

Quote Originally Posted by seeka12 View Post
    i would go with the MCR320,Danger Den/Laing DDC 3.25 -12V 18 Watt Version with EK X-Top V2 G1/4,i would go with either a T-line or with an iandH Stealth 175mm or 225mm reservoir or you can go with an EK reservoir too,i would go with primochill tubing and for the fittings get 8xBitspower 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing couple of 45 1/2" ID 3/4 OD and 90 degress 1/2" ID 3/4 OD rotaries or compression fittings,use distilled water and don't forget to get PTnuke or Silver coils and then you are good to go

edit:Sorry for posting the wrong fittings i didn't notice that i posted it 1/2" id and 3/8 OD,i corrected it now
    Order the Durelene PVC tubing 1/2in x3/04ID hope fully there is nothing wrong with them.

Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    Don't worry about the stackable rad, just get the regular one. If this is your first watercooled build, get a res and don't do the t-line. t-lines are hard to bleed.

Those fans work great on the Swiftech rad.

As far as pumps go, if your going to get a D5(MCP655) get the vario and not the fixed speed one. Either type of pump will work great.

If you wish to go with comp fittings, you need to get the fittings that match your size tube. Seems you are looking at 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing, you want the matching comp fittings.
    I might be going for a D5, but why variable speed? how will it help?
    I dont think i will be playing around with speeds much.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    Miller is correct. T-Lines work well when placed at the best location in your loop. It can be pretty hard to get it in the right place at first!
    was really hopeing to reduce the cost , might try some DIY reservoir and try it for a leak test. If i works well nad good or go for a new reservoir

Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    +1 for the single radiator. Skinnee showed that the Stacked version does not really lower your temps.

He also mention that he has to do some extensive testing on the stack version to get the best result. Not sure if the testing is done or not.

The MCR320-Stack just doesn't work as a sandwich, but I've got some exploratory testing to run as I know the extra surface area of the stack will drop the loop deltas, its just a matter for fan configuration.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinay View Post
    Thanks for the replies...
    He also mention that he has to do some extensive testing on the stack version to get the best result. Not sure if the testing is done or not.
    I don't recal ever seeing the extra testing. I can't find the MCR320S on the Microcenter web site, but if the price difference is not too much, and since your brother is going to be near a MicroCenter, you might as well pick up the stacked version and disassemble it. Then, you can either use one and have an extra or use the two in a series.
    Last edited by H2O; 03-31-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Guru
    The problem that was found with the stack is you need alot of higher speed fans for it to give you the results of 2 separate rads. It just wasn't worth it as it got really thick with 3 layers of fans and 2 layers of rads.

The D5 can get pretty loud at high levels. The fixed speed is also fixed at speed 4 where the vario can go to setting of 5. It is more flexible. I had the fixed speed myself and sold it for a vario for the noise reason. It's money well spent for a D5.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    The problem that was found with the stack is you need alot of higher speed fans for it to give you the results of 2 separate rads. It just wasn't worth it as it got really thick with 3 layers of fans and 2 layers of rads.

The D5 can get pretty loud at high levels. The fixed speed is also fixed at speed 4 where the vario can go to setting of 5. It is more flexible. I had the fixed speed myself and sold it for a vario for the noise reason. It's money well spent for a D5.
    come to think of it ...... since Scythe Gentle Typhoon been released ..... i've not seen anyone tested on MCR320 stack with it ....

with that high rpm .... i wonder what temps might reveal?

Xtreme Mentor
    This is a poll? From a 8 post user. I see no value in this. The qustion asked is standard help me, I need to learn.

And it's a poll?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    I don't recal ever seeing the extra testing. I can't find the MCR320S on the Microcenter web site, but if the price difference is not too much, and since your brother is going to be near a MicroCenter, you might as well pick up the stacked version and disassemble it. Then, you can either use one and have an extra or use the two in a series.

Never thought of that.. Thanks a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    This is a poll? From a 8 post user. I see no value in this. The qustion asked is standard help me, I need to learn.

And it's a poll?
    There is option between 2 rads.If the poll was not present many would type which they prefer but not why. This would lead to a lot of post and very helpfull info like the ones posted would be lost among them.One will have to search among the big thread for releavant info. So by creating a poll the thread remains clean and see the wat is prefered and helpful info is easily viewed.

Hope you understand..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gary is a WCing saint, buy Sidewinder.

Didn't vote your poll, only 2 choices, seems poll not necessary, that's OK though.
    Last edited by the finisher; 03-31-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

I am Xtreme

Never thought of that.. Thanks a lot..
    I'm pretty sure that is for 1 radiator, not the complete stack setup as shown.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    Gary is a WCing saint, buy Sidewinder.

Didn't vote your poll, only 2 choices, seems poll not necessary, that's OK though.
    I will be buying most or evertyhing from there.Heard lot of good abt him.Have been saving up for ordering a whole loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is for 1 radiator, not the complete stack setup as shown.
    Thanks for letting me know.I think in sidewinders they sell it as a single rad and not the stack. and looking at the price diff i think its better to go with Sidewinders(if lucky ,customs do tend ignore some boxes )

I need help with fittings. i am planning on compression fitting of bitspower matt black , but what i am not sure is will in need any angle fittings esp from EK-Supreme-HF.The lopp is going to be pump>rad>cpublock>reservoir>pump.
    The Rad,pump and reservoir will be outside the case(CM690).
    So would i need and angular fittings?if so which ones.

Xtreme Guru
    I need help with fittings. i am planning on compression fitting of bitspower matt black , but what i am not sure is will in need any angle fittings esp from EK-Supreme-HF.The lopp is going to be pump>rad>cpublock>reservoir>pump.
    The Rad,pump and reservoir will be outside the case(CM690).
    So would i need and angular fittings?if so which ones.
    There really isn't a set number of angular fittings we can tell you. It depends on how you set your loop up, size of your comp fittings, etc.

Your best off getting more than you think you will need though as you are overseas and shipping will be bad if you are missing one.

In your case I would probably order 4 45s 2 rotary 90s and 1 regular 90.

You want to sit down and do your best to see your layout though. If your not making any tight bends on any of your connections, you don't need that many. If your trying to install all this on a box on the desk, you might need more.

I better first decide on a layout and then get the fittings.But i have a feeling that the pump and res and rad setup will most probably be like Kibbler's Project Capella.

Xtreme Guru
    IIRC you won't be needing angle fittings with basic Supreme HF, but you might need one of them with current versions of Supreme HF full copper/full nickel. Eddy here on forums told that it will be fixed in next full copper/full nickel revision, probably in 4-6 weeks. I'm too lazy to seek for url of thread where i read that