Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project "White cold" finished

Back from the Dead

Project "White cold" finished

As some of you know, I had a good friend of mine build the "ultimate waterchiller" for my upcoming DP evga build.
    Well, to be exact, I put the initial order in a LONG time before we even knew there would be a W555 (9 months ago! ), but still - this is part of my new and final main PC that is FINALLY gonna last longer than a few months without upgrades

Built by august123 (the guy with the 4 stage cascade), this unit is a true piece of art. Incredible craftmanship right there, you'd have to see it with your own eyes to fully appreciate it

You can find pictures he took during the building process here.

And this is what it looks like, put in its place:

Features & Specs:

- White powder-coated custom AL chassis with integrated Aquaero in the Front
    - Danfoss NL10MF compressor, designed to hold a water temperature of ~10C below ambient (no condensation for me, thank you) with up to 1KW heat load
    - integrated 8l water tank
    - integrated Dual MCP355's for awesome head pressure and good flow
    - fully controllable via PC (Aquaero Software Suite), lots of monitoring options
    - very quiet due to intelligent noise dampening solutions

What can I say - I'm really happy now

What I still need to complete my mainrig:

1. An evga SR-2 motherboard
    2. A SMALL (!) case that can fit the motherboard, as I don't need any rads, pumps, loads of HDDs etc in there
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Cruncher
    very cool!

version 2.0
    very professional , clean chiller . Incredible level of workmanship .

6 temps to monitor ?

Back from the Dead
    Thanks guys.. this really is like a dream come true.

here's a load shot for ya:

Good temps, but could be even better I think. I may have to re-check the Heatkiller's mount.
    I'll also try to get down to 1,4V to stay in the "safe zone"
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Looks nice. Curious how the compressor is cooled though, it appears to be isolated in that sound deadening box. I'd say it'll need to vent some heat off the shell but maybe there is enough gas flow to keep it completely cooled by suction gases. Cool project, look forward to the SR-2 results

Xtreme Mentor
    Are the chiller temps adjustable and is 4.4ghz the best you can do?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]= View Post
    I'd take auto-regulation in relation to ambients over "adjustable" any day. Having a chiller that prevents condensation on its own without constant attention is a dream.

Good stuff, jcool. Xtreme cooling the WCG way
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Looks nice. Curious how the compressor is cooled though, it appears to be isolated in that sound deadening box. I'd say it'll need to vent some heat off the shell but maybe there is enough gas flow to keep it completely cooled by suction gases. Cool project, look forward to the SR-2 results
    I don't know a lot about how it all works, but yeah, he said something about the compressor being cooled by the suction gases
    It's R134a. I got a temp probe on it too (he put them everywhere ) and it never goes over ~45C which is very low, I believe.

Temp range is fully adjustable via Aquaero Software. 4,4Ghz seems to be the max stable clock if I do not want to exceed the Intel spec (Intel says max. 1,4V for 32nm) - I don't want to jeopardize a pair of CPUs THAT expensive

Quote Originally Posted by artemm View Post
    I'd take auto-regulation in relation to ambients over "adjustable" any day. Having a chiller that prevents condensation on its own without constant attention is a dream.

Actually I wanted it to self-adjust, problem is, the Aquaero just can't do that. I do have a pretty constant room temp (~25C) and close to zero humidity thanks to all those machines, so running 15C water is pretty safe. I might have to adjust to 20 in July and August, but that's about as high as I need to go. Still working on making it adjust itself.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Incredible build man.... VERY nice project and as you said a true work of art! My dream has been to have a 24/7 phase cooled system since 2005 and it hasn't happened yet so I know how it must feel to have this so close. Congrats man!

I'd like to see a battle between w555 builds!

Dave will PWN all!
    Heatware | Ebay:Crazymullen | If you are unsure what Fhqwhgads means You are REQUIRED to go HERE| Powered by Centon Ram

IMHO Waste is a computer going to a landfill having done actual computations less than 90% of it's life. 90% of the computers powered on right now are idle or powered off; what a waste! [/B]

Is it a coincidence that your wifes pc is called Uranus?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by artemm View Post

I'm just saying if computer is @ 100% load all the time no real concern with 50C load should be able to drop another 20C. Really sharp build thought jcool how much did that end up running you?

Xtreme Member
    I'm just saying if computer is @ 100% load all the time no real concern with 50C load should be able to drop another 20C. Really sharp build thought jcool how much did that end up running you?
    I had a cruncher on chilled water for a while and I could get water temps really low under full load. You're right, if the machine's at full bore, you could go lower and not risk condensation, but what if you're away from home and the internet goes down/something happens to BOINC and the CPU gets frozen?

The beauty of chillers that can reliably stay above dew point is they're hassle free. Eventually I'll try to build one when I get enough knowledge about how best to approach it. But, for now, jcool's living the dream... and he doesn't need a to dedicate a shed for cooling like naja has
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

I am Xtreme
    The Awesome

of the Strawhat crew.
    very nice! congratulations!
    it does look very clean

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Just awesome....

For a case, I would think you could ask the same gentleman that built it to do a custom case for you, that matches your cooler? I would think that would be pretty simple, and you could even handle drilling for the standoffs yourself?

In any case, I think we know where the ruling cruncher rig is going to come from once you get the "magic board" in your hands. Kudos!

All of this stuff is making my little farm look pretty meager.... I already have Da' Goosey breathing down my neck.... I'm going to have to get more power efficient, improve my mass cooling with a more radical approach, and get some more hardware in here...... Maybe I win the powerball lotto tomorrow night? IDK....

Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Back from the Dead
    The GFX card that is idling at 16C now, will it be fine at -5? I don't think so

Thanks for all the nice words guys, I too am still impressed how great this works.

Bob, I have considered this option, but it will take a looong time.. PC cases are way more complex to manufacture than that chiller case.

Fhqwhgads6680, been there, done that
    In fact I ran about 1,5 years 24/7 on phase change. Actually my unit with case will be for sale soon, just can't ship it overseas - too heavy

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    The GFX card that is idling at 16C now, will it be fine at -5? I don't think so
    Thats what gpugrid is for

Back from the Dead
    HD5870's still don't work on the Grid. They tried to make it work, but couldn't. Right now, the only thing it can run is Milkyway... and I can't spend my power on that.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    HD5870's still don't work on the Grid. They tried to make it work, but couldn't. Right now, the only thing it can run is Milkyway... and I can't spend my power on that.
    Thats the biggest thing that has me on the fence with upgrading from my 295's. I like the 5870's but don't seem to scale greatly on high res with AA and AF cranked and other the other hand 480s can fold plus scale greatly but power and heat Milkyway seems to be a questionable cause.

Back from the Dead
    Huh? I have no trouble at all gaming at 1920*1200 with 8x AA and 16x AF.. what do you mean it don't scale

Xtreme Mentor
    Eyefinity wise 5760x1200

Back from the Dead

You'd need 3 cards for that, then it does scale fine

Xtreme Legend
    Just how small do you want to go with the 2nd box?

I'm usually quite envious of the equipment you run but in this particular instance I'm Very envious

Just perfect, the power, the look, the automation, all coming together in one glorious solution...Enjoy my friend, enjoy

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post

Just perfect, the power, the look, the automation, all coming together in one glorious solution...Enjoy my friend, enjoy
    That was the intention - something to last me a long time
    I will enjoy this, don't worry

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Agreed, have you measured the power draw of the water cooler in any way yet? I'm kinda intrigued and know little or nothing about water chilling; especially for a 24/7 application.
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - November 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Back from the Dead
    Yeah, I have - it draws about 42W with fans off, compressor off (= mostly the 2 pumps, MCP355 draws 18W a piece)
    ~60W with fans on, compressor off
    ~450W compressor on

Runtime of the compressor depends on heat load, ambient temp, and target water temp. Right now, with a Hexacore CPU running BOINC at 4,4Ghz it runs for about 1/3rd of the time.

So right now, average power draw is at about 200W which is pretty good IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast