Thread: Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD question

Xtreme Enthusiast

Intel X25-M G2 160GB SSD question

Hi guys

Im gonna get this HD this week its my first SSD I saw this review on Bjorn 3d heres the link
    http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1660&pageID=7448
    That talks about SSD OPTIMIZATION should I do what said here with my intel SSD like Disabling Superfetch,Disabling PreFetch,Disabling Pagefile ect?
    I thought super and prefetch made the OS faster.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by malik22 View Post
    Hi guys

Im gonna get this HD this week its my first SSD I saw this review on Bjorn 3d heres the link
    http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1660&pageID=7448
    That talks about SSD OPTIMIZATION should I do what said here with my intel SSD like Disabling Superfetch,Disabling PreFetch,Disabling Pagefile ect?
    I thought super and prefetch made the OS faster.

i have 2 80gb.

i simply disabled:

autodefrag and automatic restore point

other think are only a waste of time....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ok thanks I was wondering about superfetch and prefetch cause they make windows 7 and vista faster with my normal HD.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Im a newbie to SSD I know this HD has trim but I dont know what trim is I was wondering i trim works on a vlited windows 7 like the one I use or does it need a specific windows feature to work.

I am Xtreme
    Trim should work fine under a vlitedW7 - make sure you're using the ms ahci driver.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I will get trim on the cd that comes with the intel SSD correct or can I dld it from intels website?and do I install trim before the OS or when im in windows?
    Last edited by malik22; 03-31-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    any help on my last question.

I am Xtreme
    The drive should already be trim capable - just make sure when you intall your os on it you set the bios to ahci to get trim commands from the mobo disk controller to go to the drive.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok thanks SteveRo so I wont need to install any sort of intel driver when I get into windows right?and also I will have 6gb of ram would it be ok fo me to disable pagefile?

I am Xtreme
    I haven't run with page file on for ages - 4GB+ is great, 6GB on w7? should be fine.

Xtreme Monster
    Pagefiles is important, do not disable it, instead set the recommended required, no more no less.

I am Xtreme
    I have two x58 w7 x64 machines, each with 6GB memory - I do not run pagefile on either one.
    One of these machines - for close to 2 years, no page file - no problem.
    I do not edit video or raw format images - either of these - perhaps other apps might require a page file.
    My opinion - terrible waist of SSD space if page file is not needed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thats why I was asking I dont edit vids either do you disable superfetch and prefetch with your ssd steve?

Xtreme Member
    I do edit videos using Sony Vegas Pro 9. I can tell you that when I had the pagefile enabled the program thrashed the hell out of the SSD. I simply disabled the pagefile and the program and all subsequent video editing has contined flawlessly. I have run into no other problems since disabling pagefile.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok thanks do you also disable superfetch and prefetch?

Royal Administrator
    Well, some people believe that disabling Prefetcher can prolong the lifespan of your SSD. Disk Defragmenter and Superfetch will not be used on SSDs when SSDs are detected by Windows.

I disabled Disk Defragmenter and Superfetch, but not Prefetcher.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRo View Post
    The drive should already be trim capable - just make sure when you intall your os on it you set the bios to ahci to get trim commands from the mobo disk controller to go to the drive.

Where can I find the ahci setting in the bios I have a Dfi X58 mobo?

I am Xtreme
    I have gigabyte mobo's, for me it is under "Integrated Peripherals", then "ICH SATA Control Mode".
    Someone with a DFI needs to chime in.

Xtreme Mentor
    Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?

Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.

In looking at telemetry data from thousands of traces and focusing on pagefile reads and writes, we find that Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1, Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB. Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.

In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.

[Should] Superfetch be disabled on SSDs?

Yes, for most systems with SSDs.

If the system disk is an SSD, and the SSD performs adequately on random reads and doesn’t have glaring performance issues with random writes or flushes, then Superfetch, boot prefetching, application launch prefetching, ReadyBoost and ReadDrive [should] all be disabled.

Initially, we had configured all of these features to be off on all SSDs, but we encountered sizable performance regressions on some systems. In root causing those regressions, we found that some first generation SSDs had severe enough random write and flush problems that ultimately lead to disk reads being blocked for long periods of time. With Superfetch and other prefetching re-enabled, performance on key scenarios was markedly improved.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/200...rives-and.aspx