Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live:CERN 7Tev, success

Xtreme Addict

Live:CERN 7Tev, success

http://webcast.cern.ch/lhcfirstphysics/

caught this late, just woke up myself. It's a success at CERN, made history.

they remind me of overclockers, if you listen to the scientist talk. Very Excited and eager to go further! hehe.
    Last edited by strange|ife; 03-30-2010 at 04:29 AM.
    ~

Desktop i7 2600 3.40 / Gigabyte P67A UD4 / Armageddon / 4x4GB G.Skill 1333MHz / Zotac GTX285 AMP!
    Server Q8300 2.50 / ASUS P5Q-EM P43 / AC Freezer 7 Pro / 4x1GB Kingston @ 800MHz / 6x1TB WD @ RAID 5
    HTPC i3 530 2.93 / ASUS P7H55-M Pro / Prolimatech Samuel 17 / 2x2GB Mushkin @ 1333MHz / HIS Radeon HD5570
    Notebook: Asus UL30A / Samsung 64GB MLC SSD

Xtreme Addict
    they are replaying earlier footage right now, the 3.5 Tev on the main webcast. Click around the bottom, went to the ATLAS room

they are getting drunk hehe. So much science will come from this, lets just hope they know what they are doing, i have confidence they do. Exciting
    Last edited by strange|ife; 03-30-2010 at 04:05 AM.
    ~

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimr View Post

rofl well said .. nothing happened
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

I am Xtreme
    what? i thought the 17 TeV would be done after the LHC was undergoing maintenance (which can take up to one year) after finishing the current 7 TeV run.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 03-30-2010 at 04:09 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    nothing was suppose to happen at most the black holes created would have been microscopic and would have eaten a very little bit before dissipating. Thus in no way effecting either the LHC or eating the whole world kinnda reminds me of the new star trek nice movie ...
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    what? i thought the 17 TeV would be done after the LHC was undergoing maintenance (which can take up to one year) after finishing the 7 TeV run.

its early, but i swear they said 17Tev. It might be 7, you are right. Would go on google to verify, but gotta head to work=/
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by strange|ife View Post
    its early, but i swear they said 17Tev. It might be 7, you are right. Would go on google to verify, but gotta head to work=/
    On other sites, i read about 7Tev. 14Tev is Max Power of LHC ---> no way it could be 17
    Desktop i7 2600 3.40 / Gigabyte P67A UD4 / Armageddon / 4x4GB G.Skill 1333MHz / Zotac GTX285 AMP!
    Server Q8300 2.50 / ASUS P5Q-EM P43 / AC Freezer 7 Pro / 4x1GB Kingston @ 800MHz / 6x1TB WD @ RAID 5
    HTPC i3 530 2.93 / ASUS P7H55-M Pro / Prolimatech Samuel 17 / 2x2GB Mushkin @ 1333MHz / HIS Radeon HD5570
    Notebook: Asus UL30A / Samsung 64GB MLC SSD

Xtreme Addict
    yes its 7 Tev after watching the press conference.
    ~

Xtreme Addict
    17 TeV
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    what? i thought the 17 TeV would be done after the LHC was undergoing maintenance (which can take up to one year) after finishing the current 7 TeV run.
    not even that.
    It was planned for 7 TeV beams, but later came concerns about the magnets,
    so to surely / safely run at 7 TeV, they would've had to pull it down for
    maintenance for a year; but later they decided to run it at lower energy
    (3.5 TeV) instead and if it's stable, then raise the energy level.

At least that's what a physician friend told me yesterday.

Edit: oh I see now what the confusion is about. It's 3.5 TeV per beam, so
    at the collision of the two beams you have 7 TeV.
    Last edited by Frank M; 03-30-2010 at 04:39 AM.
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R

Xtreme Addict
    they are replaying earlier footage right now, the 3.5 Tev on the main webcast. Click around the bottom, went to the ATLAS room

they are getting drunk hehe. So much science will come from this, lets just hope they know what they are doing, i have confidence they do. Exciting
    What science will come from this? We'll be no closer to knowing how the universe started then what we already "know" now.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Very exciting, stable beams for almost 2h now. The web cast said over 100,000 collisions recorded already.

Some stuff I've heard: the detectors discard 99.8% of the data they record, and even after that 2-3TB/s of data is passed to the storage clusters. If that amount of data was not discarded, the fibre channels to the storage would be much much too slow to keep up with the throughput. Most of this data is them sent out to nearby unis and institutions for processing and storage.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    What science will come from this? We'll be no closer to knowing how the universe started then what we already "know" now.
    LHC is crucial to the future of science as particle physics is pretty much at a stand still now.
    "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Einstein.
    We have no idea what will come of most research, no matter how abstract it seems now. When Fourier was working on Fourier analysis, little did he know that in 200 years, most forms of data compression, all wireless transmissions and quite a few other applications will rely on his work.
    Judging by your quotations marks on "know" and your sig, I suggest you keep your humans-lived-with-dinosaurs coloring books and leave the grown-ups to do their business
    PC: none at the moment
    Lappy: Dell Latitude D520
    CPU: Core Duo T2300E 1.66GHz
    RAM: 1 Gb generic
    VGA: Intel 950 gma
    HDD: 60 GB Hitachi 5400 rpm + 250 GB Phillips external
    Mouse: Razer Lachesis
    Mousepad: Razer Mantis
    Headphones: AKG K701 + LittleDot MK II + Behringer U Control UCA202
    OSes: Fedora 9 - work || XP-games (only DOTA)
    Additional cooling: seated on cigarette packs with custom made USB powered fan

Xtreme Addict
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xel'Naga View Post
    LHC is crucial to the future of science as particle physics is pretty much at a stand still now.
    "If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" Einstein.
    We have no idea what will come of most research, no matter how abstract it seems now. When Fourier was working on Fourier analysis, little did he know that in 200 years, most forms of data compression, all wireless transmissions and quite a few other applications will rely on his work.
    Judging by your quotations marks on "know" and your sig, I suggest you keep your humans-lived-with-dinosaurs coloring books and leave the grown-ups to do their business
    Oh, that's real a intelligent answer. So please tell me what this "research" is going to do to benefit mankind? It's totally useless and a monumental waste of money and resources. I'm just glad it's not my tax money footing the bill for this research. And for your information, we didn't walk with the dinosaurs we ran away from them. LOL...

BTW...my sig is about how people in Science get on by people who are religious. I guess your comprehension is lacking.
    Last edited by freeloader; 03-30-2010 at 07:50 AM.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Oh, that's real a intelligent answer. So please tell me what this "research" is going to do to benefit mankind? It's totally useless and a monumental waste of money and resources. I'm just glad it's not my tax money footing the bill for this research. And for your information, we didn't walk with the dinosaurs we ran away from them. LOL...

BTW...my sig is about how people in Science get on by people who are religious. I guess your comprehension is lacking.

Hey, without any of the "apparently irrelevent to mankind" research that has happened over the last centuary or so, you'd have NONE of the technology that you take for granted today.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    nothing was suppose to happen at most the black holes created would have been microscopic and would have eaten a very little bit before dissipating. Thus in no way effecting either the LHC or eating the whole world kinnda reminds me of the new star trek nice movie ...
    I don't know what they are doing or how dangerous it is. But in quantum physics everything is strange and "small" means "big". We don't know much about black holes, but per definition, a black hole is always microscopic, and it gets more powerful as it gets smaller. It all based on how you observe it. A black hole can be bigger than solar system but could look microscopic to us.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_oslo View Post
    I don't know what they are doing or how dangerous it is. But in quantum physics everything is strange and "small" means "big". We don't know much about black holes, but per definition, a black hole is always microscopic, and it gets more powerful as it gets smaller. It all based on how you observe it. A black hole can be bigger than solar system but could look microscopic to us.
    No, a black hole's horizon can be very large, we don't really know what happens in the middle. It being a singularity seems not to make much physical sense, I believe string theory currently looks at it as having very small, non-zero dimensions.

The possible black holes theorised to be formed in the LHC would be very small, very unstable, and evaporate very quickly.

I am Xtreme
    the only thing i know about black holes makes me really not want to play with them.

Xtreme Enthusiast

Your tax is probably part of it, as it is an international venture.

If it wasn't for science, we wouldn't be here now typing away on our computers, so ifail to see how you think research is a waste of money.

Would you not like to know how the universe came about, or how quantum physics may help us one day, or any other of the questions this experiment may bring about?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post

If it wasn't for science, we wouldn't be here now typing away on our computers, so ifail to see how you think research is a waste of money.

Would you not like to know how the universe came about, or how quantum physics may help us one day, or any other of the questions this experiment may bring about?
    Quantum physics already helps us. Your flash memory chips rely on quantum tunnelling, the semiconductors in your cpu, mri machines, etc etc all rely on quantum mechanical effects.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I can't wait till they start tearing into all the data they are logging. They had better get those super computers crunching away asap, I want some new juicy science to read about.

Why did we pursue flying outside of our atmosphere? Why did we fly to the moon? Why did we fire probes off to the planets and away from our solar system?

Perhaps a little bit closer to something you might understand.. why did we play around with stacks of dissimilar metals? Why did we play with lodestones? Why did we develop capacitors? Why did we develop integrated circuits? Why didn't we just stop with the primitive microprocessors of the 1980s and 1990s?

To say research is useless and a monumental waste of money is to deny yourself a future. My impression of your opinion arrives at the thought of why did we even leave our caves those thousands of years ago, they were comfy and living to 30 was alright. We have no clue what the LHC will show us. Perhaps it'll enlighten us on what exactly matter is made of when they pursue their research into the Higgs boson or "God" particle. Who knows what this could yield.. maybe new forms of energy generation, maybe the assembly and disassembly of matter, maybe it'll just make lots of pretty little explosions.

Research expands your future options. If you don't want to benefit from said research I'd advise you leaving the planet. Unfortunately that requires more research.

Xtreme Addict
    inb4 hungry kids in africa
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post

I don't really wonder about how the universe came about. WE WILL NEVER NOW THE ANSWER TO THAT. I obviously don't believe in the creation theory and I don't believe in the Big Bang theory as well. That's creating something from nothing. Science helps us with many things, but it could also be our eventual downfall if we're not careful with what we're playing with.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by joshd View Post
    No, a black hole's horizon can be very large, we don't really know what happens in the middle. It being a singularity seems not to make much physical sense, I believe string theory currently looks at it as having very small, non-zero dimensions.

The possible black holes theorised to be formed in the LHC would be very small, very unstable, and evaporate very quickly.
    The black hole theories does not say anything about "very unstable, and evaporate very quickly" back hole at all. It actually says that a black hole is always very small.

We know almost nothing about black holes. It is all based on some unproven theories that we can not test and try in laboratory. But based on proven and laboratory-tested quantum physics equations, the same entity can look and behave as wave or particle, all depend on how we observe it. The observant and the observation winkle can change the entity! This is proven science.

The size (and everything else, including the total nature) of a quanta-entity is all based on which context the observant is observing it.

To make it simple, a quanta-entity ca be BIG in it's own context, but we can observe it as small form our perspective. Talking about "very unstable, and evaporate very quickly" is from our perspective, but such a black hole can be "very stable, and never evaporate" in it's own context.
    Last edited by Sam_oslo; 03-30-2010 at 08:39 AM.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast